“Takes me back to my childhood”

Scarborough Open Air Theatre
Ranked #14 of 82 things to do in Scarborough
More attraction details
Owner description: Scarborough's Open Air Theatre is the largest in Europe, with the original being built by Scarborough Corporation in the 1930s. Since the open air theatre was re-launched in 2010 by Her Majesty the Queen, after a £3.5M refurbishment. Over the last few years, Scarborough Open Air Theatre has played host to some of the biggest names in the music industry, including Elton John, Jessie J, Boyzone, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, JLS, Status Quo and McFly to name a few. For all the latest information regarding this fantastic venue, including upcoming shows, please visit our website, like us on Facebook (OpenAirTheatre) and follow us on Twitter (ScarboroughOAT).
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Takes me back to my childhood”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Saw Status Quo at this venue in July. Brilliant show, great venue and the weather stayed fine. Just one complaint - the seats are not very comfortable but I do understand why they are plastic! I had many many years of watching musicals here in the 60's and it brought back, very vividly, memories of happy times with my parents who are sadly no longer with my brother and I. We all spent many a wet evening watching Carousel, King and I, Oklahoma, etc, etc. You could book your tickets but not the weather!!
Just a useful tip - don't turn up with food/drink as it will be taken off you. Also take a cushion!

1 Thank GrannieAnnie56

hull
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great venue”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Fantastic venue for a summer gig. Be warned there is no shelter from the elements. Sound quality was excellent.

Malton, England, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Please list support acts”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Our first trip to Scarboroughs open air theatre was 27th July to see Status Quo.There was NO mention of "Support Acts" on web sites advertising the show.There was NO mention on our tickets. I saw many posters and they did NOT state wheather there was support acts.
As it happened there were 3 drum kits on stage,which was my first indication that a supported was to be seen.
The two support bands were local and were both very good tight bands.Status Quo were better than I expected.They gave their all and looked to enjoy it. I never stand up at a gig but hey this was different.I did stand and dance to the suprise of my Wife.The venue is great and the tiered view of the stage was perfect and IF you are seated and people in front stood you can still see ok

1 Thank Johnkmcgrath
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“status quo gig”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

excellent! First support band were very good. Status Quo were great as usual - they're brilliant musicians and can sing!

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The best open air venue in Europe”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

If the weather is good the shows are fabulous, some big names perform there. Status Quo last weekend, Katherine Jenkins this weekend. the only down side is the over enthusiastic "security" that deprive you of any food or drink before you enter, so that you have to pay the exorbitant prices of the on site catering.

Visited September 2012