“A great showcase for talented youngsters”
Review of YMCA Theatre

YMCA Theatre
Ranked #31 of 87 things to do in Scarborough
More attraction details
Owner description: The YMCA Theatre is very popular with locals and tourists alike. It is very youth and community orientated and see's performances presented throughout the year by local groups of all age ranges. The theatre also boasts its own in house production company (YMCA Productions) whom present many productions; including Pantomime, Easter Production and Summer Season. It has a very busy schedule. The auditorium seats 290 patrons on tiered seating. It is fully Air Conditioned and has a deaf loop installed. It is very well equipped technically with computerised lighting and sound systems. The Theatre is also fully licensed serving wines, beers and sprites 1 hour before each performance.
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Went to see Grease on the last night, what a brilliant production, the cast exuded vitality, enthusiasm and talent. The production was slick, scenery cleverly moved around the stage and the lighting enhanced each scene. I thought the youngsters involved were clearly enjoying every moment of the production as were the audience who gave them a standing ovation at the end. I think the reviewer who thought this production was terrible must have seen a different show to the one I did. Shame on you...the YMCA needs all the support it can get as it provides so much for youngsters in the town AND it is self funding. The theatre is a little gem and I will be back to see other productions staged there, very well done to all concerned.

YMCATheatre, Manager at YMCA Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2015

Hi 8Carrie - many thanks for your kind review about our production of Grease back in 2013. I hope you have continued to enjoy productions at the YMCA Theatre.

There are newer reviews for YMCA Theatre

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Went to see Grease performed by local young people. The YM is a cosy intimate theatre run with a lot of volunteer help. I am always lifted when I go by the talent, effort and sheer exuberance.

Hi YorkshireJean1 - many thanks for your kind words! I hope you've continued to be cheered up by some lovely performances at the YMCA Theatre.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Didn't know what to expect with it being a YMCA amateur production but we were pleasantly surprised.
The cast of youngsters performed their hearts out, sure some of the singing & acting was at times dubious but they made up for it with their enthusiasm.
Performance of the night was Rizzo's "There Are Worse Things I Can Do"

The cast came down to the foyer for a chat as we were leaving which was nice.

The theatre itself was clean and comfortable although I could have done with a bit more legroom.
All in all a good nights entertainment and we will be back.

Davecl35 - thanks very much for your kind words about our production of Grease. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Awesome to see children having chance to perform

Hi Mrexplosiveboobie - thanks very much.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Went to see this performance and had to leave halfway through. I know they were kids on stage but the acting was horrendous. The songs were ok in parts but mostly out of time and tune. The only half decent performance was from rizzo, but even she could have done more with the role. There was little energy and sandy in particular was just awful. I am shocked by all the good reviews on this site. The best thing about it was the costume and set.
And to charge £9 a ticket is daylight robbery. If I'd have paid £2 a ticket maybe it wouldn't have been as bad.
Sorry to leave such a bitter review but I had to give my honest opinion.

Hi Danwilk91 - I'm really sorry to read that you did not enjoy our performance of Grease. I do hope that you've given the YMCA another chance and been to see another one of our productions. We really pride ourselves in the work we do with the young people, and can only hope that the performance on the night reflects the positive experience that the young people have had through the arts. Thanks again.