“Delicious food for all - great value”

Calf Sanctuary Cafe
Ranked #56 of 357 Restaurants in Scarborough
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Calf Sanctuary Cafe At present we are only open Fri Sat and Sunday but our hours will extend over the summer period. We are mainly an animal rescue sanctuary and after 7 years of hard work we are finally moving our sanctuary to whitby and will be open eventually to the public. Our vegan cafe is not for profit, every penny (other than staff wages) goes directly back to the rescues. x
Redcar, United Kingdom
“Delicious food for all - great value”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Calf is a welcoming, friendly cafe which offers delicious food and great value. The cafe is all vegan which suits me perfectly, and also suited my 86 year old (meat eating) dad who thoroughly enjoyed sausage and mash followed by chocolate fudge cake and cappuccino.
The open fire makes it a perfect winter drop-in on a cold day at the seaside and dogs are welcome to lie by the fire - rug provided.
All profuts go to support the rescue animals looked after by the calf ladies so it's a win win - delcious food in aid of a great cause :)
We think it's worth a 100 mile round trip to visit so that says something!!

6 Thank ficam

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Spectacular in every way”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I couldn't be more impressed with C-A-L-F. My vegan family and I quite often make a special trip to Scarborough (we live in Teesside, about 45 miles away) to support this wonderful cause and to sample some of the beautiful food (the cakes are out of this world!). The staff are always attentive, fast to serve and friendly (anyone who says otherwise is wrong) and despite the busy lives they have with looking after all their rescue animals and running a cafe at the same time, they still have time to stop and have a chat. I also have a C-A-L-F hoodie, bought for my 25th birthday, which was made as a custom order super-quick, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Great food, excellent service, beautiful surroundings, lovely staff - AND you get to support a fabulous cause at the same time. How can you go wrong?

Keep up the fantastic work ladies!

7 Thank Cal C
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“What a lovely place”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We (My wife and I ) have now been here twice, Yesterday we went for a Valentines day lunch. Whilst waiting whilst they prepared the lunch we had time to admire the decor . A LOT of trouble had been taken to make the place attractive and friendly. This must be one of the most attractive looking places inside in Scarborough. Then the delicious food arrived followed by the lovely cakes for desert. No matter what anyone's eating habits are, you will leave here feeling well fed, and no animals were hurt in the process.
Further more the profits are all used to help care for rescued farm animals.

• Visited February 2013
8 Thank Chris P
england
“Outstanding, a real super-tasty surprise.”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Our party of 7 visited the CALF cafe twice in two days in Jan 2013.
We consisted of strict vegetarians, slack vegetarians, fish eaters and confirmed carnivores - A wide range of customer represented.
The ambiance is warm and friendly, the decor is reminiscent of a Scandinavian fairytale gingerbread house. I personally loved it. There's even a little shop there too selling crafts and produce. The entire profits from this place go to fund a local animal shelter, so its a double whammy of loveliness.

The staff were lovely, efficient and welcoming. They were happy to chat if we wanted it (and didn't complain at all when we stayed long after closing time). The price on the bill was fabulous too - it was so cheap for what we received. Excellent value for money.

But down to the food.. Well the food was simply incredible. A large and varied choice, each dish was really tasty and had that sneaky extra boast of being really healthy too. I have to say it was some of the most delicious food i have ever eaten. Really.

There are cakes and light bites, breakfasts, stews, pastas & milkshakes for example and the most impressive chocolate treats i have ever tasted. They make their own chocolates on site and the 'Rocky Road' is without rival. As a complete chocoholic i am actually qualified to say this!

The vegan message is there, but its done so elegantly that our meat eaters did not feel it overpowering, so don't be put off by its description. The folks at CALF cafe have created the perfect way for customers to explore the concept of 'cruelty free' food and to discover the vast range of dishes at their disposal.

I would be visiting every week if it weren't for the fact that i live hundreds of miles away. I thought i knew about vegan food but my taste buds have been well and truly opened.

Go check them out - I dare you to not be impressed!

9 Thank missmonster