“Faulty Towers”

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
“Faulty Towers”
Reviewed June 22, 2008

Imagine if you will, I'm trying to organise a surprise weekend for my husbands birthday, and think of Scarborough as we've been a couple of times before and liked it. So I think - I won't book a B&B I'll book a hotel instead, so I end up booking the Grand for one night DBB for my husband, myself and our 5 year old. I ring up to confirm the booking a couple of days before and ask for a sea view room. I'm told there is a £10 supplement pp, per night for this, which I wasn't told when booking. We duly arrive at the hotel at about 2pm (normal check-in time, in my experience), to be told that rooms are not ready until after 4pm. It's pouring with rain so we trudge around for 2 hours 'til 4.00. I ask the receptionist what the procedure is for charging drinks etc to our room, "Oh no - you can't" she says and that was that. Then we eventually get to our room. It's the size of a shoe box, with barely 6" between the bed and the wall. It's scruffy - ripped curtains, bed with holes in the divan, threadbare carpet. The room has barely been cleaned, cobwebs in the corners and a pet spider. We have someone else's rubbish in the bathroom bin and the towel holder is missing. Well we think, it's only for one night. My husband then goes off to try and park the car outside the hotel and spends nearly 2 hours driving round and round, to no avail so ends up parking about half a mile away (not a happy bunny). Meanwhile my daughter and myself explore the hotel. Yes I know it's in the process of a multi million pound refurbishment program, but does that give them any excuse for not cleaning the place? It's filthy and so shabby everywhere, carpets held together with gaffer tape and ladies toilets that dried excrement up the walls - nice. We wandered into the empty and semi derelict ballroom, where there were a couple of flipcharts, I presume from some staff training day, reminding staff to be polite and cheerful and helpful. I presume most of them had been off that day. Unfortunately the hotel has also had a refit at some point in the 70's and this does it no favours either, it now resembles an 'institution' in places. We went down to dinner (beware the restaurant closes at 8pm sharp!) and found a table in the corner that had a filthy old tablecloth on it , after waiting ages I asked a waiter if we could organise some drinks, he looked at me with suspicion and asked, "what sort of drinks?", I say, "you know drinks." He says, "what alcoholic ones?" I reply, "erm, yes" - wondering if this was a trick question. "Oh you have to get them yourself from the bar at the entrance of the restaurant". So off I trot to the Restaurant bar and ask for 2 bottles of beer and a fruit juice. "Oh no, we don't serve beer here" I'm told, "But this is the bar isn't it?" I ask, "yes", he replies, "but we only sell wine here, if you want anything else you have to go up to the main bar and bring it down yourself." I can't be bothered and we get some water. The meal was unbelievably bad, greasy and tasteless lasagne, grey veg and soggy potatoes. We ended up eating cheese and biscuits. The waiters seemed to think that "Waiting" involved hovering over your shoulder and whipping your plate away as quickly as possible, regardless or not of whether you've finished. Then we went to the bar, which is situated in the main lobby area. I should mention that there is also a cocktail bar, but you have to buy your drinks at the lobby bar and take them over yourself. I bought a couple of drinks for us and ordered a juice for my daughter. "Do you want a glass with that?", asked the barman, "No a straw will be fine", I reply. to-which I get that same strange glassy eyed look as before, "Oh no we don't have straws here." We gave up pretty soon after that and went to bed. I've thrown away better beds than those, even my daughter kept asking me why it was so lumpy. We only had the joy of breakfast left before we could escape, and couldn't believe there were bowls strategically placed in the restaurant with a hand written note 'thank you for your tips!'. yeah right!
This is a big hotel, a once splendid and glamorous venue which would have provided a luxurious seaside base. This is not the case now. Please save your money and book a decent B&B instead, IT IS AWFUL!!!!

L.T.
Barnsley
22-23rd June 2008

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Furberry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,170)
  • Polish first
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2008

The Grand was once one of the finest hotels in the world. It is not any more, and really needs a massive overhaul and refit. However it is not as bad as some Tripadviser reviews suggest - as long as you go NOT expecting a "grand" hotel. The building itself is an amazing phenomena stuck up on the cliff and the focal point for the bay. Many of its original features are still there and in working order - ballroom, cabaret room, lounge, dining room overlooking the sea.

We stayed in a Premier room, and it was definitely worth the extra cost. Good sized room, sea view, reasonably clean, whirlpool bath, king-size bed, quiet - with seagulls nesting outside (but in a nice way)! Breakfast was fine - we didn't eat an evening meal, which looked less attractive. Some of the public areas (stairwells, for example) need a thorough clean. Only one person on reception while we were there is ridiculous given the size and busyness of the hotel.

Car parking is available on-street. By a display voucher from reception instead of feeding the meter - cost £4.50 for 24 hours.

If we were in Scarborough again we would be happy to stay at the The Grand (in a Premier room).

• Liked — Location and ambiance
  • Disliked — Needs about £4 million spending on it to restore it to its full glory
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed June 6, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from a five day stay at the Grand . This is our sixth consecutive holiday there . From the very first moment we walked in six years ago , we loved it . There is something warm and timeless about it . Almost as though you can feel the vibes of of people who have been happy there over many many years . Like everything in life , it is not totally perfect , but maybe that is part of its charm . The location is perfect and the views stunning . It has a wonderful free and easy atmosphere . Lots of space to sit and "chill"
The entertainment is second to none and aimed perhaps at the over 50s .

I have read many of the adverse reports and can't really understand why people feel badly about it . Not sure what people expect . If you want cutting edge modernity , don't go , but if you love tradition and a good relax in Victorian surroundings , you will love it . Go with an open mind ~ just enjoy .

We found the food very good indeed . As much as you want and good quality simple dishes . My only grumble would be the flasks of tea in the morning ~ Not that good , but easily overcome .
We did once have a poor unrenovated room , but when I asked , we were given a good one without question .
We will hopefully return there many times in the future .

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank clockmann
Blackpool
Reviewed June 3, 2008

I arrived at The Grand Hotel in Scarborough with great anticipation and looking forward to a bank holiday weekend there with my partner and his mum.

The Receptionist set the tone for the rest of our stay until we checked out early on Monday. The Receptionist treated me as an inconvenience to her conversation with her colleague and was condescending when directing me, very vaguely, to the rooms in which we were booked.

I returned to the reception desk on two occasions to be given very vague directions to the elevator which took us to our rooms. I am no halfwit but felt like one after dealing with the reception staff.

The dining room staff were even worse and finally we decided to leave the meal behind and go outside to have a lovely fish and chip supper on the Promenade.

I love Scarborough but this hotel is without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I have travelled much of the world. It was not so much the hotel but the staff in the hotel that ruined our trip.

Do not stay here.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BlackpoolNorm

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Derby
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Have seen pictures of the Grand and it looks a stunning Victorian hotel. However, the reviews and the stories of food poisoning outbreaks originally put me off booking. However, it soon became clear that ALL the hotels in Scarborough had bad reviews on Trip Advisor, so I took the plunge.

My young son and I booked a twin premier room, but upon arrival we were given a double bed with a tiny 14" portable TV. I went back up to reception (no phones in the rooms - which is odd!) and they changed it immediately for a larger room with a double window sea view. This room, although it was only 4 doors up the corridor seemed a lot cleaner and nicer and had a much bigger TV (which pleased my son!). There was also an excellent spa bath which I found very relaxing and a nice touch.

We were staying Half Board - the breakfast was amazing - hot and cold buffet style, everything was piping hot and very tasty. Evening meal was less exciting - choice of three main courses and gateau or ice cream for dessert. The restaurant was also very large and clean over looking the sea front.

All the staff were pleasant and helpful when required and the hotel itself was clearly very posh in it's hey day - the sweeping staircase in the foyer and the two ball rooms, with dress circle balcony are testament to this. They are painting and re-decorating sevaral areas, and we were made aware of this before we booked.

The clientele are almost exclusively OAP's, which I had no problem with, they were all very friendly and happy to chat with the young folks - much better in my opinion than a hotel being over run with chavs drinking the cheap Carling (1.50 a pint in happy hour), which is what I feared most before travelling. These old folks have clearly been coming to Scarboro for years, they play bingo every night in the Cabaret Ballroom and it was touching to see so man older couples dancing (proper ballroom dancing!).

My only real complaint was the parking - there is no hotel car park and the permits for the street outside are 4.50 a day. That's not the hotel's fault, parking is generally an issue in Scarborough. Next time I go, I will take a coach with the old folks (bless them all!)

• Liked — Stunning decor and amazing sea views
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Cleveland
Reviewed May 27, 2008

We have just returned from a three day stay at the Grand Hotel Scarborough. On booking the hotel was advised that our booking for six included one child and one blind/handicapped.
We arrived at the Grand at 12.30pm 23 May 08. We were given the keys to our room, no directions how to get there. The rooms were not ready until after 4.30pm
We went for evening dinner which was chicken in a sauce,or ham pieces the were in large containers on a hot plate one ladel with each tin which was passed from one person to the next. We had been told that there were children meals, we asked the girl who was collecting dishes she said she didnt think the chef would cook any more meals but she would ask, she came back with one sausage and chips. None of our party could eat the meals. The next day the meals were the same standard. Tea and Coffee was in temos jugs, which like the meals you had to collect from a table, Breakfast was in large containers floating in water/grease. On the last day there were two notices on each end of the hot plate asking for tips to be put in the basket, as we had never seen any waiter , this seemed to be the last insult

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
sheffield
Reviewed May 13, 2008

Stayed in the grand with friends. room was on minus 2 but it had been renovated, small but clean sky tv, coffee and tea. Only problem was no view from window obscured glass. staff friendly offered to carry our bags to rooms. Food nothing to complain about good value for money and plenty of it. Would not hesitate to book here again. Drinks no more expensive than local pub. there was evening entertainement this was average, but all in all had a great time. I can't understand why people complain. There was hand wash in the dining room for staff to use, but that meant you knew that the cleanliness was being kept up.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — no view in bedroom
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends