“Should be shut down for Safetly Reasons if nothing else!! **AVOID**”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Should be shut down for Safetly Reasons if nothing else!! **AVOID**”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Heres a letter i sent to the manager.

Without a doubt the worst hole ive ever stayed in!

Should be shut down!

First time in 35 years ive complained about a hotel!

Shame i had to give it one star as id love to give it none!

REPORTED TO WATCHDOG! YOU ALL SHOULD DO THE SAME!

Tuesday 6th July 2010

Cc: Britannia Hotels /

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Firstly I would like to apologise for the amount of time it has taken me to write this letter, the reason for this was to enable me to calm down and write in a constructive manner something which I will still find difficult even a week after our “experience”.

With my wife being pregnant we decided to save some vouchers id won until close to the end of her pregnancy as a treat for ourselves before our new arrival was due.

After browsing the UK side of your website for a number of months we decided on “The Grand” hotel in Scarborough after perusing the Britannia website as this looked quite luxurious.

We also opted for Bed, breakfast & evening meal accommodation as this appeared to be EXCELLENT value for money for a low cost UK trip totalling £205 for Bed, breakfast and evening meal.

I ended up checking into the hotel on the afternoon of Sunday 27th June 2010 at around 3pm with my 8 month pregnant wife and 2 year old daughter in tow.

On the way to the room we found hand wash units on EVERY door entrance, something which we would usually see at hospitals, especially with this kind of volume.

On arrival at the hotel room we found what appeared to be vomit or food ALL over the door to the room.

We then gained entry to the room and found that there were white feathers and bird excrement all over the carpet in front of the windows and in addition to this all over the windows which appeared to have never been cleaned in the history of the hotel.

After some time in the hotel room we found a small A4 warning about a serious virus which had been present in the hotel.

I then went to telephone reception to discuss the matters in question, and to enquire why we had been allowed to check into the hotel without ANY sort of warning about the virus. Should I have been warned about this virus at the time of checking in we would have certainly checked out and found alternative accommodation. I can not believe for ONE MINUTE that we were allowed to check into the hotel bearing in mind my wife’s condition and the age of my daughter without ANY sort of warning!

I found that there was no telephone in the hotel room and I cannot believe that a hotel of this size would not have them from a safety point of view if not for any other reason.

I headed towards reception to complain about the raised points above but after opening the door to the reception area I was overpowered by the foulest smell I have ever been exposed to, something which reminded me of a nursing home my grandfather spent his last few weeks in.

On arrival at the reception the girl there was no help whatsoever and did not offer us ANY help or assistance.

We then spent the next 40 hours dashing between the front door of the hotel and our hotel room whenever we needed to get back to the room.

We ended up eating at restaurants in Scarborough as we could not face entering the hotel facilities for fear of our own safety (remember the Novo Warning).

In addition to this we had a day at the beach on Monday 30th June and after returning to the hotel to prepare for the evening ahead we found that there was no hot water, so my wife, daughter and I had to bathe in freezing cold water. This was due to me running a cold bath and complaining to reception only to be told “there’s nothing we can do as the entire hotel is affected”.

Also we were evacuated from the hotel as the fire alarm had been activated by a fire not in the hotel but in the street facing and we were kept outside the hotel for several minutes in just our night wear in the most unorganised commotion I have ever witnessed.

What should have been a relaxing trip to the coast as a treat for my wife and daughter turned out to be the most toiling, horrible holiday experience we have EVER had.

This hotel is a safety hazard and I have read some terrible reports on it since returning from our trip, I am also contemplating cutting and pasting this letter onto the Trip Adviser website.

I have enclosed copies of receipts for evening meals and a breakfast which we have had to purchase in Scarborough and we also spent a further £15 for breakfast on the first morning but didn’t retain the receipt.

I have also enclosed photographs of the door, carpet and windows of the hotel room, which I’m sure you will agree, are nothing short of a disgrace.

The Britannia and “The Grand” no words can describe how I feel about this hotel at this time.

I hope to hear back from you within 14 days of this letter being sent.

Yours Faithfully

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank splushcannon
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, January 7, 2017
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and we are sorry that we did not fully meet with your expectations for your recent stay with us.

We do try to ensure everyone has a seamless visit to us, and we are sorry that you feel that was not that case.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,216)
  • Polish first
wakefield
Reviewed August 3, 2010

after reading reviews before we went to the grand hotel we was rather nervous about our stay but on arrival we was located our keys and our luggage was taken by the porters to our rooms. we was shown to our room which was a standard double bedroom it was very clean and had all the facilities but we asked if we could upgrade to the premier rooms and they changed this straight away it cost £5pn and for the meal also £5pn i had a lovely 5 course meal and with plenty of choice too. the new premier room had a sea and also 32inch tv to watch also. i couldnt see any unhappy people whilst i was there and the entertainment on the evening was great they did a show called legends which was amazing all your pop n rock legends tribute. i will definately recommend this hotel to all we paid in total £119 fir 2 nights bed breakfast tea and return coach from our town and that was with the premier rooms included and premier meals. BARGAIN thanks

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Having read the reviews, I consider ourselves very lucky! We paid £45 for bead and breakfast and expected to be placed in a low standard room. However, we were delighted to be offered a room with a sea view which was a real treat - it really made our trip! The room was fine. A little small but acceptable for myself and my daughter (aged 3). It was clean as was the recently fitted bathroom (no bath, just a shower but that didn't bother me at all). The bed was a little lumpy. Breakfast was ok. It was totally self service and the big dining room meant many trips backwards and forwards so not very relaxing! The tea was awful though. The general decoration of the hotel is in need of some upgrading. The foyer/staircase is very grand and impressive and it would make a wonderful hotel if it could be fully restored - it's a shame really. We enjoyed our short stay but wouldn't really want to stay for a week.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
doncaster
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Lovely foyer / fantasteic bathroom.
A room with NO view. We did have a frosted, filthy window with a message written in the dirt and a generous helping of plaster splattered on the outside. we could makeout the fire escape just outside and there was no natural light, the window could not be opened!The constent moaning of the air con did its best to keep us awake.
Poor quality food.Poor choice of meals. No waitress service. Help yourself to flasks of warm tea/coffee.
Buffet style, which actually resembled a cross between cattle market and a factory canteen!
We was 2 floors down, on the stairs down 1st flight not carpeted!!

1 Thank seasidegirldoncaster

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Bishopbriggs
Reviewed August 1, 2010

A very impressive hotel from the outside, in a wonderful location of Scarborough. However, although the hotel looks out over the bay, I was placed in a back room, with a lovely view of scaffolding! The room was not very clean and the valance on the bed was in fact torn! Some people even had internal rooms, with no windows, is that actually legal? The staff seemed to have a "could not care less" attitude and we only found 1 member of staff in the restaurant who seemed to take pride in being helpful. Restaurant facilities were buffet style although you could pay an extra £10.00 per head to have your food actually served to you - same food for an extra £10.00 - I don't think so!

The hotel is very large and only had 1 lift working - which was very small and really only had room for 2 people although was supposed to hold 8 (obviously not very grown up people)! Final straw for me was the fact the latch on the door to my room broke at 11pm on my last night and after going down 3 flights of stairs to report this, the only staff member present was a security guard - it also turned out to be him who came to fix the door so not sure what happened to the "security" of the hotel for that period of time!

Finally, on our last morning, having had to served ourselves at the buffet breakfast, I was actually scolded like a child by the Restaurant Manager for taking my pot of coffee from the wrong area of the room and she swiftly swept it away - did it really matter?

Was never so glad to see the back of the "NOT SO GRAND" Hotel and doubt very much that I'll return.

manchester
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I have stayed at the grand three times before and have always been very happy with the service and food. I recently booked and afterwards had a look at the reviews of the hotel. I was a bit worried about the wisdom of going after seeing the poor reviews but went ahead. I found the experience a very good one. We asked for a seaview room and was very pleased to get one. It was very clean and the view was great. We found the food varied, plentiful and was always topped up quickly when running low. All the staff were friendly, hard working and attentive. The reception area and corridors we walked along were always clean and the carpets looked in good condition.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
co durham
Reviewed July 27, 2010

This hotel needs urgent attention. I think the best thing is to kock it down and start again. Evening meal and breakfast was the worst food I have ever seen, I would not touch it, tables were scruffy and chairs were covered in old food. Bedroom (Room 241) was very smelly, don't know if it was the toilet or sink but my son who is only 5 was nearly sick with the stench when brushing his teeth. We were only there for 1 night thankfully or I would have complained. Building work is currently underway, my friend and her son who we travelled with were awake all night because of the noise from above as they worked through the night. Scarborough is a lovely place and this hotel spoils it.

1 Thank dawsond