“5ive Alive!!!”

Rice & Spice
Ranked #28 of 355 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Sri Lankan
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“5ive Alive!!!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

So many writers used to document experience by way of the five senses, an idea I have learnt recently to obsolete. We experience sensations in numbers greater than five but for the purposes of this review I will bracket my documentation, like they did, with only the common denominators:

SIGHT - The Curry Leaf adventure begins at the discovery of a tiny entrance sat on by a presence of generic Scarborough buildings. Shops, flats, storage. At the foot is The Curry Leaf exterior: yellow and green lit up by tungsten light. Inside however is a universe of colour, magic and visual charm. Enhanced by wonderful waiters, delightful cooks and my vivacious friend on the otherside of the table.

SOUND - Joy and relax are the words that enter my head upon listening to the soundtrack of The Curry Leaf. Tabla drones and sitar moans occupy the music, and alongside the friendly voices of everyone there, equates to a pleasing sonic experience. The hum of the busy restaurant does put down this experiences but rather enlightens with lively atmosphere.

TOUCH - the chapati, popadoms, and special bread (whose name escapes me) makes you want to eat with yours hands forever; soothing and soft are these, with cutlery and tables equally so. Eating with these luscious breads is a massage for the tongue and mouth.

SMELL -"'Smells delicious, 'nuff' said," is what I said upon taking my first whiff of The Curry Leaf aroma. This smell enters your body from opening the door and stays for the duration of your visit. It's memorable and unique. I feel, no doubt, that there is a process of superiority when people compare restaurants to this: we shall say "Smells like The Curry Leaf" and nothing else.

TASTE - ...

...Indescribable.

2 Thank T E

Scarborough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Value for money the best in scarborough”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

As far as Asian restaurants are in Scarborough this is the best for taste value for money service and general ambience. During busy times it may take a while to get your food but this is because it is fresh

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank DaveandVal_13
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Trip advisor didnt let us Down!”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We went here tonight on the reviews of trip advisor. The welcome was warm and very friendly nothing is too much trouble. The changed my drink as i asked for wine & lemonade but got soda by mistake. Was rectified immediatly with no fuss. The dishes were explained and even the lovely waitress showed me how to tip out my chicken Thali :) was soo much food i wish id not had lunch so i could fit it in. This is really worth a visit and is very good value for money. We will definatley be returning and we will be recommending to friends and family.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Tammy C
York, England, United Kingdom
“Birthday celebratory meal”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I've eaten here once before and loved the food then, this time round I got to introduce my brother and sister in law to the experience. I felt I had the best option of a starter for the veggie rolls which were gorgeous unfortunately my brother ordered the chicken tikka....I've never eaten anything that tasty from any other similar restaurant in all of North Yorkshire. The service was friendly and the food arrived in good time. My lamb and spinach curry was beautifully flavoured and after samping the rest of my tables meals (We like to share meals to taste a bit of everything) all of the mains were gorgeous, being rather full they were helpfully doggy bagged the remaining food which I've only just finished today. Really enjoyed the experience

2 Thank Ben H
Scarborough, England
“Pleasingly Different but some frustrations”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have eaten here on several occassions. The food is delicious and a bit different to other more mainstream curry restaurants, where dishes are the same from one place to another. The menu offers some more unusual choices and food is more "home cooked" than most. I dont mean that in a bad way- everything is very flavoursome and very well spiced. In fact dishes tend to be quite spicy as a whole. I really cant fault the food- but we have experienced a few difficulties-:
Its normally very busy and i would recommend booking as the restaurant is quite small- but they keep changing their phone number, so they can be really difficult to get through to. Before our most recent visit which we were only able to make after really digging around for the right number, we ended up going elsewhere because we couldnt get through and also they missed out on a couple of take away orders for the same reason.
Also we had made a booking recently to arrive and find the restaurant full and were told that our reservation had been made for 8.30 not 8pm and were asked to go away and come back. I know 100% the booking was made for 8pm because they repeated it back to me when i made it. I suspect they took a chance to fit an extra table in before we got there.
When you do get in, i could by no means call the service bad, but it can be a bit "patchy" ie waiting a long time for drinks, missed or mixed up orders, and perhaps a slight indifference when highlighted.
But as i said earlier the food is delicious.... if it wasnt we wouldnt have gone back. I just think that if they want to ensure repeat business then they may need to sharpen up on the front of house side.

1 Thank Jmac10