“Lovely old pub, terrible food and service” 2 of 5 bubbles

The poachers barn
Ranked #243 of 353 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Liversedge
“Lovely old pub, terrible food and service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Four of us went to this pub for lunch whilst visiting relatives nearby. Service was very very slow, as 3 of us ordered soup; parsnip and chestnut, which took an hour to arrive, although was hot and tasty when it did, but came with no cutlery. Main course took another good half an hour to come, I had the beer battered fish, chips and mushy peas, which when it came the fish looked overdone, but was mushy and under cooked on the inside ie inedible. The chips were okay, but the mushy peas had cold spots so obviously done in the microwave. Other meals ie jacket potato was ok and Jamaican stew also ok, although this was missed off the order so my partner had to wait another 20 mins or so for this. Very poor service and food, so will not return here, which is a shame, as was a cosy traditional pub.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

North Yorkshire
“Lovely Place...shame about the food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Lovely place, old rustic feel, pleasant atmosphere...

I ordered beef and ale pie with a side order of onion rings and partner ordered Cumberland sausage and mash.

The onion rings were cheap mushy things and the pie was a bit bland; I've had better tasting pie at cafes.

Partners sausage was a nice Cumberland ring but accompanied by Smash!!

For about £8 per meal I would have expected a bit more taste...

The menu i found on the Internet is also wrong

united kingdom
“wonderful hot food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I visisted this pub while staying with friends who live in scarborough they recommended it for a meal . It was a thurs tea time with plenty of tables but i noticed by the time we left they were full .I choose the sizzling chicken served with rice and dips it was certainly sizzling as it came to the table with steam flowing behind it ! My two friends had the mixed grill and the salmon with lime marinade all three meals were delicious . We indulged in the pudding which was the special of the day rhubarb crumble and custard , a bottle of wine is included on thurs with two main meals all in all fantastic value . When i visit again i will certainly go back .

• Visited November 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We went here after reading a review on Trip advisor about Cayton Bay holiday park. A guest had been here so we thought we'd give it a go, We went around 5.30pm and it was really quiet. The first thing we noticed though was how warm and welcoming it was. We ordered drinks and looked at the menu. They had 2 for £10 deals on so thought we'd try that, i had Gammon Steak with egg and pineapple my husband had burger, both came with chips, if we'd ordered these separately they would have come to about £15 so this was a good deal. Our meals came, my husbands burger was huge and looked very tasty, he said it was very good, my gammon was really thick and nice and juicy not at all processed it was proper gammon. My daughter had light bites BBQ Chicken with cheese and bacon and my little boy had nuggets and chips. My daughters meal was lovely too, if i was going to comment in the negative about anything it would be about the kids meal, there was nothing special about the nuggets, they were just the normal birdseye ones and certainly didn't match the quality of our meals (as you can get a better quality chicken nugget than these) We ordered pudding, my daughter had a huge profiterole with cream and chocolate sauce and i had a banana split. I had to share my pudding as it was huge and VERY tasty. We will definitley come here again, i'm disappointed i'd not found it sooner.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Worst service ever please please read on!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were a party of 4 adults and 2 children, on arrival we were seated at table and a drinks order was taken, the waitress brought the drinks and advised she would return in a few minutes to take a food order, over 10 mins passed and still no waitress, I approached our waitress to let her know we were ready to order, she replied by saying as she had already said she would be over in a few minutes. Another 20 mins passed 30 mins in total before she returned only to advise us the chef was busy and there would be 30 min wait on food,still no order was taken. It was over 40 mins before she returned, over an hour now since we arrived. A food order was finally taken only to find they could not fulfil the whole order. With 4 annoyed adults and 2 hungry children the order was cancelled. I spoke to the waitress/bar staff and mentioned it maybe good customer service to keed people informed, to which the bar staff/waitresses began to argue that non of this was there fault and the chef tells them when to take orders, I pointed out that they are front of house and it was indeed there fault for ruining our night. A complete sham from a "chef" who clearly can't cope to bar staff / waitresses who show absolutely no customer care. The worst place for a dining experience I have ever been to. Thank god there was a McDonald's nearby 5 mins later 2 fed and happy children, for the record we were not the only ones to leave that evening!

4 Thank Mashy4