“Mr”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of The Buttercross

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
main bedroon with on suite wc and basin, sea view
Enter a caption for your photo
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
kieranhuk...
“Mr ”
Reviewed August 2, 2015 for a stay in July 2015

Stayed here from 25th July until the 1st August and have to say it was absolutely fantastic. Stayed here with my wife, two children and friend, very spacious, clean and fantastic location just a stone throw away from the sea front. This place has everything you need, beds are comfy and it was a pleasure to stay here for the week. Michael allowed us to drop our suitcases in before the house was ready which was very nice of him to do as we came by train. Will definitely recommend to friends and family and will hopefully stay here again.

PennyFlin...
Hereford, England
“Handy location but not well equipped”
Reviewed July 28, 2015 for a stay in May 2015

Great we can take pets. Location very handy for beach,seafront, castle etc. Parking nearby is on permit basis which was rarely a problem, epecially as the house is so near facilities that we hardly needed to drive. The house was clean but there were many things that reminded me of renting pre Internet , sometime in the 80s perhaps. Towels are not provided, which is stated in the details but so rare as to be easily overlooked. There were two tea towels and one hand towel for five people for a whole week and no dishwasher - so basically take your own or wash a lot. There was one previously used dishcloth and sponge, a stinginess that is really not good enough and a single tablecloth, which we used as it was on the table on arrival, but it became very dirty over a week. Soap, dishwashing liquid etc may not be provided.So again the advice I would give is take your own if you choose to stay here. There are no serving spoons and crockery and cutlery needs to be frequently washed ( even during a meal) so there is enough. The decking boards in the back yard are not fixed so,leaning to hang washing ( using the few pegs provided),you can easily be tipped and lose balance onto the lower level. So take great care.The extra TV channels we were told about appeared not to work. Either that or we needed more instructions. The person who fitted the tiny wash basin in the bathroom with a cupboard above has clearly never used it, as it is extremely awkward to clean your teeth or wash your face without banging your head. As the bathroom is next to the kitchen, it is easier to clean your teeth in there! Hooks are needed for hanging clothes while using the bathroom but there aren't any. The owner was helpful prior to and on our arrival but we got strange text messages after our departure asking about a curtain rail support which he clearly thought we had removed or hidden! Eventually I simply declined to reply as the implication was too ridiculous. Furnishings are basic, (with some of the wardrobes showing signs of falling apart) and soft furnishings do not match, but are clean and adequate. We found it difficult to sleep as the beds were hot. The reason for this became apparent when we stripped them on leaving. They are fitted with PLASTIC MATTRESS COVERS! Understandable on the single beds if they are to be occupied by toddlers. Entirely disgraceful otherwise.This property compares unfavourably to others we have rented in the immediate area.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Access to local amenities.
Liked least: Plastic sheets
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
People with pets
Management Response
Aug 9, 2015
Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay

There are some good constructive points, but I do leave my mobile number so any problems can be resolved straight away,
last thing I want is my guests not having a good stay
I don't mind changing a light bulb, smoke alarm batteries and so on,
so pegs and tea towels are not problem

nobody has mentioned the protective mattress covers used on the single beds in the 3 years I have been using them, but I will buy some non PVC for when adults are using those beds

bathroom cabinet. Was higher but some ladies couldn't see into the mirror, thought I had a happy medium

I will purchase bigger tea towels and also leave an extra table cloth in future

I will have a look at decking and see about paving it during off season

The now TV box was installed that day and I didn't have any instructions myself and it was not advertised when you booked your stay.
I like to think I am improving all the time for my guests

Apologies for leaving my cleaning sponge and cloth behind.

Yes things did get off badly over the towels which are not supplied nor advertised

Normally I wouldn't mention trivial damage like the curtain rail but I had to try find the missing bracket to repair in time for the next guest
having already drove home for tools once

and yes some thing's are basic, not every body looks after things and believe it or not some adults even wet the bed, and I have to replace the bed because I don't use a PVC but a cotton protector on the double

Apologies again, sorry if I spoilt your sons honeymoon. But I was only a phone call away

yours sincerely

Michael
tommyfren...
Maghera, United Kingdom
“Excellence house in a great location”
Reviewed July 19, 2015 for a stay in July 2015

Fantastic house, a short distance from the seafront. Mick has included everything you could want, from wifi & now tv(for when the kids go to bed) to board games and buckets and spades for the kids. The house had a very modern decor and was spotlessly clean. As with most houses in this area there is only on street parking but Mick met us with the keys on arrival and kept us a parking space outside the house. Parking passes are provided and we usually got parked outside the house or within 100m from the house. If we are returning to Scarborough next year we will be looking no further than The Buttercross for our holiday stay.

Traveling group: Young Children
Families with young children
Anita_Shu...
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Excellent Accomadation”
Reviewed April 7, 2015 for a stay in April 2015

Stayed here for 4 nights just got home. Excellent house has everything you need, excellent location, very comfy bed, very clean, WIFI, 3 bedrooms plenty of storage and coat hangers plenty of drawer storage as well, parking permits supplied.2 mins walk from the harbour and main street of Scarborough. We will definitely recommend to friends and family and would stay here again

Liked best: Location
Liked least: Everything Perfect
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Families with young children
steve k
bourne
“Lovely house in s good location”
Reviewed March 22, 2015 for a stay in March 2015

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights. Great location close to the South Bay and all the amenities. The house was lovely and clean and very well equipped with everything you would need. Would definitely recommend a stay !

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
ANTHONY T
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 23, 2015 for a stay in February 2015

Can't fault The Buttercross we had a great time :)
Well placed and handy for the beach or walk into town or local eateries

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
joanne t
Worksop, United Kingdom
“Perfect location, lovely property, great communication”
Reviewed February 2, 2015 for a stay in January 2015

We just stayed at this property with our 2 children (14 yr old and 8 month baby) and grandparents. It was a cold windy weekend but we had a fabulous time together as a family. The property is welcoming, clean, warm, nicely decorated. Pillows and quilts are good quality and spotless. The property is fully equipped with everything you need for a holiday rental; from freeview to wine glasses to washing up liquid to parking discs. We also made use of the highchair and cotbed - both in excellent condition.
My 14yr old pulled ligaments just before we set off and Mick kindly found information to enable us to hire a wheelchair for the weekend.
The seafront and harbour really is 1 min away and the town centre is less than a 5 min walk. We definitely hope to book again and will certainly recommend to friends and family.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Location and cleanliness of property
Traveling group: Young Children
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing