“Great”

Ranked #43 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Doncaster
“Great”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Had a very lovely weekend away here. Very clean and lovely owners.Will definitely be visiting again soon.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend a sea view room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank frankie L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Barnsley
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I stayed at the Derwent House Hotel January 2012, and had a fantastic new years break. The owners were lovely and went out of their way to accommodate my needs. I am looking forward to returning next month and would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank Angela S
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I have never been treated and spoken to in my life how these people treat there customers it was horrible it spoilt my new years break all I asked for was a heater cos the room was cold got heater 12 hours later along with her drunken husband shouting insults at me in end had to leave was scared of him it's just been a horrible experience I have my own company I would never treat my customers this way I would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank ladytracy
ScarboroughJimmy, Owner at Derwent House Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
As the owner of Derwent House i would like to say that I have never been spoken to by a guest in such a disgusting and derogatary manner. When these guests arrived they were obviously heavily under the influence of alcohol but as it was New years eve, having a drink is expected.
Within an hour of the guests arriving I had, had numerous complaints from other residents about the noise from their room. I myself went up and asked them to keep the noise down and this seemed to calm the situation.
The following morning the gentleman from the party came and requested some extra coffee, I obliged and he claimed to myself and another passing guest how rough he was , in his own words "I'm absolutely hammered". The guests came for breakfast and nothing else was said.It was never mentioned that they would like another heater and had it been I would of happily provided them with one.
At 6pm on the second night I had more guests complain about the noise from the room and the strong smell of cigarette smoke. I went to ask the guests to leave the hotel as we a totally NON SMOKING establishment and this contravenes our policies. The gentleman in question told me they were not leaving and started to hurl abuse at myself, warning me that he had been in the "paras" for 3 years to be carefull! I said that i was going to call the police and they started to pack their bags.
They refused to pay the second nights payment and had taken numerous items from our honesy bar with out paying. My partner (who had definately not been drinking) came upstairs to calm the situation but was also subjected to a barrage of abuse from both guests.
Even as these guests left they were shouting appaling profanitys at myself and my parter and our 4 young children. No person should have to be subjected to behaviour like this.
Obviously both guests had been drinking heavily that day and were not coherant enough to understand that their behaviour was totally unacceptable.
We are very sorry that this may have upset other guests stay and apologise to them for any disturbance they may have encountered through no fault of our own.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I had just bought a car locally and to save a 12 hour round trip, myself, my wife and best friends decided on a short road trip. It was last minute overnight stay, so we book based on price and I have to say, I was uncertain of what to expect. I couldn’t have been more happy. Very friendly, very clean, great rooms and great Breakfast.

Great idea with the Honesty Bar with nice louge. Only thing if I really tried to knock, would be the "Strength" of the shower. Maybe an upgrade could be installed :-)

But 99%, just how all B & B's Should be, you will not be disappointed. Not that I will be passing for a while, but I would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
27 Thank James C
bradford
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Stayed at this hotel 27.11.11 with my wife last night ,arrived late as expected ,was greeted with a warm welcome ,our room was functional but in need of up dating.
Nothing great to write home about ,bed was uncomfortable ,and electric shower either boiling hot or freezing cold ,breakfast was full English ,but lacked taste, a lot more could be done to improve peoples stay here .

Room Tip: ask for a sea view room on booking
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed for a family holiday in August. We had a room at the back of the hotel and it had everything we could need, even an ipod dock for the daughter! We were welcomed warmly and the rest of the stay was just as good. The breakfast was hearty and filling even for a fussy teenager. The room was cleaned daily. Internet access is throughout the hotel so the daughter could keep in touch with her friends. It was great from start to finish and we would reccommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank Stewpot11
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We went to Derwent for 5 days.On a arrival we was greeted by the owner and was asked if we wanted a full English.I would have preferred to order the morning of breakfast as I never know what I want but I received a full English,half of what I don't eat so I was able to re order for the rest of the week.They have a great Honesty bar.You buy drinks or food,fill out a form and pay for it then by posting an envelope in a box or you have it put on your bill.This is a great idea and items are a pound or 50p.
We got a room not seafront and one I did not see on the web site or leaflet.The other rooms looked much nicer,we got room one.It was crowded due to a single bed put in the room,if that came out there would be room for table,chairs or wardrobe.My partner hit his leg so many times on the single bed that he was bruised.
Our double bed was lumpy,tired and so was the pillows.The bedding was old too.We didn't sleep all night and had to have afternoon naps.
There was one day we left the towels in the shower tray as instructed to be changed but the cleaner folded them up and put them back on the bed.There was no tea left or milk either.
We had no chat with the owner all week and hardly saw her.She seemed very disconnected and just doing her job.This place is in a great location and with some updates and minor tweeking of hosting skills and room planning this should be a higher star rating.

Room Tip: Phone and ask for a sea view if you want one as they are the better rooms.There's several floors...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bunnygirl75
ScarboroughJimmy, Owner at Derwent House Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
As the owner of Derwent House I would like to thank you for your review, and your 4 out of 5 rating ( very good).
We are a 3 star guest house and have just been rated by visit britain as a very high standard 3 star. The hotel inspector actually stayed whilst these guests stayed. She found everything to be of a high standard.
These guests booked online through our own website and every room is quite clearly visible on there. Sea view rooms do come at a premium and obviously inccur a larger cost. These guests could have booked a sea view room at the time of booking but choose to book a cheaper room option. Therefore they did actually get what they chose. The room is available as a double, twin or family room so hence the single bed is in their as well as a double. As you can see from the photos that the guest has uploaded the room allready has a double and a single wardrobe ( either side of the bed) so i am not sure why removing the single bed would be needed to accomodate an extra wardrobe. We also have a tub chair beside the single bed to provide a seating area!
I am sorry that you lost out on night time sleep but obviously managed to find comfort during the day and catch up on some sleep. I can assure you that all our pillows are fogarty pillows and the mattress is a silent night mattress and all these were replaced in March 2011.
We clean rooms daily and tea and coffee is replenished every morning. Should you require further these are available free of charge from the Honesty bar that is located on the stairs. As these guests have allready made a comment about the honesty bar, they must be aware of this.
Obviously we are running a very busy guest house and some times i may not be seen but i can assure you that i am always around and make every effort to converse with the guests when ever i can. This is the first time that some one has said that i am very disconnected from my guests. All my other guests seem to say that i am appraochable and friendly at all times and this can be seen from other reviews.

We do hope that you enjoyed your stay and will be visiting Scarborough again.

I would like to point out that the review that is submitted on the same day as yours also stayed in room 1 and seem to have had a fantastic time and really enjoyed the room and stay with us.