“Memories from school days” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Station House Tearoom
Ranked #15 of 30 Coffee & Tea in Scarborough
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
“Memories from school days”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Only rated 4 because I haven't been inside on this visit.
This place brings back memories of a brilliant school trip when I was aged 14 & it was the Field centre for Armthorpe High School. I've wanted to revisit for years & I got the chance during my bike ride along the cinder track from Scarborough to Whitby. It was every bit as good as I wished it would be. One day, maybe, we can try the accommodation too? :-)

• Visited August 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant pit stop for cyclists”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

A fantastic place to refuel for cyclists about to embark on the uphill section of the Scarborough to Whitby cinder track. Great selction of lunches and cakes to eat either in the beautiful gardens (which luckily were sun drenched on my visit) or in the converted former railway staion. Very cycle friendly. The owners are happy for you to leave your bike in the garden and refill water bottles. Could easily have stayed longer if I'd have had more time. Very relaxing.

Bothwell, Scotland
“Idyllic setting, scones to die for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

We stopped here on a cycle along the track from Scarborough to Ravenscar on a beautiful sunny afternoon in August, sat in the stunning gardens having tea and scones, and thought I could probably stay in that moment for the rest of my life. Perfect.
The range of other food looked excellent too. Very much worth visit if you're cycling, walking, or doing anything in the area - worth a detour.

• Visited August 2014
York, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea at the Station”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

What a beautiful setting for afternoon tea. Once an active station on the Scarborough to Whitby railway line but now privately owned and the garden mature and well cared for. I'm not a fan of the white plastic stacking tables and chairs but they are functional and easy to keep clean so I won't comment further because the garden is spectacular. The platform is still in place and visitors have the opportunity to sit at a table on the platform or down below in the garden itself. This is a large garden with lots of plants and easily accommodates seventy people or more. The staff are young and friendly and willing to help, although if there were seventy people in the garden they may just struggle to cope.
Now to the food. I was with my partner Sue, and her Father. I ordered an egg mayonnaise sandwich on brown bread with a salad garnish. This sandwich was very substantial and well filled and the salad was far more than a garnish. What made this for me was the choice of dressings and I opted for the French dressing. Accompanying the sandwich was an orange juice as I had requested. The sandwich gets the highest score of 10/10 but I would give the orange juice far less as it was juice from concentrate and not appetising at all. I would rather pay more for freshly squeezed orange juice, but this was not available. Sue had a toasted cheese and ham sandwich and her Father had the same as myself but on white bread. We were all very pleased with the whole experience, sitting in the sunshine for a good hour and reflecting on the day. So, Cloughton Station tearooms, the building and gardens are expertly and tastefully cared for, the food is great, the staff are lovely. Just upgrade the garden furniture to wrought iron and supply fresh orange juice and you can achieve 100%

Matlock, United Kingdom
“Oh the joy....................”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Have been meaning to pop in to the Station Tearoom on the last 3 visits to the area, so glad we finally did! I loved sitting in the beautiful garden having afternoon tea. It really felt like a trip back to a calmer, more polite time.
The staff were young but very polite and pleasant and the food was very nice. All you could want from an afternoon in the English Countryside.

• 3 of 5 bubbles