“Probably the best fish and chips”

North Bay Fisheries Scarborough
Ranked #3 of 374 Restaurants in Scarborough
Description: We are a take away fish and chip shop with a few tables outside. Unfortunately we are not able to offer gluten free food at the moment. Our current opening hours are Monday to Saturday 4.30pm - 8.00pm and Sunday 4.30 pm - 7.30pm and Tuesday to Saturday 11.30 - 1.30pm. Please note that as the food is all fried to order our last orders are 5 minutes before closing.
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I live in Yorkshire but come from the coast in Norfolk so as you can imagine am very fussy about my fish and chips!

We visited here around 1pm and it was really busy. A good sign, must mean it is worth travelling for. Too busy to eat there, but it's right at one of the entrances for Peasholm Park so not a problem.

Order when you get in, so you're not waiting more than you need to, and we had Cod and chips. Fantastic scraps, the batter was very crispy. Of course it will get soggy at the bottom eventually but it wasn't too greasy, very tasty. My kids wolfed it down as did we.

The chips weren't the best I have tasted but they were very nice, and not like the middle of the road f&c I get around middle England.

Served in a box which makes it far easier to eat sat down in the park.

Loved it, worth the 2 hours journey alone.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We started visiting here for takeaways a couple of years ago, and went again last weekend, and it was good to see that standards are still so high. The only potential problem (as has been pointed out by other reviewers and as with anywhere that fries to order) is that there can be too much grease on the fish if it hasn't been allowed to rest on the drainer for a few seconds before going into the box. The best tactic is to distract the serving assistant with some irrelevant conversation at the moment that they're about to whisk the fish into the box. Surprised it's listed as a restaurant, the only seats are outside, which given Scarborough's weather are unusable much of the time!

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

There are so many great fish and chip shops to choose from in town but IMO this one is the best.

Very quick and organised staff. Very friendly.

Food is cooked to order and is great quality and fresh.

Great value for money.

Whenever I want fish and chips this is my first port of call.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have been eating and enjoying fish and chips in Scarborough for 40 years and standards have in my opinion only got better over the years as most places have now greatly improved the chips that used to let the fish down badly. North Bay Fisheries was no exception and I found the chips to be absolutely delicious and perfectly cooked. The fish (haddock) was a generous size, fresh and cooked in a beautiful light and crispy batter. HOWEVER the person who is frying the fish must learn an absolute essential and that is to get as much of the excess fat off the food BEFORE you serve it as nothing spoils fish and chips more than it swimming in grease!! I reckon if this was done you could have a serious challenger for the best fish supper in U.K and I have eaten in many of the so called best. So come on chef, shake before you serve!!

Reviewed May 26, 2014

We decided to give this fish and chip shop a go as it was recommended... There was a huge line, which for me means it's popular and well worth the wait... We got our fish and chips and sat outside the seating area in the front.. WHAT A DISSAPOINTMENT!!! The greasiest fish and chips ever... My kids hardly had a mouthful and I just threw them in the bin...

6  Thank J9goose