“Don`t be fooled by a well known name”

Harry Ramsden's Scarborough
Ranked #290 of 363 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Fast Food
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Hartlepool
“Don`t be fooled by a well known name”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Wanting a meal on a freezing cold day in Scarborough, my wife and I spotted the famous Harry Ramsden fish restaurant so we thought we couldn`t do better, that is until we went in, the place was empty but the young lady waitress said it had been very busy a short time earlier. We asked her why the room was so cold her answer after checking a radiator "oh the heatings off"" but did nothing to rectify the situation. Being hungry we decided to stay as Harry Ramsden fish and chips are noted. What a mistake - the chips were almost cold, the fish, although we were in a seaside establishment, tasted more like the frozen variety one can buy from any supermarket. Having paid over £20 for the meals we feel let down - if you trade under a name which people respect then it should come up to that standard. Readers of this be warned.

1 Thank John G

West Yorkshire
“Expensive and disappointing”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Restaurant very small. And once ordered food took a long time to arrive. Drinks came quickly but food so slow that I'd finished my tea before I got my dinner. Portions small yet prices very expensive.
Children's meals however were ok and presented in a quirky way with a pot of ketchup in one side and peas or beans on the other.
Overall would not recommend as there are far better value fish n chip shops in Scarborough. Feel they are hoping the famous name will attract people. My advice- don't bother.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

As a Yorkshire man I have always enjoyed Harry Ramsden's fish and chips but this restaurant disappointed in so many ways. The restaurant is tiny and crowded, service of food to the table was very slow. I had Harry's Hero's Cod and Chips. This was not the normal portion size, mushy peas were £1.99 for one of the smallest portions I have ever seen. The only reason I have given a second star is that the cooking was to standard. I will not be going here again the next time I visit Scarborough.