“Delightful Experience”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed March 26, 2011

This hotel is situated at the spa end of town which gives a splendid panoramic view of the bay. We were allocated a recently refurbished room which ticked all the boxes. The staff were courteous and efficient. The food was also excellent as was the nightly entertainment for one of the nights of our stay. I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YorkshireCatnip
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2011

Thank you for your review, I was pleased to read how much you had enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your comments regarding the entertainment, we have recently changed our schedule and now have a live band on Saturday nights as well as the solo vocalists through the week.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2011

Stayed for the second time, had a better room this time. The room had been recently refurbished and had a flat screen TV. Bed was very comfortable. Shame that the refurb did not extend to the bathroom which looked a bit tired. The pool spa is very nice and have used it both times I stayed. Good breakfast and excellent food in the reatuarant. Will be staying here again if I can get the great rates from Late Rooms.co.uk

1  Thank pthomp52Ramsbury

Thank you for your kind review, I am glad that you found the accommodation comfortable. We are planning to commence a full refurbishment of some of our Bathrooms very soon to bring them up to the standard of our Premier Deluxe rooms!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon and I would recommend checking our website for the best rates. You can also join us on Facebook where you will be first to find out about our great offers and get the chance to win a free stay in one of our competitions, just search for 'Ambassador Hotel'.

Reviewed March 21, 2011

stayed on 1st jan this year and had a modernised family room, the only fault was the carpet was so new and thick the door was very difficult to open or close so very dangerous in a fire situation, the comfort of the room was lovely, but really think hotels that offer a family room need to realise that they do not only need tea and coffee for 2 but need to offer juice and perhaps a few sweets as this is what children usually want, asked at reception but was just given an empty glass from the bar!!!!!!, the pool was as lovely as ever even though the jets were not working, breakfast was just amazing everything you could want was there, a good night was had but just need to consider the children not just the adults

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay on the whole. I have read your comments regarding offering juice and sweets in our family rooms and we will give this some consideration.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed March 13, 2011

The hotel is in a great location overlooking South Bay. Some of the rooms have been renovated, unfortunately I was allocated one that had not been. wall paper was peeling, holes in wall, broken head board (two single beds pushed into a double)- doors falling off furniture, massive gap at bottom of door allowing music from two floors down to be audible. shower in room didnt work and bath too small for larger person. room extremely hot despite turning off all radiators and opening window (right onto outside smoking area?). Despite the room being no better than 2 star the remainder of the hotel is very good. food is excellent and the staff very helpful. conference facilities are very good. didnt bother asking for a move of rooms basically as the hotel was full - not a lot of point really. the renovated rooms are very nice however - if you are staying at this hotel I would recommend that you ask for one of the newly renovated rooms and not room 114. I am a Scarborough resident and only stayed due to circumstances. i would have preferred to have stayed at home for a decent shower. Dont let me put you off the hotel - it is nice, just avoid the old shabby unrenovated rooms.

2  Thank faunty1021
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2011

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your room fell below expectations, we do have an ongoing refurbishment programme and plan to undertake further bedrooms later this year. In the meantime we have noted the maintenance faults which you have raised and these have been attended too. Although the hotel was very busy whilst you were with us it is always worth speaking to a member of the team as I am sure we would have been able to rectify some of the faults immediately. The room you occupied overlooks our 'secret garden', smoking is not permitted in this area and I do apologise if anyone had disregarded the prohibitive signage.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2011

I'd like to say yet again how happy we were with the Ambassador. We spent four comfortable nights and enjoyed the breakfast and dinners. The staff were an absolute delight and made us very welcome. The new refurbishment is great and the hotel is spotless everywhere. One disappointment was the ban on dogs who have always been welcomed in the past. I suppose a few irresponsible owners have spoilt it for the rest. We have always brought our elderly little dog in the past and if she is with us next year we will have to once again make alternative arrangements for her or stay somewhere else. It is a pity because she loves staying at the Ambassador as much as we do and it doesn't feel right leaving such an important member of the family out!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank MGJohnson
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2011

Thank you for your kind review, I have passed your feedback on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2011

I stayed at this hotel while walking the Cleveland Way and found it excellent value. The room was clean and modern and the spa facilities were a real treat for my aching muscles. It was in a good location, near the town centre and with nice views along the seafront. The staff were welcoming and friendly and even gave me a free upgrade when they learned I was walking the Cleveland Way. The bar and restaurant were comfortable and the food and drinks were reasonably priced. Overall, it would be difficult to find a better hotel for the price in Scarborough and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank sally098

Thank you for your kind review, it is always a pleasure to know that our guests have had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Ambassador soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2011

Stayed for a weekend conference and perfectly situated to take the funicular tram car down the cliff to the Spa/ conference centre. Excellent and plentiful breakfasts. Evening dinner [Table d'hote] OK - not much choice, though fairly good a la carte and cheap bar snack options available. Excellent live entertainment on both weekend nights was a bonus. Opted for room [212] with adjacent 'snug' all recently refurbished to high standard. Comfy large bed. The bathroom was a let down, cramped and poor utilisation of space, cracked bath panels, and seemed rather outdated in comparison to the contemporary decor of the suite generally.
I felt rather perturbed to answer room phone at 09.50 as we were packing [on day we were due to check out] to be told impertinently by female receptionist ' She was just checking to make sure we were still there as we had a bill to pay'!! Whatever happened to P.R. and diplomacy in the world of hospitality?
I also enjoyed an evening dip in the warm basement swimming pool - lovely!

1  Thank Alexandra72

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our location so convenient for the Spa complex. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food and decor of the hotel; the next phase in our refurbishment will undertake some of the bathrooms and should commence soon.
I am sorry that our receptionist called so early, we do occasionally contact guests in their rooms after check-out time in case they wish to extend their stay. I will ask my colleagues to check the time before making these calls in future.
Thank you once again for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.