“Have a go vegan”

Calf Sanctuary Cafe
Ranked #81 of 363 Restaurants in Scarborough
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Calf Sanctuary Cafe At present we are only open Fri Sat and Sunday but our hours will extend over the summer period. We are mainly an animal rescue sanctuary and after 7 years of hard work we are finally moving our sanctuary to whitby and will be open eventually to the public. Our vegan cafe is not for profit, every penny (other than staff wages) goes directly back to the rescues. x
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Have a go vegan”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I had my first full vegan meal. It was impossible to tell that the cheese had no animal product in it whatsoever and the fake chorizo was tastier that the animal stuff. I then bought some vegan Irish cream truffles and they were to die for. Here's to the vegan. Even if you are a staunch meat eater, please give this cafe a go. Be prepared to try something you have never tried before. All profits go to the animal shelter and the staff are all volunteers. An absolute must try. We will certainly go regularly.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Sonia M

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Simply the best, and crulty free!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

What an amazing place and fantastic food, you can eat without cruelty, weather you a vegan, vegie or meat eater, you'd love this place. The hardest part is deciding what to eat, so much choice!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Jon B
“Loved it”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I ate with friends at CALF last Saturday. Lovely food in a comfortable environment. I was surprised at the vast choice on the menu and very much enjoyed my 'ham' and pineapple super salad! Sad I don't live in Scarborough to go back and try the rest of the menu! X

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank AmyVS1982
York
“So SCRUMMY you dont have to be vegan to enjoy it!”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

This was a real find for me! Wandering down Eastborough (one of my favourite streets in Scarborough) I came across CALF Café not just a veggie oasis but a vegan oasis in a part of town better known for meaty, processed, takeaway fare. With a friendly welcoming atmosphere and a unique farm yardy decorative theme, I knew I was onto a winner. CALF have an extensive menu, something to confound anyone who thinks there’s not much choice in vegan cuisine. Everything was cooked fresh and from scratch. I had a yen for a sausage toasty, which came with a really fresh, tasty side salad of green leaves and fruit. My cunning plan being this left lots of room for desert. ;-) I opted for rhubarb sponge and custard, yep! A Vegan sponge cake and vegan custard, both of which were delicious. It was such a miserable wet day outside I warmed up with hearty mugs of tea and once I finished eating I had a look round at the various CALF merchandise on offer and information on the animal rescue centre that the café helps to finance. CALF is run entirely by volunteers and you need to check the web site for opening times but I’ll certainly be using CALF as my café of first choice on day trips and weekends in Scarborough. C-A-L-F.com for opening times and info on the animals and rescue work you’re helping whilst enjoying great healthy food!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Margaret R
“1st & last time!!!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

I knew from the outside I should of stayed outside and not entered! Looks like 101 Dalmatians gone wrong!!
Decor is beyond trying to describe!
Offensive viewing of tv, had a burnt toasted bagel that I won't be trying anymore!!!
I would advise everyone to stay away from the place. Cleanliness is next to godliness and this was hell!!!

8 Thank Bittersweet123