“It is what it is....”

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
hull
“It is what it is....”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Travel to Scarborough 5 or 6 times a year its one of my favourite hotspots, but never stayed over. When I saw dinner, bed and breakfast for £57 it was a no brainer. Check inn was smoth, the place looked in character on the inside, grand and elegant but worn in places. We had a basement room so no window, bothered me at first but it was a lovely evening so we ventured out to explore. Dinner was mass produced easy to serve food, carvery style. Turkey, tuna bake or beef pasty, worked ok. Our room although no window was spacious and clean, shower was spot on, constant hot water and a mighty pressure. Breakfast again mass produced buffet style, it served its purpose, messy in places but the waiting staff were pleasant. We ventured round the hotel and there is that grand feel about it with the open staircase and ballrooms. My only negative would be the smell in the basement corridors and rooms, once you were used it it it became bareable a real fusty stale smell. When you think the travelodge accross the road wanted double what I paid, I am glad I had the experience. Scarborough by night is stunning, especially on a nice evening, eating ice cream at 9pm at night walking on the beach was amazing!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, June 9, 2014

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,190)
  • Polish first
morlandmonk
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This hotel is amazing, a little dated and clearly targeted at the coach trip market, but even without the tlc that she deserves she is marvellous. The staff are friendly and the location could not be better. Main complaint is that, if you sign up for the rewards programme at the hotel, you do not get the points for that stay (unlike nearly every other hotel scheme I've ever joined!).

Room Tip: Every room is different but make sure you tell them you want a window (some rooms do not!).

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Picked a standard room not as picture shown.Bathroom very shabby and ill equipped.No bedside tables and furniture looks like it came from a charity shop.Old fashioned tv in room.Creaking floor boards ,dread to think what a budget room is like.Good point food was good.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and go for a premium room
1 Thank stuart d
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us. We will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

As you have posted directly to Tripadvisor I cannot investigate which bedroom you stayed within so we can fully investigate your feedback, this is not the standards we have in place at the hotel.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2014

A great building, shame about everything else, breakfast appalling, rooms on third floor not clean, bathroom terrible, we were booked for 2 nights but decided to leave after 1 night.
Plenty of people complaining about the hotel when we checked out. Never again!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank wdenise655

Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Whilst staying at Whitby this week, we decided to check out this hotel, in Scarborough, with a view to possibly staying there in the near future. Am I glad we did... We went, around midday on Thursday this past week) for a coffee in the Java Café (I think it's in what's called the Empress Suite). We had a surly welcome (welcome is not what I would call it) from the lady behind the counter. I asked for two lattes, one extra hot, to which I got a mumble and a turned back. I ended up with two extra hot lattes, which, I suppose, is better than nothing, but there was no friendliness or politeness. I felt I was being a nuisance being there at all. The atmosphere was depressed, the décor gloomy and tired/dirty in places, on the outside terrace, the gulls had done their worst and there were slot machines in abundance. I spoke to a man staying there and he said the food was awful and there was a problem with flies. Well, I'm sorry, but that was enough for me...

1 Thank EtoileSanderstead
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to our Cafe Java. We will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Our sun terrace is shortly about to be completely refurbished in the coming weeks.

We will investigate your feedback further in relation to the Cafe Java team as this is not how we would expect any of our team to interact with our guests.

Sandy, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed here on Just Go coach tour last week. Check-in a little chaotic as two coaches arrived at once. The hotel is a fine old building with some modifications to suit modern requirements. Public rooms comfortable and charming. Bedrooms small but adequate for the purpose. Hot water supply excellent, powerful shower. Some fellow guests complained about being cold but my wife and I were able to sleep with the window partially open. We were very satisfied with breakfast but the dinners were a little bland and sometimes poorly presented. There were those amongst our fellow guests who didn't enjoy any of the meals and were not happy with rooms so opinions and tastes vary. My wife and I found it an enjoyable stay overall and would consider staying again. A minor point - the lifts provide a very slow service during "rush hours".

Room Tip: Sea views are available.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, June 10, 2014

Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The public area's of this Victorian Grand edifice are definitely in keeping with it's outward appearance - it's just a shame that the more private area's. the bedrooms, are tired and dated. But overall, the bedrooms are only for sleeping so probably I am nit-picking as the bed was comfortable. The food was very good and plentiful, the staff were attentive and friendly and we got an excellent deal for 2 nights from GoGroopie, paying only £89 for 2 nights DB&B with a complimentary bottle of wine on the first night. And the Red wine we chose was very palatable.
We enjoyed our stay at the Grand and would definitely go again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lesr48
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, June 5, 2014