“Another World”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Visiting The Curry Leaf is a never ending story - filled with wonderful thoughts and memories of a charming and warm atmosphere, a lovely team and delicious Indian food; flavours and spices from another world which stay with you for eternity.
However, my memory needs refreshing - so do my taste buds...will return soon!

There are newer reviews for Rice & Spice

Reviewed May 19, 2013

So many writers used to document experience by way of the five senses, an idea I have learnt recently to obsolete. We experience sensations in numbers greater than five but for the purposes of this review I will bracket my documentation, like they did, with only the common denominators:

SIGHT - The Curry Leaf adventure begins at the discovery of a tiny entrance sat on by a presence of generic Scarborough buildings. Shops, flats, storage. At the foot is The Curry Leaf exterior: yellow and green lit up by tungsten light. Inside however is a universe of colour, magic and visual charm. Enhanced by wonderful waiters, delightful cooks and my vivacious friend on the otherside of the table.

SOUND - Joy and relax are the words that enter my head upon listening to the soundtrack of The Curry Leaf. Tabla drones and sitar moans occupy the music, and alongside the friendly voices of everyone there, equates to a pleasing sonic experience. The hum of the busy restaurant does put down this experiences but rather enlightens with lively atmosphere.

TOUCH - the chapati, popadoms, and special bread (whose name escapes me) makes you want to eat with yours hands forever; soothing and soft are these, with cutlery and tables equally so. Eating with these luscious breads is a massage for the tongue and mouth.

SMELL -"'Smells delicious, 'nuff' said," is what I said upon taking my first whiff of The Curry Leaf aroma. This smell enters your body from opening the door and stays for the duration of your visit. It's memorable and unique. I feel, no doubt, that there is a process of superiority when people compare restaurants to this: we shall say "Smells like The Curry Leaf" and nothing else.

TASTE - ...

...Indescribable.

2  Thank T E
Reviewed May 17, 2013

As far as Asian restaurants are in Scarborough this is the best for taste value for money service and general ambience. During busy times it may take a while to get your food but this is because it is fresh

1  Thank DaveandVal_13
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We went here tonight on the reviews of trip advisor. The welcome was warm and very friendly nothing is too much trouble. The changed my drink as i asked for wine & lemonade but got soda by mistake. Was rectified immediatly with no fuss. The dishes were explained and even the lovely waitress showed me how to tip out my chicken Thali :) was soo much food i wish id not had lunch so i could fit it in. This is really worth a visit and is very good value for money. We will definatley be returning and we will be recommending to friends and family.

2  Thank Tammy C
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I've eaten here once before and loved the food then, this time round I got to introduce my brother and sister in law to the experience. I felt I had the best option of a starter for the veggie rolls which were gorgeous unfortunately my brother ordered the chicken tikka....I've never eaten anything that tasty from any other similar restaurant in all of North Yorkshire. The service was friendly and the food arrived in good time. My lamb and spinach curry was beautifully flavoured and after samping the rest of my tables meals (We like to share meals to taste a bit of everything) all of the mains were gorgeous, being rather full they were helpfully doggy bagged the remaining food which I've only just finished today. Really enjoyed the experience

2  Thank Ben H