“service and general quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ashburton House

and 1 more site!
Ashburton House
Ranked #30 of 182 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“service and general quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights after christmas...from 27th/30....had a nice quite single room which was comfortable and clean with good shower and tea and coffee provided..The family who run this B&B were friendly and hard working..even though breakfast was a little early for me...steven and margret did their best to give me what i wanted and the service was good as they knew my health was not good,however the food was plenty and of very good quality and i could relax as it is private and nobody bothered me. I am a smoker but would not smoke on their property and i do not smoke at home in my house as i have a child and am a single father,They did not bother if i went out front to smoke..plus they kindly did me a favor and i found them to be thoughtfull so overall i do not think you will find better for your money in Scarborough since i know the town anyway....All the best to Ashburton and thanks to Steven and Margret!

Room Tip: All the rooms are worth the price....best eggs i have ever had..over easy...nicely cooked
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel room was perfect for a family of four as it was in essence two rooms. It had two bathrooms and two bedrooms separated by an interior door. There were two TVs with DVD players.
The breakfast was excellent. The price of £80 was good value. We have paid same for Premier Inn and like very much staying at these but the benefit of a split room with the two bathrooms made it better. Scarborough seaside is lovely too and is a short walk away. We had a lovely three days.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Selby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights 11th to 14th December. Nice comfortable rooms and excellent breakfast. Friendly and obliging owners. Well situated with a couple of good real ale pubs two doors away either side of the b and b. Easy walk into town and to sea front.
Would definitely not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockport, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Just spent two nights at the Ashburton Hotel as part of a group of four (two couples) and was very impressed by the standard of the accommodation and the breakfast provided. We got a great late season deal plus I found a 5% discount available through one particular booking agency. The total price for two night’s bed and breakfast, for two couples, was a staggeringly cheap £152. This was one of the main reasons for choosing this accommodation plus the good location and the very good reviews on Trip Advisor.
The hotel is situated on Valley Road, on the South Shore, and is very easy to find if travelling by road. First impressions on arrival were OK.. There is nothing spectacular about the appearance of the hotel situated, as it is, amongst some very splendid houses indeed but it looks smart, clean and well maintained. There is off-road parking for seven or eight cars available at the front of the hotel and this is a welcome bonus. It is about a five to ten minute walk to the sea-front from the hotel down a slight hill. Worth noting is that, at this time of year, there are no cliff cars running to take you from the sea front up to the town and the walk can be quite arduous for the less mobile. Just through the front door is the small reception area and it was nice and warm inside. A bell is rung to attract the attention of the proprietor and check in is a quick and simple procedure. The stairs to the upstairs rooms are immediately on the left and the dining room is straight ahead. There does not appear to be any type of lounge or communal area or, at least, if there was we didn’t see it or have our attention drawn to it. We had been allocated adjacent rooms 5 and 7 on the top floor and politely refused the offer of assistance with our limited baggage. It was, however, nice to be asked. The hall and staircase are both very well decorated and furnished and have a nice feel and pleasant aroma to them due to the presence of pot-pourri on every landing. There are some magnificent seascapes adorning the walls also.
On entering our room (we chose number 5) we were greeted by a very pleasant, adequately sized, nicely furnished and decorated, oddly shaped space. I say oddly shaped as we were virtually in the roof space and the ceiling sloped accordingly. There was a nice wardrobe, dressing table and two bedside cabinets all in matching style. There is a comfortable leather armchair and a small flat screen, wall mounted TV. The TV is equipped with ‘freeview’ so there are plenty of channels available and spending a lot of time in the room was not our intention. The bed is positioned with the headboard against the wall where the windows are located. The room is a fair size with plenty of space to walk around the bed without bumping into any of the furniture. The only thing was, that on my side of the bed, the slope in the ceiling made it a little precarious when getting out of bed in the dark. It would have been easy for a big chap like me to have banged my head. The room is nicely decorated in fairly neutral colours and my only negative observation was a touch of damp near the top of the window frames that was visible through the wall paper. There are three lamps, an electric alarm clock, a hairdryer and the kettle which all seem to use the same socket which gives the impression of it being somewhat over loaded. I’m sure there’s no danger but it’s something I wouldn’t necessarily do at home. The brew facilities provided are of adequate standard with good supplies of tea, coffee, milk and sugar. One sachet of hot chocolate and one packet of biscuits are also provided. These are replenished daily and extras are also provided on request.
The bathroom is a good size housing a small shower cabinet and a full sized pedestal and sink. The toiletries supplied are OK for a short stay and there were two toilet rolls of relatively poor quality. The water pressure in the shower was slightly low but, again, could be persevered with over a short stay. The heated towel rail was turned off on arrival and we had to turn it on at the socket. The heating, in general, is on a timer and is not on all day but kept the room nice and warm when necessary.
There was nothing to complain about with regard to the standard and cleanliness of the accommodation whatsoever. The bedding and pillows were clean and of good quality and the bed was comfortable. We did have a window slightly open on the first night for fresh air but this caused the bedroom door to bang so we kept it shut the next night. In general we slept well and awoke ready for breakfast.
Just a quick mention of the other room (number 7). It was just like ours but, I’d guess, 20% larger due simply to the layout of the building. This was a great source of amusement throughout the weekend and references to corner baths, separate lounges, butlers, west wings etc etc etc were bandied around remorselessly.
Breakfast is served from 8-30 until 9-30 and is of excellent quality. There is a nice selection of fresh and dried fruit, cereals, yoghurts and fruit juice. We all opted for the full house breakfast which comprised, bacon, sausage, fried egg, black pudding, mushrooms, fried bread, beans and tomato. The inclusion of black pudding, as standard, always registers a plus point in my reckoning. Everything is cooked to order and presented hot and fresh. Eggs can be cooked to your liking but we all opted for fried. Other options, including kippers, were also available. Orders for toast and hot drinks are taken before the main breakfast order and this is where my only real gripe, of the entire weekend, arose. The coffee was not very hot on either day and the excellent, freshly cooked, breakfast was served on cold plates. Also the initial toast allocation seemed a little miserly, three rounds between four people. I guess we could have asked for more but would have preferred not to have needed to. All in all though, the breakfast experience was fine. The few staff that we encountered were all friendly, approachable and efficient and seemed happy to help.
An added bonus is the proximity of a local bar called ‘Cellars’ which is two buildings further down the hill towards the sea front. This bar served hearty, good value, evening meals to a decent pub-food standard. They also serve a breakfast on Saturday and a Sunday lunch. On our first evening there was also a live band performing until nearly midnight. They were very good and played a selection of rock and blues which is right up my street. With a decent selection of beers, lagers and cider plus guest ales, this bar provided us with our evening entertainment for both nights of our stay although the Sunday night was just spent drinking and chatting.
We spent a day in Whitby on the Sunday and only a short time exploring Scarborough as we had visited several times previously. What surprised me was the fact that all the amusement arcades, shops and fast food outlets were still open this late in the season. A nice bonus if that’s your type of thing.
In conclusion I would not hesitate to stay at the Ashburton again and will be recommending it to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Room 7 is bigger than Room 5
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter H
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

we visit the ashburton at least three times a year , to be honest we wouldnt go anywhere else now, we always recieve high standards , cleanliness and a real home from home , i usually visit with my daughter with me (whos 9) and she loves it and is made to feel very welcome.
The breakfasts are really enjoyable with homecooked , fresh,local products and even though there is a menu to choose from you are more than welcome to swap and change your items , which is handy when you have fussy children.
The rooms are clean, cosy and very welcoming , i would recommend this hotel to young and old and will be visting again in april , see you then :)

Room Tip: room 11 four poster bed , just lovely x
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sarahr132
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I enjoyed my stay in the hotel! It was quiet, bed was comfortable and the room lovely and warm.
Breakfast beautifully cooked and served. Plenty tea and coffee and little extras like tissues, hair and body washes and hair dryer. Also clock radio was very useful! Lovely stay and will be back with relatives. Many thanks

Room Tip: My single room was 8 and was lovely with I think a 4foot bed and nice bedding!
Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Hello, we stayed here on this date for our anniversary. We had tickets for a show at the Spa and used this guest house as our home for the evening. Initially on walking into the guest house I was pleasantly surprised to enter into a lovey hallway that smelt lovely (clearly they use a really good air fresherner, I think it was one of those that changes fragrances 3 times on a cycle). The propriertor who welcomed us was friendly and cheerful and assured us that if we neeeded any assistance then don't hesitate to ring the bell or call if we needed them. We stayed in room 2 which was a room which had a very comfy double bed and a single bed also. The room had an ensuite shower room which was nicely decorated. I like fully tiled bathrooms. In the room you could access the free wifi service which was clearly indicated how to log on in the guest directory. The room was tastefully decorated with wooden furniture and a tub chair. Tea and coffee and even hot chocolate making facilities were available in the room. There was a little lcd flatscreen tv in the room which was nicely situated on the wall to the left of the main bedroom door. Dimmed lighting in the room was lush, and there was also plenty of bedside lamps. Their was also a decent hairdryer in the room in the top drawer of the dressing table for your use.

Now then, the breakfast, I was really impressed with this. You begin with a buffet breakfast table with various cereals, grapefruit halves,yoghurts and preserves, with a choice of apple or orange juice. You are served your choice of coffee or tea and either white or wholemeal toast is brought out for you. for breakfast we had the Ashburton Full House which was delicious, I ate the lot plus my husbands balck pudding as it's something he's not keen on anyway but I just wanted 2 lots. It's nice to be served breakfast with a piece of nicely cooked heart stopper (fried bread) too, reminds me of my mums breakfast she used to cook when I lived at home. The only critque of the cooked breakfast is for me the mushrooms needed to be cooked a little longer, but the bacon especially was spot on as the fat was nice and crispy :). This breakfast will set you up for the day no question, as we didn't have anything else to eat til about seven in the evening.

The guesthouse provides offstreet parking which we were very pleased with, as we don't like to leave our car on the street when we are away.

It is also in walking distance of Scarborough town centre and the Spa, for both we're talking about 15 mins, you're going to have to walk up a hill at some point if you are heading into the town centre but don't worry as you'll have plenty of energy to do so from the heary breakfast you have just devoured!

It was great to ''come home'' to a cosy warm room and crash out in a very comfy bed, we will definitely plan to stay here when booking a getaway for us both, and with the addition of the single bed, we will probably bring our son with us next time, we didn't fetch him this time as it was our anniverary and he was staying at his Grandma and Grandads, but if he does stay with us (he's only 9 months old) im sure he'd love it too :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple