“National Trip”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here Sunday 23rd June,on arrival a short queue to sign in and collect the key,no smiles from reception just passed over the key and said room number,had to ask for directions to room. On arrival in room that was supposed to be a double there was a three quarter bed pushed against a double headboard! returned to reception and requested another twin room,no problems with this and were moved straight away to a spacious ground floor room. Evening meal was ok,average quality although the sweets were delicious,breakfast was fine as well even though I have read lots of bad reviews about the food. Bed linen was clean and there were spare pillows and blankets if required, the tvs were rubbish old things and cleanliness around the hotel could be better. Didn't have a good nights sleep though as they were hoovering the hallway after 10pm,seagulls were screaming at 4am and then the rubbish being pushed down the ramp next to our room woke us at 6am. Heard lots of bad stories about basement rooms so I would advise making sure you don't book one,on the whole a cheap hotel to stay for an odd night. One last mention about Matthew who was clearing tables after dinner,never seen anyone move as fast the guy deserves a payrise!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank elizabeth m
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. All your feedback has been passed to the relevant departments for improvements.

There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Scarborough

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed at the Scarborough Britannia Grand Hotel from a Friday to a Sunday on a lad’s weekend – despite all the reviews. The bottom line is if you want plush, modern, clean up to date surroundings, committed staff, professional management as well as top class cuisine, you do not book the Grand. However, for a cheap weekend for a group of lads who need only bed and breakfast, are fans of Faulty Towers, maybe worth a punt. I have stayed in worse hotels (many alot better though).
The hotel is in a good location and seems to attract coach tours and the more “mature guest”. The rooms we had were on the third floor (Well the room numbers started with a “3”) and all had sea views and were clean and tidy. The furniture was a little tired but items such as the bedding, carpet etc; were clean. There was even a kettle and tea/coffee making facilities. There was a TV (Old style not LCD) but it never got switched on. In the small bathroom, there was a shower over the bath and the bath itself was a “spa” bath. So it looks like over the years they have tried to bring the room’s up to date.
The meal/food catering on offer is very budget led, so if you want Michelin starred cuisine, it doesn’t happen here. We were on a bed and breakfast deal. Regarding breakfast, I can see where much of the criticism of this hotel may come from. At the weekend it was served from eight until ten. We went down to breakfast at around 9.00am both mornings (Used the stairs as the lifts took ages and held very few people) and joined a queue to get into the “dining room”. We waited up to fifteen minutes. Once you have given the bloke on the door your room number, he directs you to either side of the room and off you set on a seek and find mission – to find a table that had been cleaned, cleared and reset with cutlery, cups and napkins. Most of the seating is on tables side by side to create long tables across the middle. Everything is self service. The choices are limited. The cold choices include, rice krispies and cornflakes (Didn’t taste like branded types), porridge, fruit and yoghurt. The hot food was edible (But didn’t try the scrambled egg – if you go or have been you will know why!). Tea and coffee is also self serve. However, when it comes to toast, the hotel needs to invest in at least a couple more toasting machines. The machines are slow at the best of times but one machine for the amount of people in our side of the “dining room” was an insult.
Interestingly, in the bedroom there is a guide to Novovirus and what to do if you get it. I must admit, I am more used to finding TV guides in hotel bedrooms! The hotel has hand sanitizer machines scattered about the place – I am used to finding these in hospitals or on cruise ships. If they are trying to encourage cleanliness, it would help if they had the cream in them. I would urge the hotel management and directors of the Britannia hotel chain to spend an hour or two watching the few staff employed clearing up the tables and how they go about it. I am not from a hotel or catering background but even I can see that this area needs addressing with some urgency.
Just a few other points to note: Car parking appears to pop up on reviews of this hotel a lot. We had no problem as we did our research beforehand and found an underground car park at the bottom of the steps/pathway outside the hotel that lead down to the promenade (£6 for 24 hours). If you want a late night drink – find a place away from the hotel as the bar in the hotel shuts early. Take your key or key card out with you as security ask to see these as proof of residency to get back into the hotel after 11.00pm. Payment by credit card AND debit card attracts a service charge and in our case, we were asked to pay upfront for our accommodation rather than on check out. If you are a glutton for punishment, they had an “All you can eat” evening meal option at £10.95 per head and Sunday Lunch for TWO - Three Courses - £16 (Yep sixteen quid for two of you!) – We did not try these meal options.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room (Then at least you are not put into the dungeon rooms that do not have windows).
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 54JohnC55

Reviewed June 24, 2013

me and my girlfriend stayed at the grand hotel on sunday 23rd june 2013, our room was -2034 we couldn't find it, when we did, it had no window, DAMP, old telly, it was warm, we had fans but they were loud, a LOUD mechanical extractor runs continuously making it difficult to sleep, BAD NIGHT NO SLEEP, I had to go for a walk at one point to get a COLD drink for me and my girlfriend, we were was really upset about the room, I wanted to tell staff about how we felt, but we didn't want to make a fuss, and we are not that type to complain, we missed breakfast cause we were so tired, and still upset. we paid £25 for that room, not worth it. I was looking forward to staying in the hotel cause of the history of the building, the room left me upset and disappointed. check in was poor took forever. staff outside smoking more then the guests at one point.

5  Thank CARLht29

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. The room which you stayed in was one of our value rooms, these rooms are the newest additions to the hotel, offering good value for money, all of our value rooms contain air cooling with the addition of a fan for your comfort. To guarantee a room with a window it is advisable to upgrade to an executive room which have sea views.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed for one night bed and breakfast in June.

First impression of the hotel was grand but dated, however when we went down one floor the corridor to our room was dirty and in desperate need of redecoration. Our room however was quite surprising, as it was large and clean. It had an on suite Jacuzzi as well, which we didn’t use, but was a nice bonus. The window was really dirty and we had a terrible view of a wall and pigeon droppings.

The biggest disappointment was the breakfast. First of all there was a queue of around 30 people outside the breakfast room; however when we were allowed into the room it was half empty but tables hadn’t been cleared. There was no organisation what so ever. We were not shown to a table we were just told to go left. We then got to a table there was no waiter service, you just had to help yourself to everything. Including tea and coffee from a flask, which did not have any signs on them to say what was in them. The bacon was hard, the sausage was swimming in grease and the tomatoes looked like tinned tomatoes that had lots of black and brown bits on them, so I did not even bother to try them. The jam was in a bowl which anyone could have had their fingers in. The only good thing was the fruit, which was fresh and tasty. In fact I could honestly say it is the worst breakfast I have ever had and I have stayed in hundreds of hotels.

The best thing I could say about the hotel is that it is in a perfect location, just next to the beach and the town and it was cheap. I suppose you get what you pay for. Next time we go to Scarborough we will definitely not return to this hotel or its sister hotel the Royal, as they are both in need of serious refurbishment. Such a shame, because you can tell in their day they would have been spectacular.

1  Thank Pinkboatlady

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel in regards to your recent stay. I would like to apologise to you regarding the quality of your dinning experience, we are constantly reviewing our offering to bring the best value food and dinning experience.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

As the title states, a grand hotel indeed! Rooms are very basic, well the one we were in was, but it was functional and the bed was comfy and there were tea/coffee making facilities which is always a bonus. The Premier Room waiter, Duncan, was more than helpful, very cheerful and friendly and is an asset to the hotel!

Room Tip: We had a package deal which was bed, breakfast and dinner so the room we got, as I say, was basic bu...
5  Thank jtk1406

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I would wish a member of the Tripadvisor team to investigate personally the basement accommodation of this hotel. My husband and I are in the process of writing to Scarborough Trading Standards and the Environmental Dept of Scarborough Council. I would warn other guests from making the mistake we made. The management team of the Britannia Hotels company are responsible for allowing this second rate service to continue when they know people are unhappy. We are informing as many companies who use this hotel of the abyssmal state . If you wish to stay next to kitchens and subject yourself to dirty furniture,dirty crockery and cutlery, then that is your choice. Our holiday was spoilt for so many reasons to do with this hotel.

Room Tip: If you do wish to stay at "The Grand" after reading the poor reviews then I suggest you pa...
2  Thank Therese234

Dear Guest,

As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your experience. Our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay. Please do feel free to contact us direct.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Having stayed in a variety of budget accomodation before this including the Travelodge accross the road I was not expecting any frills. I did not expect however to be sleeping in a basement enclosure 3 floors below ground with no windows or natural ventilation. A loud mechanical extractor runs continously making it difficult to sleep.
There was a constant odour in the hallway outside my room. The drainage manholes were located there and you could hear the drainage flow while waiting for the lift.
On checking in my room had not been cleaned properly. I complained and asked for a move. This was rejected but was told someone would come along and clean the room later.
Breakfast is self service in a huge dining hall. Long queues and poor food.
I wish I had taken the time to read the reviews about this hotel before booking. I wont make the same mistake again. Dont expect any customer care once you have handed over your money at check in. You wont find a board with pictures of the managers and their job titles at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo