“Mediocre pub food”

Ranked #151 of 365 Restaurants in Scarborough
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Only recently opened
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Typical plastic food from a pub chain. Not particularly well cooked or presented. Ok if your tired and you want a quick cheap meal but don't expect to much. The tables were a bit on the dirty side, staff were not quick to clear tables.

1  Thank Martin_Barbara
There are newer reviews for Brewers Fayre

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We visited The Carousel twice during our holiday to Scarborough. On our first visit everything started fine. Three of us had the chicken buffet, while my daughter ordered steak and my youngest had his usual chicken nuggets. I ordered the kid's meal at the beginning with the pudding put on hold. After we'd finished our main course, which was delicious, I returned to the bar and ordered desserts for the rest of us, with the kid's meal pudding to now be un-held. Then we waited. And we waited. And we waited. After twenty minutes I called a waitress over and asked her to investigate. She went out to the kitchen, came back and mumbled something about things on hold. I explained about the kid's pudding and she nodded and disappeared. Then we waited another twenty minutes, with my five year old now screaming for his ice cream. Finally my husband went to the bar to complain, and at last our desserts came. I commented again (loudly) about the length of delay, and the manager came over. To their credit, they investigated what had happened - apparently the barman had put our puddings on hold accidently instead of un-holding the kid's pudding. They were very apologetic and refunded the cost of all the puddings, and the barman himself came and apologised in person, so I do forgive them.
We therefore went back again and had a lovely chip shop buffet meal on a Friday, though I didn't risk ordering the kid's pudding at the start and just let the "has to be ordered with main course to get the discount" offer go as I couldn't cope with a repeat debacle.
I would recommend them to others, but can't in all honesty rate them higher than a three because of our own experience - let's just hope it was one of those fluke one-offs.

1  Thank Janet M
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We regularly pass The Carousel and until Saturday have never had the opportunity to try it.

Overall a pleasant experience in a welcoming atmosphere, ideal for a meal as a couple or with friends/family. Good value food and the buffet evenings are quite broad. Each day tends to offer a different choice but we visited when the Chicken buffet was being served. The food was nice, as was the salad bar. There is a full menu available should you not fancy the buffet.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

nice food, good prices. very busy so book a table!!! Free wi-fi and its a good connection too. Friendly staff who work very hard.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was our third visit to this Brewers Fayre.

We had previously visited on a Friday evening to take advantage of their "Chip Shop Buffet" night. The last time being some 20 months ago.

We arrived at 5pm (just as the buffet service started). There was a sign saying "Wait to be seated".

We waited, and we waited. Staff were wandering around - however we had to wait for the manager (we presume) to come in from talking to her boyfriend in the car outside.

The restaurant was quiet when we arrived and we chose our table and paid for two Chip Shop Buffets.

Even though the ambiance was nice there was just something about the food this time that didn't do "it" for us. The chicken was tough and overcooked and the food seemed "tired" even though service had just started.

The waiting staff were pleasant and attentive.

All in all, as the title suggests - we were disappointed and would probably not return for this particular theme night.