“Boringly standard”

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Boringly standard”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed there in jan 2014 and was quite disappointed the room wasn't ready for 2 hours however to compensate we had a sea view room with a Jacuzzi bath tub. As part of our package we had 4 free drinks however the beer was flat despite complaining. The food was like school dinners and would definitely recommend eating out in the town somewhere. The location is good.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. All your feedback has been passed to the relevant departments for improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,191)
  • Polish first
Cramlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

After reading some of the reviews for this hotel it was with some trepidation that we went on a coach trip staying at the Grand for 2 nights. Yes the hotel is faded but our room was clean and warm with plenty hot waterand although quite small it was perfectly fine for a couple of nights. As we had only paid £79.0 for 2 nights plus free travel dinner bed and breakfast and 5 free drinks we honestly were not expecting very much but we were pleasantly surprised and one of our party managed to bag a room with a brand new spa bath for the same price! The food was perfectly fine and I am quite picky and all the staff were helpful, so don't dismiss this hotel for a cheap bargain break and as an extra plus point the Elvis tribute act was first class.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sue T
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, January 8, 2014

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel food and staff were brill new year was absolutely wonderful but we ordered and paid for a delux room with sea view but although we got the sea view the room was no where near delux it only had a 3/4 bed and there was no room to move about it was far from delux it was very disappointing

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments.

I was sorry to learn you did not get the room you booked, please feel free to contact the hotel direct in future and we will ensure your requirements are met.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have just spent the last 24hours at the Grand and had no reason to complain. Yes the room was not massive but I was only staying for one night. The bathroom was spotless only thing wrong no razor point. The bed linen and towels were spotless as well as the whole room.
The furniture was in the style of the 1930's in keeping with the hotel's theme. The windows had dust on them but in light of the weather we are having I was not surprised.
The evening meal a choice of soup or a cold starter was lovely, then roast beef with all the trimmings was very nice, a medley of cold puddings or a hot sponge and custard went down very well. It was self service but you could have as much or as little as you wanted.
Breakfast this morning choice of cereals or fruit ,two fruit juices, tea or coffee toast hot food eggs, beans, tomatoes, sausage bacon fried bread and even chips was hot and very tasty, and again as much as you wanted. Tables for both meals cleared quietly and quickly by very pleasant staff in fact All the staff who I met in the hotel were the same. I went with a well known bus company on a cheap two day trip but would not hesitate in going back as an ordinary quest. I had a wonderful time thank you one and all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Judy C H
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
leeds
Reviewed January 6, 2014

went on a 3 day coach weekend, the single room i was given had a lovely view, was of a decent size had a newish carpet and curtains and was reasonably furnished.It was warm, had clean white bedding n towels. The food was ok plenty of choice and at least you could help yourselves to as much or as little as you wanted,although the dining area is like a cattle market and if possible get a table by the window for the lovely view over Scarborough.The entertainment was great with 2 tribute shows in a nice area. I would return as the hotel is in such a good position and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: a sea view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jepLeeds
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I never ever give bad reviews, even when I have had, what I thought, were bad experiences. This 4 day trip, with a well known coach tour company, has just taken the biscuit and I feel compelled to advise others of the nightmare we had. We arrived to a lovely looking hotel, Grand and beautiful in stature. Once inside, we checked in with our tour operator, and arrived to find a room that was akin to a box bedroom. It was very tired and shabby, and the shower was filthy. I asked to be moved, and we were moved to another room on another floor. Window frame had dropped so the wind coming in was literally moving the curtains, shower and bath were dirty, tiles mouldy and jacuzzi with a half pressed in button that was filthy and did not work. I dread to think of the bacteria lurking in those fittings! One plug socket, one broken....with the word 'broken' written above in spidery hand written black ball point pen! Now, this did bother us but we did not want to move again, so we thought we would just make the best of it, after all it was a good price and we still had our meals to go,and we had shelter and heat....how wrong we were! It was extremely windy, and as i mentioned, it was like being outside, inside of the room. The heating was on for three hours, then nothing all night and morning. we were beyond freezing. The first morning I was considering booking into the travel lodge across the road for the last two nights! We queued for our meal sitting, as the coach tours sittings are staggered. Once inside, we ventured up to the self serve hot meal. Didn't look too good, but got pork veg potatoes and gravy. My goodness!!! I have never tasted any meat so inedible in my whole life!!! I discreetly had to spit it into my napkin.The veg was under cooked, potatoes cold, and the gravy tasted like vomit. I am not even exaggerating. We left after five minutes, starving and depressed. Back in the room it was freezing. I complained at reception and was told 'it will be going on', it didn't. All night we were freezing cold. The next day I complained again, was told the same thing. I wanted to ask the barmaid about our drinks tickets, me and my partner were standing there while she stood right in front of us, aware we were waiting, complaining about hotel management to another colleague. She was clearly making us wait until she finished her slanging match, very unprofessional. I walked away, I was not going to be made to feel that way. Generally bar staff were unprofessional and not bothered about us customers, having private conversations whilst customers queued and answering any questions asked abruptly and inadequately. I was appalled at how unfriendly the staff here were. Very bad manners and lack of respect.They should all go on a customer service course! Back to reception to complain about the heating......it came on on our second night on and off all night and morning so we were heavily depressed but warm. This did not last. Our last night, the heating turned off in the evening and off all night and morning. We are so happy to be home. I was demented and on the verge of tears every day. We spent way too much because we had to have breakfast and dinner elsewhere. I am out of pocket by hundreds for an experience I will never forget for all of the wrong reasons. Stay here at your peril. And take a hot water bottle.......

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank DaisyLilac
Dear Guest,

As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your experience. Our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay. Please do feel free to contact us direct.

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Leeds
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had a pre Christmas break with National Holidays 16-20th Dec . As usual could not find anything to moan about. Our room was excellent clean with lovely sea view and a great Jacuzzi bath !
The food was plentiful with excellent choices and staff friendly and helpful (brilliant complimentary mince pies on arrival).
Fortunately the usual moaners must have stayed at home this time (makes a nice change !)
Entertainment was good and even the weather was good considering the time of year sunshine and blue skies.
The only thing we think the Management could look at is the price of the Bingo tickets when they sold about 100 tickets and only paid out 20 odd pounds in prize money it does put people off playing as we only played on the first night.
All in all excellent value for money and we will be back

Room Tip: our room 310 was brilliant
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends