“Don't be put off by first impressions - the food is fantastic”
Review of Rice & Spice

Rice & Spice
Ranked #24 of 358 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Don't be put off by first impressions - the food is fantastic”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

If we hadn't read the good reviews on Tripadvisor we would have given this restaurant a miss - and what a mistake that would have been. From the outside it looks a bit tatty & rundown but following a visit to the theatre we were hungry so decided to give it a try. The waiter made us really welcome & inside the restaurant is really cosy. There was lots of choice on the menu & I decided on the fish curry which was absolutely gorgeous - everything tasted really fresh & when we spoke to the chef she told us that she doesn't use ghee which makes the dishes really light. Cost for 2 main dishes, 2 sides & a delicious bottle of rose wine was just under £35 - a real bargain and one of the best curries I have ever tasted. We were last out of the restaurant but weren't rushed at all & the chef came out for a chat with us. Really lovely people and fantastic food - well worth a visit & I can't wait to go back!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank TraceyH50

North East England
“Authentic & Delicious!”
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

What a find! Curry Leaf is a stunning little restaurant we recommend to all real curry connoisseurs! Not a flash setting but great service, authentic flavours and exquisite spices. I had a chilli king prawn dish which was fresh, hot and devilishly delicious and my husband had a lamb Sri Lanka which was rich, tender and intensely flavoured. Without doubt the best curry we have tasted in the U.K. No turgid stockpots of sloppy sauce and standardised identikit menu here but fresh herbs, spices fizzing with heat and complexity. No exaggeration necessary, a real gem of restaurant. Ignore any negative reviews and go there, taste for yourself!

1 Thank Venus67
Scarborough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not so good.”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

My parents and I went to The Curry Leaf to celibrate my Mother's birthday and all I can is that the food wasn't too good. The service, however, was great! Our waiter was very helpful on what to order and explaining the dishes to us. I ordered the chicken tandoori, to which I was presented with a lamb dish. Upon telling our waiter, he aplogised to me, to which I said it was fine and ate the dish anyway. Then I ordered the hot chocolate fudge cake, it was chocolatey, but not hot or in anyway held fudge. I asked one of the female waiters if I had gotten the correct dessert, she went away and avoided eye contact for the rest of our stay.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ellie B
Scarborough, UK
“An Oasis”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

On the whole, curry restaurants in Scarborough are pretty average, but The Curry Leaf would compare favourably with the best London, Birmingham, Glasgow and Bradford have to offer. I have to confess that I have only tried the vegetarian thali, but at around £10.00, this has to represent one of the best deals going. A beautifully cooked selection of more than half a dozen dishes, in more than adequate portions. Friendly, courteous staff and a very pleasant ambience. Only criticism: Staff should be more aware of special offers. Other than that, heartily recommended.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank ThreeWiseNinjas
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Thali was superb as was the rest of the meal would definitely eat here again. The owner even gave us instructions on how to eat the dishes in an authentic manner - Brilliant !!

• Visited April 2014