“Mexican night” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
“Mexican night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

What a great night out great Mexican food and the live music had everyone up and dancing around the sombreros. Taquila trolley fantasic entertainment and atmosphere

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Thank you for your review of our recent Mexican Night, as it was our first themed dinner in the Restaurant it is great to know that you enjoyed it. We haven't decided how to theme our next one and would love to hear your suggestions, you could let us know what you would like to see by posting your idea on our Facebook page (Ambassador Hotel) or our Tweet us (LiveAmbassador).
Thanks once again, we look forward to seeing you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

Went to the Mexican Night last Friday, with my friends. The cocktails were amazing and the food was top class. The service was suitably fun and friendly, with great music creating just the right atmosphere. Can't wait for the next themed night they come up with! Don't listen to the other petty reviews, this a great hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of our recent Mexican Night, it was our first themed dinner in the Restaurant so it is great to know that it went well from your point of view. We haven't decided how to theme our next one and would love to hear your thoughts, you could let us know what you would like to see by posting your idea on our Facebook page (Ambassador Hotel) or our Tweet us (LiveAmbassador).
Thank you once again, we look forward to seeing you soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

Our stay at the Ambassador Hotel was short and not at all sweet. We had intended to spend one night there, however even this was over optimistic.

On arrival, we were sent to a dark, old fashioned, cramped and dirty room. Once we discovered the questionable stains on the carpet we called reception to be moved.

The staff were understanding and immediately admitted the room was sub standard and not yet refurbished (why put us there in the first place!!). We moved rooms upstairs and things were seemingly much better.

In actual fact this was just the start of our problems! In the new room, stains on, in and around the toilet left little to the imagination. Alongside this the shower curtain and mat were stained orange and brown.

With all this in mind, we called down to reception. It was getting late and we were only staying for one night, so decided that we'd put up with the state of the room if cleaned and offered some sort of compensation.

The duty manager wouldn't come and see the room, citing "I'll take your word for it". He told us that if we insisted, the room could be cleaned and the shower curtain replaced, however not a single penny could be taken off the price of the room. His attitude made us feel we were a huge inconvenience for him. We suggested that because of our terrible experience, he could reimburse us for the breakfasts we had already paid for. This was laughed off, and then the worst example of customer service we've ever experienced.

The manager clearly said that if we carried on this conversation, he could only offer us a refund and we'd have to find alternative accomodation. Basically "If you don't like it, go home". Once this ultimatum had been offered, there was no way this place was getting our money. By this time (9.30ish) we decided we may as well go home as to try find anywhere else.

All in all, if the cleanliness and standards didn't put us off this hotel, the absolute lack of customer service skills from the management definitely did.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DannyMcG_11
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Thank you for posting your review. Clearly you were very dissatisfied with your experience at The Ambassador however I would like to add my version of events in order to redress the balance.
Following your arrival at the hotel my colleague received a call from your room to say that you were not satisfied with the accommodation offered and that you felt that it was not worth the price charged; at no point during this call were specific comments made about cleanliness, room size or a stained carpet. Also, the member of staff with whom you spoke did not and would not say that the room was sub standard; it simply is not. I would like to state at this stage that I am very confident that the price charged was reasonable for the standard of accommodation.
In order to resolve your initial complaint you were offered one of our New Style rooms, which has been recently refurbished. This room would normally have been more expensive, however the upgrade fee was waived as a good will gesture. Once this offer was accepted my colleague accompanied you to the new room, offering assistance as required. When my colleague departed the new room you were heard to state how much you thought the room was worth, a figure less than half of the agreed rate.
When you made a further complaint regarding the cleanliness of the new room I spoke with you personally. I was told that the bathroom was dirty and that I could come and take a look if I wanted to, I did say that I was happy to take your word for this as I have no interest in entering into arguments with our guests. I offered to come to the room and clean the bathroom myself, at a time convenient to you; that this would be done was never in question, I certainly did not indicate that this would be done only 'if you insisted'.
If any of our guests have cause to complain we do our very best to resolve the problem as soon as possible and with minimal inconvenience to the guest.
At this stage you asked me what compensation I would be offering and told me that the least I could offer was to remove the charge for breakfast from your account. Your request for reimbursement for your breakfast was not 'laughed off'; I simply explained that due to the fact that I had offered to resolve your complaint and because you had already been upgraded free of charge that I would be unable to offer a reduction in rate.
At this stage you told me that you would accept my offer to have the bathroom cleaned and would discuss the matter of compensation with me the following morning. This statement made it quite clear that you had no intention of paying the agreed rate for the accommodation and so I felt the most suitable solution was to offer a full refund and my assistance with finding alternative accommodation, an offer which you advised me that you may take up before ending the call.
I am unhappy to have been quoted as saying "If you don't like it, go home", these were not my words and I made no ultimatum.
I secured two alternative hotel rooms in Scarborough (should you have chosen to depart) on a night when the town was exceptionally busy. Shortly after passing this information to my colleague at reception (around 8.00pm) she informed me that you had departed, accepting the full refund and without accepting the information of the alternative hotel rooms which I had secured for you.
Inspection of the bathroom in the second room which you occupied revealed that the shower curtain and bath mat were clean but tired, these were replaced immediately; the rest of the room and bathroom were in perfect order.
I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations and apologise for the housekeeping oversights on this occasion, whilst they were unacceptable they were very easily rectified and could have been so with minimal inconvenience to yourselves. The Room Attendant who cleaned this room prior to your arrival has been with the company for some 10 years and usually receives praise from our guests on her standards.
I am completely confident that the standard of accommodation was more than acceptable and that our rates are in keeping with other hotels in Scarborough of a similar standard, the numerous calls that I made to secure alternative accommodation for you proved this.
We pride ourselves on our customer service and have a large number of satisfied guests who return to the Hotel on a regular basis. On this occasion we provided the same high level of customer service that we always do but you made it perfectly clear that what you were looking for was a huge reduction in price.
Thank you once again for your comments.

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

Just returned from a three night stay in a premier deluxe room(110), i was staying in a family sea view room with my two children. The room itself was nice with a double bed and a single, recently refurbished, just a shame about the ripped sheets. The reception staff were lovely and nothing was too much trouble for them throughout our all of our stay. Breakfast on the first morning was fine and plenty to choose from. On the second morning we arrived for breakfast at 9.20 (breakfast is 8.00am till 10.00am) only to find there was hardly any food left and when i asked about this i was told that they had been busy earlier, so had to wait a considerable time for it to be replenished. Once we had got our breakfast my children fancied a croissent with jam only to find everything had been put away and it wasnt even 10.00am. I had to knock on the kitchen door because all the staff had disapeared, the young girl then got me one and brought it to the table. On the third night there was a wedding at the hotel and the music played on till one o'clock, which was a bit of a nightmare when our room was right above the function. I rang reception at midnight and was told the music would go on till one am, which is fair enough because its a wedding, i just dont think a family should be put above that noise without prior warning as my children could not sleep both from the noise of the music and people shouting underneath the window. The final straw was on the final morning when we went down for breakfast. I have never seen anything like it! I went to the desk to be seated at my table and was just about to be taken to my table by a young female member of staff when a man who i believe is the restaurant manager came and rudely said no, then told us to go and wait as there was no table when there quite clearly was. I then said i would go and wait and could i have a coffee whilst i waited only to be told no and that they were too busy. I then went outside and sat in the sun with the children with some fellow guests. The man from the restaurant then came out about ten minutes and said that a table was ready and i said that i wasnt very happy, he then started trying to justify the situation and his manner and attitude was disgusting, i asked him to go inside and go away as i didnt think that he should be stood on the steps of the hotel arguing with me infront of my children and fellow guests. He just stood there saying 'say what you want,say what you want, im not bothered'. I could not believe how unprofessional and rude this man was. The fellow guests were horrified. I then went in for breakfast only to find no breakfast left at all apart from a couple of burnt sausages and i saw a lady that had been stood waiting for bacon for over fifteen minutes. I asked for some white toast only to be told there was no bread left!!!! I was then seen by one of the manager who didnt really know what to say. I then went outside to sit and as people were passing, i just heard one complaint after another about the breakfast and service. I understnd that it can get a bit hectic if the hotel is full but this was totally out of control! I work for the NHS and with the public and if i ever spoke to anyone like that i would lose my job instantly. I suggest that he goes on a customer service course! When I first arrived I had priced up a return visit for august with the children as they love Scarborough, who would want to return for more of that abuse. Really dissapointed,really upset, not what you want when you go away for a break away with children. Still in shock!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank twinkle1003
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your stay fell below your expectations.
I am glad that you found the accommodation to be satisfactory but do apologise for the ripped sheets, this should have been spotted by the person who made up the beds and I am sorry that it was missed. I trust that any ripped sheets were replaced when you reported this to reception.
I am sorry that your experience at Breakfast was a bad one, weekends are often busy between 9.30am and 10am however the buffet should always be plentiful and of the same high quality that you experienced on the first morning of your stay. I have spoken to the Restaurant Manager regarding the delay for a table on the final morning of your stay. As the Hotel was exceptionally busy tables weree short and unfortunately when you arrived for Breakfast there were already some people awaiting tables hence why you could not be seated immediately. I understand that my colleague came to advise you that a table was ready as soon as this was possible, as I was not present myself I cannot comment on your conversation with the Restaurant Manager although I would like to say that if your account of his attitude is most out of character.
I am sorry that you chose not to contact me with your complaint as I am sure that we could have resolved it. If you would like to contact me to discuss this matter further I would appreciate your time. TripAdvisor's terms prevent me from posting my contact details here, however you should find them on your booking confirmation or invoice.
Thank you once again for your review, I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to discuss your comments further and perhaps return to The Ambassador so that we can redeem ourselves in your valued opinion.
Chesham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

The Premier deluxe room was OK but the TV was so small we had to sit on the end of the bed to watch it.
We ate in the restaurnt on the Saturday evening and it is the first time I have ever had tough fish not good. They did not charge us for it hooray.
When asked why the TV was so small the reply was is it oh dear then she laughed.
Would not recommend it and will not go back. The view from the room was very good.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your stay fell below your expectations and wish that you had contacted me to express your dissatisfaction; I am sure that your complaint could have been resolved.
We are currently in the process of upgrading the televisions in our guest bedrooms and I do apologise for the way in which your comments regarding the size of the television were met.
I am sorry that the evening meal was not the usual standard, the Chef usually receives praise on all of his menus.
I would have liked the opportunity to discuss your complaint with you and should you wish to contact me directly it would be much appreciated. We want our guests to leave happy after every single visit and would love the opportunity to show you how good we really are. TripAdvisor's terms prevent me from posting my contact details here but you can find them on your booking confirmation or our website.
Thank you once again, I hope to be able to speak to you soon.
glossop
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 4 weeks on business had a different room each week

all were very poor and tv signal was poor in all rooms,

Took ages to get any hot water to shower first thing in the morning .The

beds have seen better days , food and staff are nice , shame about the rooms

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Billboy1055
Selby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Despite a noisy wedding celebration going on under our room, it didn't spoil the great location, superb room and top breakfast we had.
We have booked again for a short break in June.

• Stayed December 2010