“Disappointing”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We booked a room at this hotel after looking on the Britannia web site we don't live far from scarborough but have always wanted to stay at this hotel. From the outside the building looks very impressive and has a lot of history. On the inside it is all very disappointing the staff unhelpful the furniture should be put in a skip and the decoration very outdated. Our bedroom was very small and looked like it hadn't been decorated in a long time . The bed was very uncomfortable and you could feel the buttons on the mattress . Breakfast was Terrible we gave the staff our room number an were told to find a table. All the tables were either full or dirty we had to wait whilst staff cleared the dirty pots away and wipe the table. Breakfast was buffet style and was dry and very unappetising . We were very disappointed with the whole experience and will definitely not be staying there again.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Wendy1807
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your experience. Our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay. Please do feel free to contact us direct.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We arrived at the grand Britannia hotel on the 8th April. Six of us were booked in, as soon as we came through the door the queue met us it was 16:30 and that was the start of our nightmare! They took our money without mentioning the fact that the heater was broken and there was no hot water ! The paintwork was peeled off the windows had gaps between the brickwork meaning the draft was just coming straight through, people had stuffed rolled up paper so as to try and stop this from happening, and this was in the bedrooms!! We complained several times but nothing was done and when I asked for a blanket and heater the staff replied "we do have other things around here to do you know" I offered to take it up myself but I was still refused. After 2 days a blanket arrived covered in crumbs and food and a heater that was so noisy I couldn't sleep anyway! Loads of other people at the hotel were queued up demanding their money back but with no success, a woman then walked in about to book a room so I tried to warn her not to stay because of the terrible situations, staff came over and told me if I said anything else they would escort me out of the premises! There was no help or consideration for handicapped guests. Most of the staff were appalling it really should be shut down, it's past being grand! We want our money back it has completely put us off going back to Scarborough ever again.

Room Tip: Don't go don't go don't go
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Bex K

Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I booked two rooms. One twin with a cot and one double for my husband and I. On arrival I told the receptionist that I had booked a cot with the twin room as it was for my son, daughter and grandson, (6 month old). We were to have the double. She informed me that it hasn't been booked onto the system but she would put it on now. We went to the rooms and the supposed twin was a good size with room for a cot. Very very dated rooms. Nothing matched. Seemed more like a scruffy seaside b & b not a 'grand' hotel at all. Our soon was a double with a cot in it. It smelt if cigarette smoke. I went to reception as there are no phones in any of the rooms to inform them I wanted to change rooms.i also told her a cot was in the room but she said it had probably been left from the previous guest. She gave me a family room as that's all they had left. She said a cot would be put in the twin room for us. We went out for a walk and something to eat. When we returned our grandchild was tired and wanted to go to bed around 7.30. I went to the room. No cot. I went to reception and informed them. She told me that it was my fault for changing my room! Damn cheek considering the cot wasn't supposed to be in my room anyway. She said I had to wait half an hour till the porters started. I told her I wanted it tone their first job as my grandson needed to go to bed. After over half an hour I went back to check. There was a cot but it wasn't set up! I went to reception again and said I wasn't happy that it hasn't been set up. She said she'd get into it. The porter arrived to set it up but it was broken. He had to change it. I asked for bedding and he said they don't provide any. So j said the least I expect us a sheet for the cot. He gave me a single bed sheet! He set it up but there wasn't a base to it. I said you couldn't expect a baby to sleep on such a thing, it turned out that the mattress was actually provided but he just didn't know how to set it up. Although I requested a tv with subtitles the tv's were ancient and there was no batteries in the remote. We also managed to leave a very expensive jacket by mistake and spent two days fretting over it as no one seemed to know if it had been 'found ' even though it was not list. Just left in the wardrobe. The English staff's attitude seemed more sympathetic than the other staff. Could just be a cultural thing but a bit of customer service training wouldn't go amiss nor would a complete refurb as the rooms were extremely shabby.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank bulldog52

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Dirty, dated, unfriendly, stay away!
We stayed here after a lovely night in York and what a let down. Will not go back ever!!
Only good thing was its closeness to town and the bars. You needed a drink to stay here!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just come back from a 2 night stay lovely big old style hotel but needs a big (and I mean big) revamp. We were in a basic room with no windows but it was clean and had hot water and heating,breakfast was included which was ok. It was also the 1st time we have taken our dog and he was able to go every were in the hotel except were food was being served (as it should be), so the £10 a day extra charge was ok for us.
Duty manager was not a very helpfull but all the other staff were very pleasent but were kept busy. We have taken advantage of the 15% discount if you book again before you leave, to go again with some other family members so will see how a 2nd visit goes. So realy for what we paid it was ok.

Room Tip: if you choose room with no windows dont suffer with closterphobia
3  Thank lizuk7

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had read the tripadvisor reviews but having seen the hotel dominating the skyline of Scarborough and found we could book one of the four "turret" rooms, we wanted to stay. So we had no illusions that the hotel would have retained it's original grandeur. But we did enjoy our two night stay and it fulfilled most of our expectations. We could still see the impressive lobby, staircase, Palm Court and so on which must have been splendid in their day. Our room in the turret had a 360 degree panorama through the porthole windows, with two bedrooms and a jack and a big jill bathroom. The room was fun, more than enough space for the two of us (ideal for a family of four) and we slept well. The wind howled around the turret, which added to the atmosphere. What did not was the fact that the bathroom had no heating and poor water pressure for the shower. And the hotel heating could not make it up to our turret so we had to use electric heaters already in the room.
Our deal included the buffet breakfast and dinner, sadly in the dining room which did not have sea views. The once-splendid dining room overlooking the sea has restricted opening hours.
Dinner was plentiful with pleasant cold starter choices and OK mains. Service on the first night was reluctant, on the second very good. The cooked breakfast was quite good and left no need for lunch.
The other guests were friendly and chatty and the hotel allos dogs which added interest. There is a nightly cabaret which got poor reviews from those who went, and bingo, which was popular. The bars were quite cheap and busy and there was an enjoyable social atmosphere.
Wifi in the bars and lobby was free; parking on nearby streets was a problem on our first night and we had to pay to park in the shopping centre, quite expensive.
The hotel does not really go in for service, especially at reception. Complaints were not taken up and the manager appeared to be absent when problems arose for our fellow guests. I would avoid the hotel in the winter as they seem to have unresolved problems with the heating.
But accepting these limitations, we enjoyed the experience and recommend it as a place to stay. These big 19th century hotels deserve to be preserved and visited.

1  Thank BarrieLV

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. All your feedback has been passed to the relevant departments for improvements.

Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

update on my stay 11th to 15th feb. my parents had money taken from their room. got in touch with head office and coach company told would hear back within 28 days, guess what still waiting. will be going back to scarborough but not to this hotel

• Stayed: February 2013