“Really Upset”

Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
“Really Upset”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Just returned from a three night stay in a premier deluxe room(110), i was staying in a family sea view room with my two children. The room itself was nice with a double bed and a single, recently refurbished, just a shame about the ripped sheets. The reception staff were lovely and nothing was too much trouble for them throughout our all of our stay. Breakfast on the first morning was fine and plenty to choose from. On the second morning we arrived for breakfast at 9.20 (breakfast is 8.00am till 10.00am) only to find there was hardly any food left and when i asked about this i was told that they had been busy earlier, so had to wait a considerable time for it to be replenished. Once we had got our breakfast my children fancied a croissent with jam only to find everything had been put away and it wasnt even 10.00am. I had to knock on the kitchen door because all the staff had disapeared, the young girl then got me one and brought it to the table. On the third night there was a wedding at the hotel and the music played on till one o'clock, which was a bit of a nightmare when our room was right above the function. I rang reception at midnight and was told the music would go on till one am, which is fair enough because its a wedding, i just dont think a family should be put above that noise without prior warning as my children could not sleep both from the noise of the music and people shouting underneath the window. The final straw was on the final morning when we went down for breakfast. I have never seen anything like it! I went to the desk to be seated at my table and was just about to be taken to my table by a young female member of staff when a man who i believe is the restaurant manager came and rudely said no, then told us to go and wait as there was no table when there quite clearly was. I then said i would go and wait and could i have a coffee whilst i waited only to be told no and that they were too busy. I then went outside and sat in the sun with the children with some fellow guests. The man from the restaurant then came out about ten minutes and said that a table was ready and i said that i wasnt very happy, he then started trying to justify the situation and his manner and attitude was disgusting, i asked him to go inside and go away as i didnt think that he should be stood on the steps of the hotel arguing with me infront of my children and fellow guests. He just stood there saying 'say what you want,say what you want, im not bothered'. I could not believe how unprofessional and rude this man was. The fellow guests were horrified. I then went in for breakfast only to find no breakfast left at all apart from a couple of burnt sausages and i saw a lady that had been stood waiting for bacon for over fifteen minutes. I asked for some white toast only to be told there was no bread left!!!! I was then seen by one of the manager who didnt really know what to say. I then went outside to sit and as people were passing, i just heard one complaint after another about the breakfast and service. I understnd that it can get a bit hectic if the hotel is full but this was totally out of control! I work for the NHS and with the public and if i ever spoke to anyone like that i would lose my job instantly. I suggest that he goes on a customer service course! When I first arrived I had priced up a return visit for august with the children as they love Scarborough, who would want to return for more of that abuse. Really dissapointed,really upset, not what you want when you go away for a break away with children. Still in shock!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank twinkle1003
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your stay fell below your expectations.
I am glad that you found the accommodation to be satisfactory but do apologise for the ripped sheets, this should have been spotted by the person who made up the beds and I am sorry that it was missed. I trust that any ripped sheets were replaced when you reported this to reception.
I am sorry that your experience at Breakfast was a bad one, weekends are often busy between 9.30am and 10am however the buffet should always be plentiful and of the same high quality that you experienced on the first morning of your stay. I have spoken to the Restaurant Manager regarding the delay for a table on the final morning of your stay. As the Hotel was exceptionally busy tables weree short and unfortunately when you arrived for Breakfast there were already some people awaiting tables hence why you could not be seated immediately. I understand that my colleague came to advise you that a table was ready as soon as this was possible, as I was not present myself I cannot comment on your conversation with the Restaurant Manager although I would like to say that if your account of his attitude is most out of character.
I am sorry that you chose not to contact me with your complaint as I am sure that we could have resolved it. If you would like to contact me to discuss this matter further I would appreciate your time. TripAdvisor's terms prevent me from posting my contact details here, however you should find them on your booking confirmation or invoice.
Thank you once again for your review, I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to discuss your comments further and perhaps return to The Ambassador so that we can redeem ourselves in your valued opinion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2011

The Premier deluxe room was OK but the TV was so small we had to sit on the end of the bed to watch it.
We ate in the restaurnt on the Saturday evening and it is the first time I have ever had tough fish not good. They did not charge us for it hooray.
When asked why the TV was so small the reply was is it oh dear then she laughed.
Would not recommend it and will not go back. The view from the room was very good.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your stay fell below your expectations and wish that you had contacted me to express your dissatisfaction; I am sure that your complaint could have been resolved.
We are currently in the process of upgrading the televisions in our guest bedrooms and I do apologise for the way in which your comments regarding the size of the television were met.
I am sorry that the evening meal was not the usual standard, the Chef usually receives praise on all of his menus.
I would have liked the opportunity to discuss your complaint with you and should you wish to contact me directly it would be much appreciated. We want our guests to leave happy after every single visit and would love the opportunity to show you how good we really are. TripAdvisor's terms prevent me from posting my contact details here but you can find them on your booking confirmation or our website.
Thank you once again, I hope to be able to speak to you soon.
glossop
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 4 weeks on business had a different room each week

all were very poor and tv signal was poor in all rooms,

Took ages to get any hot water to shower first thing in the morning .The

beds have seen better days , food and staff are nice , shame about the rooms

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Billboy1055

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Despite a noisy wedding celebration going on under our room, it didn't spoil the great location, superb room and top breakfast we had.
We have booked again for a short break in June.

• Stayed December 2010
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2011

just wanted to say we had a lovely night in your hotel booked last min on late rooms for £59 well worth the money room was lovely and very smart and food was also lovely , will be back again thankyou

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I had my hen party at the hotel on saturday 28th May. There were 20 of us and the staff in the bar/restaurant couldn't have been more polite, helpful and attentive. I could not fault the food, every course was gorgeous and everyone in our party said the same. The decor in the bar and restaurant was lovely and very modern. We didn't stay in the hotel as we all live in Scarborough but my brother and his girlfriend stayed a few months ago and said that the hotel accommodation was beautiful. All in all, I would imagine that you're not going to find a hotel better than this if you come to stay in Scarborough!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2011

the staff was very friendly and help full .also very good as they help us step by step with our civil partnership .with out all there help i dont think every thing would have gone so smoothly.also quotes from our guests the food was first class as was the hotel.
i dont think we could have picked a better venue for our civil partnership.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank chadwicktaylor
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing to hold your Civil Partnership at The Ambassador. It was a real pleasure to meet you both and all of your guests and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Cogratulations and best wishes for the future!