“Plesent suprise”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Enjoyed a lovely romantic weekend and there were a fantastic spa bath hotel was nice and clean got extra towels when asked breakfast was basic but nice bacon was a little dry apple juice was on the cheap side hotel staff were friendly
parking terrible

1  Thank peter w
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel in regards to your recent stay. Due to the location of the hotel and when the hotel was built we have no car parking, we do sell car parking permits for £3 for a number of pay and display bays within the local area next to the hotel. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Scarborough

Reviewed October 4, 2013

From the outside it,s grand and the public areas just inside the door are quite impressive, that's where the good stuff ends.
Had to queue for over a hour to check in, it looked like priority was given to coach parties, who had one of the reception staff board the coach to check them in.
The room was dated with peeling paper there was no shower just a bath dispite a shower being requested when I booked six months earlier as i am disbled and cant use a bath. And the room was so cold, the alternatives offered where no better.
There was always a queue for the dinning room, which was large with a wonderfull view over Scarbourghs south bay, sadly this was spoiled by the thick layer of dirt on all the windows.
The food was of poor quality and poorly presented. The breakfast which came in with the room price was abismal, The egg either under cooked or worse the bacon appeared to have been cooked in an oven and individual rashers no longer recognisable and as for the sausages, they were the worse thing I have tasted.
We did try the evening meal on our first night, and only on our first night.
Needless to say we did not stay the full four nights booked and will never be going back.

Room Tip: Just don't go there
1  Thank smalfry

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I recently visited this hotel and loved everything about the building, the nice relaxed atmosphere, the friendly staff and other travellors.
I took my daughter who is thirteen and she loved the building and basically we could explore the hotel which added a bit of fun and excitement to the trip.
The breakfast was really nice and set us up for the day.
We love Scarborough and always in the many times ive visited had the best time here.

Room Tip: A seaview room is always the nicest option
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jane B

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel in regards to your recent stay. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed here mid September with a golfing group, all I can say is, it's a good job my wife wasn't with me as we would have been out of the door sooner than when we went in.
Our room was 2 floors down, in the gunnels!! I would hesitate to call it a room, cell, would be more apt, not enough room to swing a cat and no window.
Breakfast was even worse, can't say when I was last presented with a sausage of such low quality, I would have thought the kitchen manager would take the hint as there weren't many sausages eaten.
I can quite catagorically say,never again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank ellyEastYorkshire

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Unfortunately, the Grand Hotel Scarborough does not live up to its name and the room we were offered was a disaster (405). The building looks quite impressive from the outside but as soon as you enter it, the charm is gone. In fact it looked like a run-down 70s Las Vegas hotel. The way to the hotel room felt like walking around a big hospital with carpet, the door opened with an old-fashioned key and made me wonder how safe my things are in this room as you couldn't really lock it properly but just pull is close. There was a laminated sheet on the bed informing people of the norovirus (that might explain the family sized hand sanitizers at the reception desk) and that you can be infected anywhere and not just in the Grand Hotel and how to avoid infection. The view out of the window featured a brick wall and the bathroom made me wonder how I will manage the next morning. It had no shower but a rather old looking bathtub with two taps – one for cold and one for hot water (talking 70s again). Tiles were used sparely and I seem to recall only seeing one bath towel. And no phone to complain to reception about this obvious misunderstanding. How would anyone pay for this? We checked out the same day. Needless to say I won't go back.

4  Thank NM133

Dear Guest,
As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your experience, our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay. In relation to the Information leaflet regarding Noro-Virus this is there for guests information and to ensure all guests are fully aware of the Virus, this Virus is very common in large hotels, cruise ships & hospitals. We are very pleased to confirm there have been no out brakes in the hotel due to our new approach to educating customers and increased levels of sanitizer around the hotel.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Arrived at hotel and first impressions were great. Got to room and it was downhill from there. No hot water, not heating. Asked about heating and told not on till October so "wrap a blanket around you" was response. Had to boil kettle for hot water to have a wash, couldn't use shower as its was a step up to the shower unit....difficult task for a disabled person. Dinning was buffet style but no trays and as I'm disabled and need a stick to walk with this was almost impossible ..thanks goodness for the friends I was with as the hotel staff weren't interested.
Wouldn't recommend this to anyone.....

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I'll try to keep this brief - thankfully like our stay (2 nights). We were moved to this hotel (like many others) because The Royal Hotel had water leaks apparently. We later found out this story has been peddled for months.

We were originally booked to a executive double room with a sea view...lovely we thought. On arrival in the 5th floor room we found it to be single size, with a double bed crammed into an alcove with one side against the wall (which was grubby from sweaty bodies rubbing against it). We knew it was designed as a single due to the single head-board on the wall. On opening the curtains I was greeted by a seagull staring up at me from it's nesting perch...the window and window sill covered in bird droppings. Despite what appeared to be a modern re-fitted bathroom, the loo didn't flush properly and the 'sunken' ceiling spotlight in the shower was hanging down on it's wires. The room did not appear to have been properly cleaned.

We went back to reception and were given a proper double room on the 4th floor which was marginally better, although the bathroom was old style, no sea view and we had to walk a long way to the stairs. We needed to use the stairs as the lift was SO slow at arriving.

Every single meal-time involved queuing for at least 10 minutes to get into what is a very large dining hall. The food was only just passable as edible, although my Wife couldn't face eating anything on the first night. The sea view would be lovely from the restaurant, however the windows appeared grubby. The whole dining area looked tired and a bit grubby. The staff were helpful and attentive.

This hotel is used largely by pensioner coach parties...pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap. I pitied some of the less abled guests due to all the stairs to negotiate. We stayed on a Wowcher deal - I guess you get what you pay for and we tried to make the most of our time in Scarborough. This hotel is a fabulous building which is in need of some serious renovation and a serious look at dining room policy and practice. Would I stay here again? Absolutely not - Britannia should hang their heads in shame at letting this place go.

Room Tip: Don't stay here or worse still The Royal which looked even worse.
1  Thank DPM59er