“Big and busy” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Big and busy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

As a solo traveller to my National Federation of Occupational Pensioners conference in the Spa Complex at Scarborough I needed, for the first time, to find accommodation for myself and found the Grand Hotel via the internet. The moderate charge for bed, breakfast & evening meal was fair and the reception staff put me ( as an older person ) in a twin room on the fourth floor as an upgrade at no extra charge. This hotel seems to have a lot of custom from coach parties and a higher than usual percentage of folk of mature years means pressure on the lifts. My meals were served buffet style in a huge dining room that overlooked the town and were of good value especially the soup which was excellent. Seating was comfortable & assistance with service of food for those unable to easily serve themselves was given in a friendly way. After dinner coffee/tea was self service in the lounge area and could have been better laid out. Though there are signs of the heavy traffic on the corridor carpets they were intact and reduced the noise of pedestrian traffic along them. I didn't take part in any of the entertainment having heard the word Bingo! Very pleasant to hear a pianist in the lounge, after dinner, playing old favourites. Very high winds when I was there so my courtyard facing room was sheltered but not from angry seagulls taking refuge there squarking for perching points. Reception staff knew their town and were most helpful. There is WiFi but never had the chance to use it as the password included numeric figures.

Room Tip: Though sea view rooms would seem to be a good idea I believe that the high winds might mean one of t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BAFPAPensioner
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,119)
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

In January, I booked a standard room via LateRooms.com for my wife and I to celebrate our wedding anniversary on the 4th April. We were both looking forward to staying in a hotel which appeared to offer such excellent views of the coastline. Our home is in Newcastle upon Tyne and prior to arriving at the hotel we had spent a couple of days in Northamptonshire visiting relatives. The journey back up the M1 was a nightmare due to the amount of traffic and we were both looking forward to relaxing in our room. However, upon arrival we were shocked to be told that the room we had been allocated was in the basement. The basement! When I enquired as to why, I was told that the hotel was fully booked "due to the kids being off". We went to view the room, which we considered to be in a poor decorative condition, and it was then we became aware that there are three floors below ground level. We were so disappointed with our booking that I went straight back to reception to inform the clerk that we would not be staying. The journey home, at night, was hazardous on an unfamiliar road but it was preferable to spending the night in a basement room in what is advertised as a "grand hotel". Upon later checking our key card slip we noticed our room number had been tippexed out and the number changed. Upon re-checking their site it does state (which I hadn't noticed at the time of making the booking) that some standard rooms are without windows but what they don't mention is that there are three floors below ground level. Never again.

Room Tip: Ensure it's not below ground level.
1 Thank Colin G
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. All your feedback has been passed to the relevant departments for improvements.

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We booked a room at this hotel after looking on the Britannia web site we don't live far from scarborough but have always wanted to stay at this hotel. From the outside the building looks very impressive and has a lot of history. On the inside it is all very disappointing the staff unhelpful the furniture should be put in a skip and the decoration very outdated. Our bedroom was very small and looked like it hadn't been decorated in a long time . The bed was very uncomfortable and you could feel the buttons on the mattress . Breakfast was Terrible we gave the staff our room number an were told to find a table. All the tables were either full or dirty we had to wait whilst staff cleared the dirty pots away and wipe the table. Breakfast was buffet style and was dry and very unappetising . We were very disappointed with the whole experience and will definitely not be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Wendy1807
Dear Guest,

As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your experience. Our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay. Please do feel free to contact us direct.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

We arrived at the grand Britannia hotel on the 8th April. Six of us were booked in, as soon as we came through the door the queue met us it was 16:30 and that was the start of our nightmare! They took our money without mentioning the fact that the heater was broken and there was no hot water ! The paintwork was peeled off the windows had gaps between the brickwork meaning the draft was just coming straight through, people had stuffed rolled up paper so as to try and stop this from happening, and this was in the bedrooms!! We complained several times but nothing was done and when I asked for a blanket and heater the staff replied "we do have other things around here to do you know" I offered to take it up myself but I was still refused. After 2 days a blanket arrived covered in crumbs and food and a heater that was so noisy I couldn't sleep anyway! Loads of other people at the hotel were queued up demanding their money back but with no success, a woman then walked in about to book a room so I tried to warn her not to stay because of the terrible situations, staff came over and told me if I said anything else they would escort me out of the premises! There was no help or consideration for handicapped guests. Most of the staff were appalling it really should be shut down, it's past being grand! We want our money back it has completely put us off going back to Scarborough ever again.

Room Tip: Don't go don't go don't go
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Bex K

Leeds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I booked two rooms. One twin with a cot and one double for my husband and I. On arrival I told the receptionist that I had booked a cot with the twin room as it was for my son, daughter and grandson, (6 month old). We were to have the double. She informed me that it hasn't been booked onto the system but she would put it on now. We went to the rooms and the supposed twin was a good size with room for a cot. Very very dated rooms. Nothing matched. Seemed more like a scruffy seaside b & b not a 'grand' hotel at all. Our soon was a double with a cot in it. It smelt if cigarette smoke. I went to reception as there are no phones in any of the rooms to inform them I wanted to change rooms.i also told her a cot was in the room but she said it had probably been left from the previous guest. She gave me a family room as that's all they had left. She said a cot would be put in the twin room for us. We went out for a walk and something to eat. When we returned our grandchild was tired and wanted to go to bed around 7.30. I went to the room. No cot. I went to reception and informed them. She told me that it was my fault for changing my room! Damn cheek considering the cot wasn't supposed to be in my room anyway. She said I had to wait half an hour till the porters started. I told her I wanted it tone their first job as my grandson needed to go to bed. After over half an hour I went back to check. There was a cot but it wasn't set up! I went to reception again and said I wasn't happy that it hasn't been set up. She said she'd get into it. The porter arrived to set it up but it was broken. He had to change it. I asked for bedding and he said they don't provide any. So j said the least I expect us a sheet for the cot. He gave me a single bed sheet! He set it up but there wasn't a base to it. I said you couldn't expect a baby to sleep on such a thing, it turned out that the mattress was actually provided but he just didn't know how to set it up. Although I requested a tv with subtitles the tv's were ancient and there was no batteries in the remote. We also managed to leave a very expensive jacket by mistake and spent two days fretting over it as no one seemed to know if it had been 'found ' even though it was not list. Just left in the wardrobe. The English staff's attitude seemed more sympathetic than the other staff. Could just be a cultural thing but a bit of customer service training wouldn't go amiss nor would a complete refurb as the rooms were extremely shabby.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank bulldog52

stoke
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Dirty, dated, unfriendly, stay away!
We stayed here after a lovely night in York and what a let down. Will not go back ever!!
Only good thing was its closeness to town and the bars. You needed a drink to stay here!

Great Grimsby, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just come back from a 2 night stay lovely big old style hotel but needs a big (and I mean big) revamp. We were in a basic room with no windows but it was clean and had hot water and heating,breakfast was included which was ok. It was also the 1st time we have taken our dog and he was able to go every were in the hotel except were food was being served (as it should be), so the £10 a day extra charge was ok for us.
Duty manager was not a very helpfull but all the other staff were very pleasent but were kept busy. We have taken advantage of the 15% discount if you book again before you leave, to go again with some other family members so will see how a 2nd visit goes. So realy for what we paid it was ok.

Room Tip: if you choose room with no windows dont suffer with closterphobia
3 Thank lizuk7
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.