“Warm and friendly”

Duke of York Guest House
Ranked #29 of 184 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We have just got back from our second stay at the Duke of York. Jo and all the staff are lovely, kindhearted people and really can't do enough for the guests. The rooms are warm, inviting and are very comfortable. The beds really are as comfortable as they look in the pictures! We stayed in room 6 (which has amazing sea views) with our two young children. Breakfast is one of the best I have ever had whilst staying in hotels etc. Theres a great choice of cereals, fresh fruit, yogurts and a full English breakfast to finish off. The date we wanted to to stay was fully booked but we were so impressed from our first stay that we changed our date, we felt that staying anywhere else would only have ended in disappointment after having such a high standard set. If you are looking for someone to stay in Scarborough look no further than the Duke of York. Can't wait to stay again xx

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Duke of York Guest House

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Been back to this hotel again and all I can say is it's fantastic rooms always clean and the rooms with sea views r just breath taking lovely view to wake up to on a morning. Jo who owns it is a lovely woman who can't do enough for you while your there and always happy to help. Breakfast is lovely always delicious

Thanks and we will definitely be back again

Room Tip: Room 6 lovely family room with breath taking sea views
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights here recently for a relaxing weekend after a stressful few months and this guesthouse was just what we needed .
The owner Jo is very friendly and certainly knows her stuff about how to run a guesthouse .
The place is very clean and comfortable ,we had fresh flowers and a box of chocolates put in our room. We had a bath and not an electric shower in our room but we knew this before our stay .
The view from our room (7) was fantastic ,we could see the harbour and the south bay .
The breakfast was lovely and well cooked ,a fresh fruit salad was available every morning to help ourselves to.
The location is great and central to everything .
We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely be returning .

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view .
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This was my second stay at the Duke of York, again simply stunning and lovely, the rooms are very well furnished, and if you are lucky enough to book either balcony rooms (3 or 11) then you will not regret it, the views are to die for, and the panaramic view of the south bay will NEVER get boring.

Rooms are serviced daily and to an excellent standard, I have recommended the Duke of York several times and my friends/family have been extremely happy too.

I will be a returning guest for many years to come as I consider scarborough my second home town, and the Duke my home from home!!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms over looking Southbay are simply stunning
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The best B&B we have ever stayed in! Full of character and in a fabulous location, Jo was a delightful host and we received the warmest welcome imaginable, with lots of thoughtful extra touches nothing seemed to much trouble - for any of the staff. Spotlessly clean and comfortable with a first class breakfast we would highly recommend staying there and will definitely be returning. We are guilty of reading reviews and not really contributing to them but felt we had to add to the praise for this little gem of a guest house.

Room Tip: room 7 of the second floor was perfect - definitely worth booking a sea view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The views from our family room were amazing, the breakfast was also amazing a brilliant way to start the day,our room was very clean and comfortable, nothing was to much trouble and a friendly welcome from all the staff, and especially from the hosts Jo and Jamie......brilliant all round.!!!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are the best!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have visited Scarborough twice a year for the past six or seven years or so and have stayed in many different guest houses, all of a very good standard. Maybe I've been fortunate but I've met many wonderful owners and didn't think it could get any better, but this year I twice stayed at the Duke of York, run by the lovely Jo, and believe that I have experienced the gold standard in genuinely sincere personal service. The guest house is two adjacent houses 350 years old knocked into one and so you must expect the odd squeaking floor board or so but Jo and all of her team make up for this in spades. Jo is not only a graduate in tourism but she is a genuinely, thoroughly lovely person who always has the time to stop and chat at length and in depth with her residents if they want her to. It is a small business and so doesn't have the resources of a hotel but you'll rarely hear Jo say, "No, we don't do that". What you're more likely to hear is, "That might take me a day or two to organise". For example, and I hope I'm not causing extra work for Jo here, if you want kippers, Jo will visit the fish market and will buy a fresh one, but only if it's good enough; she won't buy anything less than perfect. And then, when she comes to cook it, well, I've never had such beautifully cooked kippers, ever. I don't know this, but it seems to me that the cooking of the kipper has all of Jo's attention until it's done just right and then she'll move onto her next task. I've also had the full english breakfast which arrives, at least when I've had it, on a plate devoid of grease and the portion sizes are generous even for me. To give another example of the care that Jo devotes, the breakfast fruit bowl is filled with only fresh fruit, some of it picked by Jo, and large pieces of fruit like strawberries are halved or quartered. Not only that, fresh pomegranate seeds have been painstakingly removed from the flesh and added to the rest of the fruit. As I said earlier, I've met some lovely landladies and landlords, but with Jo you feel that you have not only entered her house as an honoured guest but also as a friend. Everything written before has been about Jo, but I must say a word for her team who are all, in my experience, lovely, friendly, helpful ladies. About the place itself, the views from the back of the house are stunning and it's in the centre, just above the promenade and all for exceptionally reasonable rates. Just a short negative note here for the gentlemen: I'm afraid Jo is happily spoken for by not only an equally nice bloke but also a very big bloke so, you've been warned.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo