“Happy Happy Memories”

The Scarborough Fair Collection
Ranked #3 of 86 things to do in Scarborough
More attraction details
Owner description: The Scarborough Fair Collection hosts a magnificent working collection of Vintage Cars, Steam Engines, Vintage Fairground Rides and Mechanical Organs topped off with a 2 'Mighty' Wurlitzer Organs in our spacious ballroom. We host tea dances every Wednesday afternoon and Michael Lester playing the "Mighty" Wurlitzer every Thursday afternoon.Our unique venue is also available for private hire and wedding receptions. We have special events throughout the year and a Christmas Spectacular Show
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Happy Happy Memories”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Took the wife and kids today. It's a small place but it has some fantastic exhibits. The staff are very friendly and we were made to feel very welcome. We tried all the rides and had a fantastic time. It reminded me of my distant childhood. Who needs multiplayer online gaming when you can ride some traditional fairground rides and see some marvelous vintage vehicles. Would love to have sat in some of the cars but this was not allowed (quite understandably given the age of the vehicles)

Visited August 2012

Doncaster, United Kingdom
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“All the fun of the fair”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Visiting this attraction took me back to my early childhood when fairgrounds had a different feel to those of today, when the music was played by mechanical organs that read punched cards; power was generated by "Showman Class" traction engines.

The exhibition also includes classic bikes and cars and, on some days, you can hear the mighty Wurlitzer being played.

The entry fee includes a go on a fairground ride of your choice (you can pay for other rides if you choose).

1 Thank PMLaycock
leeds
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fabulous collection - MUST see”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Just 5 miles out of Scarborough at the Flower of May holiday park this is an absolute gem of a 'museum'. Fairground organs, if you are lucky you might get to hear the 'Wurlitzer' being played as we did, rides, cars, motorbikes - just fab. Highlight - the showman's wagon!

Southampton, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Worth seeing”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Being on holiday in Leeds I thought I would drive over to the Fair Collection. It was 60 miles give or take but since I love this sort of stuff I felt it worth the drive. Perhaps it is a modest collection, but it's a good one. There's clearly a passion here, particularly with the organs - and not just the Wurlitzer but the fairground organs driven by the zig-zag paper method. It's all indoors but I was still staggered as to how loud these things are. To build one from new must have been something, to restore them - well my imagination gave up. It can only be passion and dedication and it shows.

There's also some pretty amazing models too, presumably working, of traction/showman's engines and a thresher from the 30s. Like I say, there's some dedication and passion here and despite the appearances of the photos, it shows.

There's no other way to house the collection but indoors, and the surroundings are maybe 'clinical', however, housing motorcycles and cars as well as tractors, traction and showman's engines (the showman's caravan is amazing) I was glad I went. That said, if I had to be brutally honest, it was, for me, on the edge of an acceptable distance to travel. Had this been over the 60-70 miles I would have been left wondering about the trip vs. collection. Nonetheless, if you like this sort of thing, it's worth seeing and quite good value.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“holiday”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

brilliant place to visit lots of rides for the chiidren i went on the horses i really enjoyed it a nice place to sit and while away a few hours nice cafe aswell food was very nice