“Lovely weekend break”

Duke of York Guest House
Ranked #27 of 184 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I went to scarboro on 28 feb till 3 march we found the guest house by chance .We were welcomed by Jo the proprietor who let us see the room before we decided to stay must say we were not dissapointed the room was bright and airy and spottlessly clean and modern and had a flat screen tv in the room and the tea and coffee making facilities were always refilled.the bathroom was large and the room was very cozy and had a nice view as well.The room also had a very nice view overlooking the beach and promanade the breakfast was also very good and very hearty Jo and her staff were great as they could not enough to make our stay as pleasent as possible.Was also very good value for money we did not hesitate to book again for the scarboro gold cup road races in september.Once again like to say a big thank you Mark &Vicky

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Booked for 2 nights at the start of February half term from an initial enquiry by email, to talking to owner by phone . Very friendly and helpful, and even took note of my husband "funny" comments about not liking sprouts when asked if had any dietary requirements. After a 5 hr drive found the guest house which is down a narrow alley way with a very tight car park for those driving an estate car. We had said that we would arrive between 6-8pm as we were not sure of traffic, but got there at 5.50pm to find the door locked. Waited until 6.10 when a resident coming out let us in and after trying the office door and leaving a message on the emergency mobile no we decidied to wait in the guest lounge. It took 30 minutes before we got a reply , very apologetic, from Joanne the owner who said they had been at the hospital and would be there in 5 mins. However our room ( No 5) was open so we were welcome to go up and she would come and see us when she arrived back. Was grateful to be able to use the loo and have a cup of tea after a long journey, Joanne came up a few minutes later again apologising saying she had it down that we were arriving at 8pm. Said it was no problem and she gave us a quick guided tour around , breakfast times, and gave us some recommendations of places to eat. We asked if we could turn the heating down as it was a mild night and the room was very hot. She tried to turn the valve on the heater with no luck, so just opened the window. We had several attempts during the evening and finally turned it off , although had no affect on the heater which was still hot. Luckily it went off at 8pm, but the room was still very hot, and came back on again in the morning. That was very disappointing especially as the guest book in room, says that all radiators will have a thermostat control fitted in 2012,so maybe has been a problem before,but obviously not the case. The room has obviously been recently re-furbished and was very modern in style, which I am not sure really goes with the age and look of the building and room, but that might be my taste. However it was spotlessly clean, lovely crisp linen,good refreshments tray and bottled water were on hand, and great sized TV. Room contained a double and a single bed. Bed was very comfy, and for a change to most B & B's it was lovely to have a bath ( my personal treat ) although the bath side panel was a different colour to the bath? The other downside to the bathroom was the door did not shut unless you gave it a shove with both hands, and there was no shower attachment in the bath. Very difficult to wash your hair, I resorted to using the kettle!! A jug or maybe just a push on shower unit might be useful and easier. Scarborough was incredibly busy on a Saturday night, and took a few attempts to find a restaurant, but the recommendation was great. Returned back to our room, which was on a quiet street, and although an amazing comfy bed, really did not sleep too well due to heat. Breakfast was served between 8.15 - 9am in the sunroom downstairs, beautiful panoramic views over the bay, and very bright and sunny due to the unexpected Feb sunshine. Staff on duty were very friendly and chatty and quickly took our food & drink order. A fun touch was a small bowl of brussel sprouts left on our table just for my husband!! A unit had a wide choice of cereals, yoghurts, fruit juices and fresh fruit salad before cooked breakfast arrived. We weren't offered a choice of white or brown bread , just given toast and unlike many of the other comments I am afraid I wasn't that impressed by the breakfast, its a bit of a pet hate of mine, and I did not think the sausages or bacon were very good quality or cooked too well and the plate was mainly filled with baked beans.
As you had a front door key you could come and go as you please, and when we returned in the evening the room had been cleaned and tidied, and thanks to leaving the bedroom windows open all day it was at least a bit cooler. The b& B is in a great location in the town with only a short stroll to the beach, the promanade and the main shopping area, with its bars and restaurants. It is also a good base for touring as we travelled onto the moors, and onto Whitby really easily. We tried another restaurant recommendation that night that was again a good choice, and enjoyedy a late evening watching TV. Slept a little better as it was cooler ! For breakfast there were only 2 couples there but they still laid on the same amount of choice. I opted for fried egg on toast, although hubby had a cooked breakfast again, and said he thought it was slightly better. Again all staff were really friendly and pleasant and service was great. We packed up to leave and went down to the reception, saying goodbye to the cleaner who was tidying the rooms. Again knocked on the door to the office to no answer, and on ringing the bell, was greeted by the painter who was decorating downstairs, who said she not here. We said we would just pop to the shops for 10 minutes and would then come back to pay, he wasn't happy about that saying we had to leave our bags in the lounge if we went out. As you can imagine we weren't happy about that especially if no'one was there. A few minutes later the cleaner came down, and we said that we wanted to check out but no'one was here, and she said no Joanne's here she's just making the bed upstairs. Maybe a mobile bell would be useful as the building is over 4 floors.
Again very friendly and apologetic about mix up on arrival, and got the chance to meet her lovely dogs, and a very reasonable priced stay . Although it is a lovely b& b in a great location, just because of the odd little niggles I can't give it a higher mark, its good but with a little more care and attention it could be better. Maybe it was the start of half term holiday and they had not yet got into the main holiday swing, but would have no problem with recommending it.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view on front of hotel as they also provide binoculars, we were in room 5 which had a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Joanne A, Owner at Duke of York Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Tracey,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review here at the Duke of York. I do thank you for your 4 star rating, however I’m so sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. If I may, I would like to take the chance to address one or two of your issues.
Even though we have been in the business for almost 34 years, we are quite new to Trip Advisor, and although we are already rated as the 23rd highest out of 175 hotels in the area (and climbing), I would hate to think that any negative comments, no matter how small could have a detrimental effect on our business. We welcome, nay, encourage all feedback, whether it is good or bad and I can assure you that my response serves only to clarify a few points, rather than criticise your review in any way.
Firstly, I would just like to discuss my absence on your arrival. As you may or may not have noticed, aside from a member of staff to assist during breakfasts, I do run this 9 bedded guest house single handily. This is a large task, which I’m sure you will understand.
Unlike larger hotels, we do not have a 24 hour reception, and therefore I am fairly fastidious about requesting an arrival time from all guests during the booking process. I am incredibly flexible regarding arrival times, and unlike most other guesthouses, I allow arrivals at all times of the day/evening, as long as I know in advance. For those who are unsure on booking, I just ask for a courtesy call/text message on the day of arrival so I can make sure I am in the house. This then allows me to perform the other tasks I have each day, without being tied to the house. During your booking, you specified that you would arrive between 7-8pm in the evening. You had the means to contact me by landline or mobile phone during your travels to let me know of any changes to this arrival time. Unfortunately, you did not let me know that you would be arriving almost 2 hours early at 5.10pm, and so admittedly I was out of the house.
It is a little unrealistic to assume that a business such as this can be run when we are unable to leave the house in the risk we may miss an arrival. I do wholeheartedly apologise to you again for any inconvenience, I would certainly have been present for your arrival; had I known you were going to be arriving early.
To mention the parking, yes it is a small car park. Not much we can do about that one I’m afraid, but we are one of only a handful of properties that are right in the town centre who do offer off street parking, so for that we are very grateful, and so are the majority of our guests.
As for the décor, we feel that a bright, clean and modern yet cosy style is the best way to suit people’s need and taste. A more traditional/fussy style can often be seen to be old fashioned, and is not how the majority of people style their homes, and we want people to feel comfortable and at home when they visit the Duke of York. Therefore, we decorate and furnish in a way that we feel, will please most visitors. Of course some do prefer a more traditional feel and we appreciate that.
Regarding the bathroom facilities. We do what we can with a 350+ year old house, and I will admit, it has its quirks (which we feel is part of its charm) however the issue of the door has now been rectified. We have 7 bedrooms here, which are en-suite with a bath/shower and 2 bedrooms which have baths only. As such, when these rooms are let I am very clear on the facilities provided, as I realise showers are a preference of many guests.
I made mention to the lack of shower to your husband when he made the booking. We have shower attachments available for each of the two rooms with no shower (something which is already high on our list of improvements), and these are available at all times. From now on these will be stored within the two bathrooms at all times, for the benefit of our visitors. This is something which could have been easily rectified if brought to our attention at the time.
One of the most important things to us here at the Duke of York is customer satisfaction, and we encourage our visitors to let us know if there is anything we can do during their stay to improve their experience. I go out of my way on a regular basis to accommodate the needs of my visitors and make them feel at home and as comfortable as possible, however if I am not made aware at the time, there is not a great deal I can do afterwards.
Regarding the heating. I sincerely apologise if you and your husband were too warm during your stay. We are slightly behind schedule with the installation of the thermostatic controls on the radiators, which means that at times, when the heating is on, some people will feel the heat more than others.

The simple reason for our delay with the work is that we have been too busy. It would be hard to find a single day throughout the year when we have an empty house and this is what we would need in order for the work to take place, as it would mean a loss of water and heating for up to 2 days, and also require access to all rooms at some point, which is something I would not allow if a room is occupied. However, after reading your review I have put the wheels in motion and am happy to say the work will be taking place on March 8th & 9th, with hopefully minimal disruption to the guests we have booked in, who have been wonderfully understanding.

Again however, I do apologise for the inconvenience. I simply do not like the thought of people being cold, and tend to over compensate with the heating, as it has been a bitterly cold few weeks. After all, if you are too hot you can simply open a window!

Regarding breakfasts, I’m afraid I did have a little issue with your comments regarding the ‘quality’ of the food. I can assure anyone reading that statement that this could not be further from the truth. You of course have a right to give your opinion on your individual enjoyment on the food, but I would like to point out that we only use good quality ingredients. Most of the fresh breakfast ingredients are locally sourced from our quality traders in the local market including free range eggs and thick cut back bacon, as we like to support local businesses.

Our English breakfasts receive more praise than anything else and we have built a reputation on them over the years. I do my very best to cater for all dietary needs, and have in the past provided everything from Kippers to tomato soup for people who did not want the traditional breakfast and have been more than happy to do so. There is very little that I would not provide in order to meet the demands of our lovely visitors, and had you told us at the time that you were not happy with your breakfast, I would certainly have done everything I could to provide you with a more palatable meal. I appreciate that we cannot please everyone, but I do try my utmost.
I can only take comfort on this matter in the fact your husband repeated his order of a full English breakfast on his second morning and cleared his plate. Hopefully this means that he approved.

When it came time for you to check out, I was indeed upstairs rather than in the office. As we finish serving breakfasts at 9.00am but do not ask guests to vacate until 10.30am, I often fill in my time by starting on room changes etc, and that does find me on any number of floors in the house.
We do have a mobile bell, but you would be surprised at the amount of time this has been accidentally left in one of the bedrooms to later surprise guests, so we do tend to leave this downstairs.
I do however make sure that I regularly check the reception area/office to ensure no one is waiting, so I can only apologise if you were waiting a 10 minutes for me to appear. With so much to do I do try to maximise my time by starting on room changes in the rooms that have been vacated, however I hate to think that I kept you waiting. I also can assure you that your bags would have been perfectly safe at all times, as we ensure the doors are locked and secure, and when belongings are stored, they are done so, safely. In 33 years we have never had any issue with the safety of our guests or indeed their belongings.

I personally like to ‘check out’ all of my guests to ensure that they enjoyed their stay, and that there was nothing I could do to improve the enjoyment/quality of their visit, as it is a matter of personal as well as professional pride.

Once again, your comments have been taken on board and I do thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I do hope that if you or your lovely husband is looking for accommodation in this area again in future, you will consider us, and hopefully we will have, by that time made the necessary changes in order to ensure your stay is perfect.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

First time I have used the Duke of York guesthouse after going to Scarborough for a number of years, and will always use then from now on, excellent rooms, beautiful 180 degree panoramic South Bay views from the balcony rooms numbers 3 and 11. Jo's fresh cooked quality ingredient full English breakfasts are to die for. A beautiful home from home, excellent rooms and facilities, quality linen, mattresses and duvets, plenty of choice on the hospitality tray in the room, most comfiest 4 nights sleep away from home I have ever had. Everything is just a stones throw away given its central location. Warm, welcoming, nothing is too much trouble, really would give it ten out of ten, and recommend to anyone looking to stay in Scarborough,

Jo and her staff are very friendly, and I will be a returning guest on many occasions to come.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Our first stay here at the Duke of York,and it certainly will not be our last.Wonderful seaviews over South Bay.Clean and comfortable rooms.Tasty breakfast and very good coffee.The staff were so friendly and made our short stay very enjoyable.Fantastic central location in the old town.Thanks Edith,we will see you in the New Year.
Keith and Ros Henson

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed in this Guest House numerous times and each time its been brilliant! Joey is such a great host where nothing is too much. The rooms are spacious, airy and very clean and the views over the South Bay and harbour are amazing! Also in a great location for the Town Centre, I will certainly be staying here again. :-)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank sxibabe
Reviewed November 24, 2012

My daughter and I enjoyed a couple of wonderful days here. The host, Jo, is amazing - nothing is too much trouble. Her dogs are adorable, too. The room was huge and airy with an amazing view of South Bay, and the breakfast was the best I've had. I will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, and don't miss out on breakfast.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Myself, my wife and daughter stayed here at the end of October 2012. We've stayed in a few places around Scarborough and this is where we will always stay now. Great location, lovely friendly staff who always had a smile on their faces. We had a great view from our room which was very comfortable and my daughter also had a great view from her room. The breakfast was of a very high standard if you like a cooked one. Try this place ............... You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family