“Coach tour Enthusiast”

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Coach tour Enthusiast”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Hotel was definately not Grand !!!!!
Our room was infested with insects , the windows were mouldy and sills also covered in dead flies as was the bathroom. We complained straight away to reception and told to come back in the morning and were the offered us a room in the basement with no windows.
Will definately go back to scarborough but will never stay in this hotel.

1 Thank Sirroy_13
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your experience. Our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay. Please do feel free to contact us direct.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,191)
  • Polish first
northumberland
Reviewed March 15, 2013

stayed at this hotel 8th and 9th march.food was terrible. not was it nearly all cold but on the sunday morning all the sausages in the tray were raw....disgusting.....told the waitress to inform the cook she just shrugged her shoulders and walked off. the price of drinks is unbelievable £8 odd for a bottle of bud and a brandy.(second mortgage required) rooms are all run down as well. could do with a good cleaning. my opinion..........BOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE....

1 Thank john d
Dear Guest,

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I used to live in Scarborough, a few years back, and even though I remember there once being a food poisoning or sickness bug outbreak in the Grand hotel - I still believe it is the place to stay for nostalgia reasons if you are on a budget. I just decided to go B&B just in case! I love this hotel in terms of the decor, the location and how it feels so olde worldy! You can still see how posh it must have been a zillion years ago and it is a lovely seaside retreat. The entertainment and bingo were good as well in the old fashioned theatre. The fact me and my partner paid under £70 for the Friday and Saturday night for a Standard room for B&B meant that I actually still thought it was good value. PLEASE BE AWARE when booking a room that if you book an 'internal', 'club' or 'saver' room then this is an internal room and is not guaranteed windows. I thought this was important which is why I spent £20 more for a standard room which is on the edge of the building. The downsides? Our first room we were given had hair all over the bed and the bed was creased. I went straight down to reception who changed it; and checked our next bedroom before we got the keys. So first tip - go check rooms before hauling luggage and don't be afraid to change rooms if you get one you don't want. All the standard rooms were smallish too. Our second room was clean so it really must be hit and miss. It was a bit cold but on the second night we found how to work the heater and then it was fine other than the bathroom! But Scarborough is freezing in the winter regardless! Bed was comfy. Windows a bit smogged from the age of the hotel and proably lack of ritual cleaning. The only thing I really didn't like was one rude bar waitress but then I should have complained at the time. The other staff were nice and helpful but I don't think they are overly passionate about the hotel. It is such a shame because this hotel could really be magnificent if Britannia put some money into it. Just know what you are buying and be ready to change rooms if your first isn't up to scratch.

Room Tip: Be aware when booking an 'internal', 'saver' or 'club' room that these are n...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Consett, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the 2nd part of our night in Scarborough.
We went to the Clifton , but after 2 awful rooms, poor dinner and totally unexceptable staff, poor service and attitude we asked to be moved to the Grand.
We were warmly welcomed by the staff at book-in. He asked if we wanted to look at room before.
This room was total fine with us.
It was clean, well looked after and a good size bathroom, hubby has movement probs so I need to be in the room with him.
As the move from the other hotel was late in the evening we went straight to bed.
This was very comfy and clean.
Well during the early hours I thought I would have a nice hot bubble bath, but due to this being a spa bath the electric did not work. It did say if not working do not use.
Long story short we were given another room at 7 am so I could bathe.
The breakfast here is so nice, except the sausage on the morning we stayed, well my dogs would have refused them

The beauty of this hotel is the staff, they are so happy and they know how to offer service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. All your feedback has been passed to the relevant departments for improvements.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Urrrggg this hotel is vile I have photo proof of the damp and dirt in the room, yes it was cheap but why can't the room just be basic? Basic and dirty are two very different things! I've also emailed them the photos and I'm waiting on a response

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Beckiboo2011
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had to book straight back out of this hotel after they refused to move me to a clean room.
I took pictures of wet fungus hanging from the ceiling, where there wasn't holes in it. The corridor and room stank of sewage and there wasn't even a window in the room so you couldn't air it. It made me feel sick, the duty managers lack of concern was disgusting.
Went to the travel lodge over the road, much better service and clean!

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank Thetilb
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed on the second floor facing sea , someone had already stuffed newspaper in single glazed window frames. One blanket over duvet did not suffice. Single bed was right up against the one radiator,in a large room with high ceiling. I even thought about sleeping in corridor,which was slightly warmer! Lots of people were complaining about the cold, some managed to get a heater from recption staff. We were too late ,they had all gone, and fellow on reception wasn't really bothered. If you go ,take some masking tape for windows (someone did ) and a fur coat!!

Room Tip: There were some rooms below ground,without windows ,which I believe were warm !!!
4 Thank ChrissyRob733