“Overpriced and not all options available.”

Harry Ramsden's Scarborough
Ranked #297 of 375 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Fast Food
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Went in early on a Friday afternoon. The option I wanted was not available. Prices were inflated for what we received. Would rather eat out of a cone next time. Food was not that special to justify the price.

2  Thank Chipper64

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Everyone has heard of Harry Ramsden's but it was just one of those places I'd never actually been to until I came here recently.

There are a few places you can get fish and chips on the seafront in Scarborough but we'd left it a little late in the day to actually sit in and eat that many of the other places were closed.

We went in to the restaurant here with our little girl and before we'd even got through the door, the waitress told us we couldn't sit near the window. A little strange, but we sat down somewhere else - perhaps those tables were reserved?

The first thing we noticed is that this is not the kind of place that you bring kids to. There were a few people in the restaurant but it was so quiet - you could have heard a pin drop so it was quite awkward to have our little girl chattering away and bring the centre of attention as kids tend to be.

The waitress came over to us after quite a wait and after serving other customers who had arrived after us. Maybe it's because we had our little girl with us and that put her off? Anyway, she was friendly enough to us in the end!

After attempting to order a few items which they had run out of, we settled on a cod with chips and haddock with chips. It was quite a wait for the food but when it did arrive it was really very tasty but I wouldn't have paid £10 each for it!

All in all, a very disappointing visit to a restaurant I had heard good things about. Perhaps it would have been different if we hadn't had our little girl with us but I'm not so sure.

1  Thank swiss_r
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Staff slow food cool greasy did not taste nice such a waste of money and spoilt the end to a good day.looking forward to the meal by the name expecting some thing outstanding but disappointed.

1  Thank anistazia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My partner and I visited the restaurant shortly after the establishment being open.
The staff where helpful pleasant and friendly. We ordered a drink each then the waitress came back and took our food order. Only to be told they had sold out of what my partner had ordered. So he changed his mind and decided on another option from the menu. Only to be told the drink I had ordered was not in stock. I ended up with a different drink in the end. Whilst you may think well these could be just teething problems....the story gets worse.
Our food come out looking scrumptious. I couldn't wait to tuck in. Shortly after starting my meal I found a bit of plastic next to my sausage. After waiting for my partner to complete his course, we complained to the on duty supervisor and was given a refund on my meal. We have not been back since. I dont think I will be in a hurry to either.

1  Thank Rachel A
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Went on Friday night for an impromptu trip . Harry's was open and when at the seaside it's the done thing to get Fish & Chips. Used the takeway side (not restaurant)
Only 2 staff on one cooking and one serving. Neither said anything. Seemed as if they were either just opening or just closing as nobody could be bothered to even acknowledge us! Eventualy we were asked for our order. We noticed a very large fish and asked for this. It had to be cooked to order so we waited.
Unfortunately when it arrived it was 2 pieces stuck together. Maybe they could have just said this when we ordered!
Now admittedly we ordered "fish" But I would have assumed either Cod or Haddock. I don't believe it was either and thinking it may have been pollock as it was greasy and tasted ... dare I say too fishy or even a bit on the turn. The batter was soggy and the portion was quite poor even though we opted for large.
A couple of steps further along and we could have enjoyed some great looking food at another "chippy" several pounds cheaper. I won't be going there again.
I don't like the way it's gone over commercialised with stupid merchandise and a menu typical of many other "supposed" fast food joints.
Go back to basics offering decent "Fish" & chips You'll sell all day long.

1  Thank InaTizzi