“Great food and lovely, warm and friendly staff”

The Blacksmiths Arms Inn
Ranked #112 of 358 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great food and lovely, warm and friendly staff”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Me and six of my family came here for a special occasion. When I rang up to make the reservation I was met with the voice of a lovely, friendly chap who couldn't have been more polite.
When we got to the restaurant we were asked if we would like to be seated or chill in the bar. We chose seated (as I had my elderly grandmother who doesn't like to wait) and we were taken to the table immediately.

We only ordered mains but my goodness I am so glad we did. They were huge!! I'd say the price is just above average for pub food - however you do get a lot - so perhaps the price is a perfect reflection. I had the duck and it must have been at least half a duck. The sauce was absolutely divine and the meat so tender it glided off the bone. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I have been before and the food has certainly improved; the waitress told us they have a new chef.

As for the staff, a young pretty girl with very long blonde/brown hair was so very friendly. When she took our orders she was so helpful. She answered all of our questions and explained in detail what the specials were. She kept coming back to check our meal was okay and even brought us extra vegetables. She couldn't do enough for us.

The food was piping hot and really tasty and my fathers steak was seasoned to perfection. The only criticism I have is that the vegetables that accompanied the meals were a little boring, as if they had just been steamed. I feel that this is the only tiny criticism I have and I really cannot understand the review titled 'worst fish ever.'

Great place and highly recommended. No wonder the Queen visited!!

• Visited April 2013

South Milford, United Kingdom
“Worst Fish ever”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I visited Scarborough on Wednesday and called into this restaurant for lunch. At lunch you have to have your meal in the bar area. We both had the local haddock and chips.
When this finally arrived the batter was anemic soggy and very greasy - this was the worst fish and chips we have ever had anywhere. The chips tasted as if they were frozen and the same was for the peas. A very unpleasant experience. There was two other couples who were obviously locals as they were having the small meat pies - they obviously were aware not to have the fish.

• Visited April 2013
“Excellent food and excellent service!!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I went to the blacksmiths on valentines day having seen special menu they were putting on for the occasion. I had a starter of scallops and blackpudding with a beurre blanc sauce which was outstanding! The scallops were cooked too perfection. My husband had the potted ham hock and apricot chutney which was equally as tastey. We then both opted for the steak and wild mushroom reduction, which was accompanied by fondant potatoes. The steaks were outstanding!! And couldn't recommend them any more. The dessert was a trio of homemade espresso ice cream, chocolate brownie and a white chocolate panna cotta to die for. The service was brilliant and we thoroughly enjoyed our trip to the blacksmiths. Well worth a look!!

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“welcoming, great staff”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

traditional food, with very friendly attentive staff who told us about the queens visit and spared time to tell us.Very good quality food, all home cooked and traditional meals with more seasonal selections on the specials board. Throughly enjoyed, a nice place to bring anyone. I enjoyed the baked goats cheese with an onion chutney, followed by seabass with lemon oil and tiramisu to follow. Delightful. definitely coming back.

Visited January 2013
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“The Queen had lunch here”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Our visit was pleasant and the meal was OK but not as high a standard as I expected, particularly when the Queen dined here after opening the Open Air theatre

Visited December 2012