“Margaret V”

Spital Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 352 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Bridlington
“Margaret V”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Second visit to this restaurant and, as before, had an excellent carvery. Food was very good and freshly made. The staff were very helpful.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Nice place to eat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

we went as a last minute thing,the bar staff were friendly when we arrived,quick to take our order and we were sat down quickly,even though they were fairly busy. me and the kids couldn't fault the carvery,choice of ham,Beef or Turkey,home made Yorkshire pud,7 fresh veg,roast,mash and new potatoes,lovely gravy. All the desserts seemed home made and for 4 of us it came to £60 which included 6 drinks.

2 Thank Marvin S
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Overpriced, very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

To be honest, I'm amazed at the other reviews on here...our experience at the Spital Inn was terrible and although we are very local, we will definitely not be returning.
We arrived, with 2 adults and 2 children for Sunday lunch. We had to wait quite a long time for a table because we needed a high chair and they only had 2, both of which were in use. I was amazed that a 'family pub' had just 2 high chairs.
Eventually we got our table, it was in the main room which was very hot, very small, with tables really crammed in. It felt outdated (despite being newly open), and very crowded, despite being about half full, so we decided to move outside.
There seemed to be 4 different managers on that day, who all seemed slightly annoyed with each other, all working on different wavelengths. There was a general feeling of disorganisation. One of these 'managers' informed us that they were struggling a bit as everyone had come in at once and they were vey busy. Given that well under half of the establishment was occupied, I dread to think what it's like when they're actually busy!
We were told that the only option that day was the carvery, even for the children, which I was very surprised (and slightly disappointed) by. I'm a vegetarian, so obviously enquired about my choices, I could have had the usual vegetarian lasagne or a 'vegetarian' carvery. I decided on the carvery only to find out that the roast potatoes, parsnips etc. were cooked in duck oil (it was lucky that I checked, as they certainly weren't going to tell me) So, faced with just a plate of vegetables (albeit a reasonable choice) I changed to lasagne.
After a short play on the nice play area, a waitress asked us to go and get our lunch, we got the three carveries and I told them that I was waiting for lasagne, 'right' they said, but didn't move, so I assumed mine wasn't quite ready, so I went with the rest of the family back outside (they were fully aware of where we were sitting). The carvery was average...a good selection of vegetables, though it was interesting that we we're served the 2 roast potatoes and 2 roast parsnips by the 'chef' (obviously they were concerned you might take too much of the good stuff!), the meat was very dry, even to look at, and the vegetables and potatoes cold.
Half an hour later, when my husband and son had finished their lunch a waitress came to tell me to collect my lasagne. She wasn't sure if it was me that she was looking for as she thought I'd already eaten (if only!)
I went indoors to be told that my lasagne had been ready for ages, in fact it had been ready when we came in to get our carveries, but no one thought to give it to me when I asked, or come out to tell me when they saw it sitting on the side!! To be fair, they did say that they'd done me a fresh one and at least it was warm. Unfortunately it was also tasteless.
Now I know that some carveries can be disappointing, however at £40 for 2 adult, 2 kids meals and a couple of glasses of squash, I would have expected a good, if not excellent meal, with good service. Unfortunately this was far from what we got at the Spital Inn. At least they got the play area right!! But overall extremely poor. I'm afraid I'll be warning my friends and family off.

4 Thank Joanne R
Penkridge, United Kingdom
“Friendly service, a bit overpriced.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Friendly helpful service from the bar and restaurant staff. Had carvery meals on both the occasions we visited in the very pleasant restaurant. Good choice of vegetables and meat. Thought other menu items were too expensive.

Visited July 2013
derbyshire
“the staff like to insinuate about customers!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

called here whilst on holiday after a day out with my husband and our 2 little girls, when we arrived we chose to sit in the snug area to dine, not bad meal was nice until in stood at the bar to pay, I could not believe what I was hearing the barman was talking abgout us to another bar lady, who left me stood at the bar for ages without being served as I was waiting to pay, but while I was waiting they was insinuating we had got up and left without paying and discussing it beind the bar, until I said " excuse me are you talking about the people that was sat in the snug, he said yes, I was horrified to think that we would do that, I said well actually I am here waiting to pay and had I been served 10 mins ago I would have been gone by now and paid, I do not ever not pay for things I have not had and felt this was very unprofessional of these people to insinuate having just literally delivered the bill to our table, I told my husband in the car and he went back to demand an apology which was fine until another lady came out and nearly the whole family to the car where I was to aplogise which the barman I could see generally was sorry about the insinuation but the bar lady who was apparently the landlady actually was not there and knew nothing about the incident came out aswell and was going on about how I misunderstood the situation .... I mean come on how professional, I wil never go there again and had we not gone through all this we would have probably gone there a few times and a lot of my friends and family too, but no way not now never again... plus the chef who was also the landlord made a comment and said don't take it the wrong way love I mean come on then to be told to ignore him he is always drinking what is going on should he be carving meat and serving familys if he is always drinking enough said.

• Visited July 2013