“Shocking!”

Cuisines: Fast Food
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2013

we were treating my dad, a fish and chip lover, so we thought we'd treat him "to the best". we shouldnt have gone to harry ramsdens! firstly we werent sure if the restaurant was open as the stairs were dark and unlit but i checked in the takeaway first and aparently it was open. the kiddies meal was great value for money compared to other eating outlets. we had a fab table in the window but thats where the good stuff ends. the best bit about the adult meal was the newspaper designed plate it was served on, and you could see a lot of it! at 9,99 for a regular the portion size was small. the fish actually looked like a battered sausage, long and narrow. very wierd.the taste was okay but not the batter i would have expected and no free bread and butter. my dad had the pensioners special and again left a lot to be desired. portion sizes small and prices big! the service was poor. the 2 staff coulkd barely cope with our table and 2 others and were scuppered when a group of 10+ came in. we waited 30+ minutes to attract attention to get my dads pensioners ice cream and in the end we gave up and i went to get the bill. which i had to wait some considereable time for them to sort. very understaffed if more than 2 tables in the small upper room. we wont be going back and definately was not worth the money.

Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

As a Scarborough local I know all the super fish and chip restaurants around the town. I have always been reluctant to try Harry Ramsdens as it is not a local firm however one day during the May Bank Holiday week I had family visiting and we decided to give it a try as it was convenient at the time. Big mistake. Staff were friendly however the restaurant was scruffy with food and litter on the floor under the tables from previous customers. We all ordered haddock and chips which arrived in reasonable time however the chips were not edible, hard and tasting of stale fat. The fish was average but the batter again tasted of fat that had been reused too many times. We shall certainly not be returning and will stick to our usual favourites.

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

So disappointed with our visit to The World Famous Harry Ramsdens. The fish was average and the chips were hard and unpalatable , the £5:65 portion of takeaway fish and chips was overpriced and small , I think next time we will visit a decent chippy further up the prom!!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

After a long day on bank holiday monday me and my partner decided to visit the scarborough branch, although the restaurant was very busy we was greeted with a smile and were seated straight away, after placing our order we waited about 20 mins until our food arived but it was well worth the wait, I had cod hero and my partner had a small cod and chips, they were both piping hot and very tasty served with a pot of tartare sauce, yes it is quite expensive but you pay for what you get. Harry Ramsdens is a famous brand so its bound to be more expensive than the others. I would like to thank all the staff at the store for a very pleasant meal and I will definatly be back on my next visit to scarborough, well done. Egnore the bad reviews

1  Thank donnybill1981
Reviewed May 29, 2013

With a failing mobile signal and no hope of checking trip advisor, we took the old fashioned approach and chose the chippy with the longest queue....surely with so many patrons we were in for something special?

Having queued for a good 20 minutes in what can only be described as a heatwave of epic proportions. We were finally greated by the counter team. The order was taken swiftly enough as was the £23.00, however we were then ushered across the takeaway to wait for our order.

Some 25 minutes later, we were beckoned to the front and presented with two fish and chips, one large fish and chips and a sausage and chips. The portions were small (as expected)however after almost one hour in the queue we were just happy to get out of there.

Whilst I am no fish and chip expert, the chips were terrible and lacked flavour. The only saving grace being that with such a small portion, we were not subjected to them for longer than necessary. In fact I can honestly say that this was the first time I had seen both my parents and partner leave at least half of their chips.

What about the fish? whilst not the worst fish I have tasted - the cod was well cooked and flavoursome, the fact that it had not even been filleted made it extremly difficult to enjoy. If I wanted battered fish bones, I would of asked for them.

I can honestly say that I will never visit Harry Ramsden's again, the new owners have done nothing to improve was is a failing brand and I can not see the company lasting another 5 years without significant improvements which is a shame as whilst not an institution - Harry Ramsden's does conjure memories of a by-gone era.

So is Harry Rasmden's the worst fish and chip shop in the world? Probably.....

2  Thank Chris S