“Ok it's not still 'Grand' or 4*, but I didn't pay 4* prices.”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Huntingdon England, United Kingdom
“Ok it's not still 'Grand' or 4*, but I didn't pay 4* prices.”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My partner & I booked for 2 nights, in a standard double room with Bed Breakfast and evening meal and a free bottle of wine on the 1st night.
The exterior of the Hotel is stunning, this is carried through into the main lobby and ballroom areas. The reception is small and rather overrun, so queues can form very quickly if a problem occurs. The hotel is a 'rabbit warren' of corridors and stairs, in which you can easily become lost, but once you get your 'bearings' and work out the location of your room, it is easy to find your way around.
The room we were allocated was on the 5th floor, with a view of the town. We, like many others, had a resident Sea Gull, who was there to greet us when ever we opened the curtains in the morning, but we were at the seaside. Our room was good, yes it needed a bit of moderation and we would of preferred a shower instead of a bath, but this was not a major problem and fully understandable due to the age of the Hotel.
The large patch of 'damp' on the ceiling was unpleasent, but it was clear that some work had been made to rectify the problem but this had not yet been finished. Maybe the room should of been taken of the 'available list' until the work had been completed. But all in all, the room was fine.

Breakfast was basic, but ok, some small changes to the preparation and quality of the food would of make vast improvements.
The bacon was tough and stuck together and the sausages were very greasy. The cereal was of a 'basic brand' and the fruit was a tinned.
The coloured blue and brown thermal jugs containing coffee and the hot water for tea were great, however wouldn't it be better to have the coffee in a brown jug and the water in blue jug, not the other way around ? I made the mistake of pouring coffee on to my t'bag on day 1 and during my stay I saw many other residents do the same.
The tables had seen better days, but simple cheap vinyl table cloths, would brighten these up no end. Due to the local bird-life, the windows needed a serious clean, its impossible to stop this, but some of the 'bird-poo' had been on the exterior of the windows quite some time and after all this is were residents eat the food, which is not very appetizing.
Overall upgrading the quality of the food used, just by a fraction, would improve the quality food offered to residents no end. Also just a few managerial changes to the running of the restaurant and the overall dinning environment, would improve for the overall dinning experience for the residents and in turn reduce complaints.
But all in all, the food was edible, but not enjoyable. Dinner was pretty much the same, edible but uninspiring.

The Hotel is vast and I'm guessing a 'never-ending money pit' for management and as they resolve one problem another one appears.

In rounding up, the architecture of the Grand is amazing, it is no longer the high quality hotel it was in it 'hay-day', but we did not pay high quality prices, so we did not expect the 'turn of the century' grandeur and splendour that made the hotel famous. However there are a few basic thing's that could be done, easily and fairly cheaply, to improve the overall experience of there customers stay.

All that said we will be returning, most probably only as B&B, because at around £55 a night for a couple, The Grand competed very well with other hotels and establishments in the area offering a similar service, however the Grand has the massive bonus of the architecture and its history, which pushes it above the others in my book.

Room Tip: Higher floors, to avoid the 'below level' no window, basement rooms.
1 Thank Dawn C
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. In relation to your dining experience this feedback has been passed on to our catering department.
We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,245)
  • Polish first
Barnsley
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I had originally booked a room in the Royal for me and my Mum, when we got there we found we'd been transferred to the Grand. We carted our luggage round there and was then told we couldn't check in till 2pm ( it was 1pm) We had our luggage put away and went for a short walk and got back at 3pm, to find at least 60 people queuing to check in!! we decided to sit down and wait for the queue to go down, after an hour we were still there as the queue just never went down, by this time I asked to speak to a manager and she finally dealt with us after 30 minutes, she was helpful and got our key and our luggage, we finaly got in our room ( 635) at 5pm, it was so small the twin beds were pushed together and there was just room to walk round the beds, the bathroom was small but had a jacuzzi bath which looked new. To get to the room involved going up to floor 5 walking round 2 corridors and then up another lift to floor 6. I prayed there wasn't a fire as my Mum is 81 and she's not good with stairs.

We ate in the Premier twice ( we were offered the meals as an apology from the manager) they were buffet style and ok, I've eaten better but also worse. The service wasn't fantastic, both times I had to clear the table myself so that we could get a desert.

Breakfast was ok, there was plenty to choose from, we were down there early but when leaving the downstairs restaurant we noticed that the queue for breakfast went up the stairs and almost to the front door of the hotel so if you stay here I would suggest getting down there no later than 7.30 unless you like queuing!

The lounge was always teeming with people, children and dogs so we went to the lounge in the Royal which was beautiful and quiet.

The parking was in an NCP car park which was a 15 minute walk away for me, they gave me a discount card at the hotel which knocked 10% off but still ended up paying over £30 for parking which I hadn't expected.

It's put me off holidaying in Scarborough.

Room Tip: I heard a lot of people complaining about rooms in the basement, I would check that you have a room...
3 Thank Kathryn S
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. All your feedback has been passed to the relevant departments for improvements.
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have been a coach driver for about thirty two years now and stay in roughly 25 to 30 Hotels in a year.... I have been in some really excellent places and some not too good places........ but the Grand in Scarborough is the most disgusting dirty filthy place I have ever had the misfortune to stay in.
As coach driver I don't expect the best room and certainly don't get it . But after a long days drive and looking after passengers I do really think the hotel could oblige with a decent room.....let me explain.
My room was like the proverbial "broom cupboard" the bed was a child's bed with the obligatory stains on the mattress and sheets that we have come to expect and love from the Grand.... the "sea view " could be seen if you stood on the end of the bed and look over the top of the wardrobe.
I I look down I see a flat roof covered in razor wire, birds mess and a few dead seagulls. LOVELY. And finally I could not even think what those red lumps were on my legs when I left the hotel.
When complaining the staff were less that helpful and the food was almost adequate in the underground resturaunt.
If I talk to other drivers about this hotel they just grimace and cringe away in shame.
NO THANK YOU "NO SO GRAND HOTEL"................

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your experience. Our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay. Please do feel free to contact us direct.

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

"GRAND IN NAME ONLY" 19/8/2013 Now back from a weekend trip with just go booked twin room and 2 singles.One single room was 6,4"x 7,6" with a window 9 feet up which could not be opened not even a wardrobe. The other single room not much better with a dirty stained carpet make sure you take your slippers . The. twin room also had dirty carpet the towels left in room stained and dirty.The self service restaurant tables were not clean,plates with dirty dried on food.quality of food awful bacon stuck together and tasted like salty cardboard, sausages tastless, gammon more fat than meat, All windows dirty, Toilets near reception disgusting, never used so much hand cleaner as we did here.Be prepared for long queues at reception with people making complaints.Stayed in a lot of hotels this is the worst ever will not be returning. Would rather stayed at fawlty towers

4 Thank bill792013
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, January 8, 2014

Runcorn, Cheshire
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just had two nights with family at the not so Grand Hotel. We arrived to be told the rooms were not ready after queing a very miserable receptionist told us to come back in twenty minutes. We sat in reception went back again had to wait in line just to learn the rooms we had booked were in the basement we asked to change but were told it was full. The room was nice and clean but had a musty smell we had to ask for a fan which we were given. We had booked bed and breakfast we were glad we had not booked any other meals. The breakfast was not to bad but the plates and cutlery was not very clean We made the best of the break but would not return to this hotel

d

Room Tip: Make sure when you book you are not in the basement
1 Thank Esta29
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I don't write reviews but I'm so disgusted I was compelled to do so. We booked The Grand for a special occasion and was looking forward to a break. What we got was something akin to a horror movie. We were "buried" below ground in a TINY room WITHOUT a window but hey, we were supplied with a small fan for circulation of the god awful musty, damp smell, oh the joy!! The heat was unbearable, I was sure they had made a mistake and put us in the sauna!! The mattress was filthy, and we had hairs in the bed!! My partner was terrified to sleep in case of a fire, the directions to the fire exists/assembly points were confusing to say the least, eventually we found our way to the courtyard. No escape from there if the whole building is up in flames, I suppose we would just stand there and wait for the falling debris to land on our heads!! The staff are the most arrogant and rude we have ever come across and we were not alone in complaining. The food was little more than gruel type slop, I wouldn't feed it to my pigs!! After one night in that hell hole I awoke thanking the lord for letting me see another day.... YES IT'S THAT BAD!! OK so some might say you get what you pay for but is a window, oxygen and something edible for dinner too much to ask for? We left next morning and the staff couldn't have cared less and just a sarcastic "bye then" from the girl on reception. The staff match the quality of the hotel, absolutely disgraceful. If they put animals in those rooms the RSPCA would have them shut down in a flash. If you have some kind of weird fetish then hey this is the hotel for you if not take my advice BOOK ELSEWHERE!!

2 Thank Bay S

Fraserburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

my husband i were on an organised coach trip,our keys were handed out by a member of hotel staff on coach.on reaching our room we found a man lying on the bed in his underpants,he told us this had happened three times that day.on returning to reception and queuing for some time we got a room two floors down.it was ok,but the window was filthy, my husband stood on windowsill and poured three kettles full of water before we could see out .there was very little staff for the size of the hotel,and were ran ragged trying to sort out complaints.the dining room was dirty often the plates were dirty,the floor had not been vacumed all week(spillages on floor all week)tables were dirty staff had no time to spray wipe just flicked crumbs on floor.major gull problem, gulls screeched all day and most of the night got very little sleep.matrass very lumpy

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window
1 Thank Moira S