“You get what you pay for.....”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
newcastle upon tyne
“You get what you pay for.....”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a Cricket Club tour to the town. This is a perfect hotel for a lads weekend as the `interesting` experiences you will certainly have are all grist to the banter mill and will fuel reminiscence for years to come. I should also note that the club stayed at the Brittania Norbreck Castle in Blackpool in 2010 so this was part two of the rarely completed `fear and gravy double`.
We all stayed in `saver twin` rooms on floor minus 2. There are no windows, the rooms are boiling hot and the facilities are almost non existent with cleaning on the patchy side. The trick to dealing with the heat is to stay out until 4am in the sophisticated nite klubs of the town and drink anaesthetic quantities of warm lager. The cost for B+B was £22.50 p.p.p.n however, hence the title of this review.
Only the truly hard up amongst us braved the soviet style queues for breakfast and I recommend the close by cafe at the cliff lift which does a great fry for a fiver.
Its not all bad though, the external view of the building is fabulous and we relaxed in the hot autumn sun with on the magnificent terrace before our matches and enjoyed the great views of the bay.
Go for it all you experience chasers.....life isn`t all chocolates on the pillow and fair trade muesli.

Room Tip: A masochist will enjoy the saver twins in the basement
6 Thank magpiejim
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,190)
  • Polish first
Scotland
Reviewed September 24, 2013

There are many many bad reports about this hotel. Fortunately we had quite nice, and clean rooms, but many aspects leave a lot to be desired as it could do with a right good clean! For sure, there are notices on the bed warning of the dangers of norovirus and how they will deal with it, which is a bit concerning as you deposit your cases, and we do know of a couple of people on our bus trip who suffered the consequences of flea bites and being put into the dungeon, underground rooms which have no windows or ventilation. All of which is a real shame as in its day this hotel would have been outstanding, and indeed the main reception rooms and ballroom and entrance complete with staircase and balcony still are to an extent and well worth going to see...but my sincere advice would be to stay somewhere else...just in case you end up in one of the awful rooms, which they allocate quite happily obviously! Food was acceptable and plentiful, albeit a bit like a dinner school experience. Staff work very hard under what I am sure must be difficult circumstances, going by the queue of people waiting to complain!!!

Room Tip: Make friends with the receptionist on duty!!!
2 Thank ScotlandAudrey
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to raise these issues regarding your stay. we are reviewing the issues raised with a view to improving service. In relation to the information leaflet regarding Noro-Virus this is there for guest’s information and to ensure all guests are fully aware of the Virus. This Virus is very common in large hotels, Cruise Ships and Hospitals. We are very pleased to confirm there have been no outbreaks in the hotel due to our approach to educating customers and increased levels of sanitizers around the hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Chester-le-Street, Co. Durham
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Well I did, because it's one of the most fascinating hotel buildings in the UK. Built on the these of time with four towers for the seasons, twelve floors for the months, and 365 rooms, one for every day of the year. It's shaped like a V for Queen Victoria. I was at a conference, and the Mayor of Scarborough specifically mentioned the Grand in his speech. Most of the delegates were in the Crown Spa and the Premier Inn; I had the real Grand experience.

I have no doubt those who rated it terrible had a bad experience, but I did not. I booked with Superbreak, and had to queue for check-in, but this was completed swiftly and I just had to sign my name. Room 430A was probably not as grand as 430, being on the fourth floor, with a small bedroom and excellent view from the toilet which would have been enhanced had the windows been cleaned some time in the past five years. I have stayed in smaller rooms but none with such a fascinating internal fire escape which, after various twists and turns came out right by reception. I found the briefing on novovirus interesting and wondered whether they really would insist on 48 hours being confined to the room if I was due to check out. Some things about this hotel are excellent, especially if you like Victorian architecture, and the queues for breakfast are terrible (luckily I was not on a coach tour with a precise breakfast time), there were 5 coachloads in, so I could go any time I liked. Indeed I went to top up my coffee cup, and whilst away my place was cleared, a new one laid, and someone was already sitting in it when I went back after no more than a minute. I just smiled sweetly at the lady, and drank my coffee standing. This is a hotel for the adventurous.....

Room Tip: Only stay here if you have a sense of adventure. Some rooms are to die for. Some rooms are to die i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank anylex
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel in regards to your recent stay.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Hornsea
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I decided to take a weekend break as it was his 60th birthday, we booked through National Holidays, one night stay at the Grand Hotel Scarborough. Like many others we were very sceptical after reading trip advisor reviews. The Grand is a beautiful building, it is a little tired in places and could do with some TLC.

The staff work really hard and are brilliant, Lucy on the reception assisted me in ordering a surprise birthday cake, and added a complimentary bottle of champagne, which was a lovely surprise with our evening meal.

There was a bit of a wait for the restaurant and some residents complained at the staff, not the staffs fault !! The service was really good as was the food. It was a carvery but plenty of choice.

It amazes me that when you have a choice of roast beef, chicken, pork and fish that some people feel that they have to have all four and pile plates as if we are expecting a famine. I find this most unacceptable and very annoying.

The rooms may seem a little tired, my only grouch would be that the grouting was out of many tiles in the bathroom shower , this could quite of easily been fixed with not a lot of effort.
However the room was clean, the linen was clean and for a price of 69 pounds each which included a trip on the north yorkshire steam train and a visit to Whitby this was amazing value for money.

Sylvene who works in the bar gave great service and could not do enough for us, well done to the staff of the Grand we had a great weekend beautiful weather, and enjoyed sitting on the terrace with a glass of wine watching the sun go down. Many thanks x

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lyn A
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel in regards to your recent stay.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Arrived on Monday 16th Sept. for a 3 night stay. We were originally booked in at the Britannia Royal, but transferred because of a *maintenance problem*? Can't complain about the price. We were put in a 'premier'? room. It was a fairly good size, but as soon as we went in the house keeping left a lot to be desired. The tv and the unit it stood on musn't have ben dusted for a month and the TV remote fell apart when it was picked up. It was held together with a grotty piece of black sticky tape. The complaints were rectified the same day. Could hardly see through the windows as the outside of them were so dirty. I know there is a problem cleaning them and there is netting down the side of the building but it did spoil any view of the sea we had. 6.10am the fire alarm went off.and again at 6 in the evening. No heating on in the rooms. Entertainment OK if you want bingo for most of the evening. We went over to the Royal in the evenings as there was a very good singer/musician and dancing. Food was quite good, but no table cloths on the tables for the evening meal. Made the room feel like a canteen. The lift to floors 3/2/1 only held 3 people and getting to where you wanted to go was a lottery. We gave up and used the stairs, despite us both being in our 70's. This is a beautiful victorian hotel with 365 rooms.but does not live up to it's name. The staff were very civil and the reception staff were friendly. The staff worked very hard and I think overworked at times. Perhaps a few more staff would be a good idea as there were a lot of coach parties in the hotel while we were there. We got out and about and enjoyed Scarborough and the surrounding area. Ultimately the hotel did not stop us enjoying our few days.

Room Tip: The higher rooms seem to be more popular and the lifts are more reliable.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jean C
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have just returned from this hotel it is terrible its like faulty towers.Cobwebs in dining room dust everywhere windows have never been cleaned queued for 30mins for dinner at night worst hotel I have ever stayed in.Avoid!!!!!!!

Room Tip: make sure you are above groung level there are rooms below with no windows.There are no good rooms.
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your experience. Our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay. Please do feel free to contact us direct.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Booked a single room and after waiting ages on reception due to other people complaining about their rooms, I finally paid for my room and went to it. When I got there, I learnt that it had no window (and was really hot). I returned to reception to ask for another room, and was told that as I had already paid, I couldn't change rooms, but could pay for another one (and not be re-imbursed). When I explained that I had no idea that I would not have a window, I was advised that as it was a 'city' room - no window was given. Really awful hotel - too big for the amount of staff trying to run it, and with large tour breaks visiting the place can't cope.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a city room - it means no window.
Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. The room which you stayed in was one of our value rooms, these rooms are the newest additions to the hotel, offering good value for money, all of our value rooms contain air cooling with the addition of a fan for your comfort. To guarantee a room with a window it is advisable to upgrade to an executive room which have sea views