“Always cheers me up”
Review of YMCA Theatre

YMCA Theatre
Ranked #31 of 82 things to do in Scarborough
More attraction details
Owner description: The YMCA Theatre is very popular with locals and tourists alike. It is very youth and community orientated and see's performances presented throughout the year by local groups of all age ranges. The theatre also boasts its own in house production company (YMCA Productions) whom present many productions; including Pantomime, Easter Production and Summer Season. It has a very busy schedule. The auditorium seats 290 patrons on tiered seating. It is fully Air Conditioned and has a deaf loop installed. It is very well equipped technically with computerised lighting and sound systems. The Theatre is also fully licensed serving wines, beers and sprites 1 hour before each performance.
Yorkhire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Always cheers me up”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Went to see Grease performed by local young people. The YM is a cosy intimate theatre run with a lot of volunteer help. I am always lifted when I go by the talent, effort and sheer exuberance.

YMCATheatre, Manager at YMCA Theatre, responded to this review, June 22, 2015
Hi YorkshireJean1 - many thanks for your kind words! I hope you've continued to be cheered up by some lovely performances at the YMCA Theatre.

Castleford, West Yorkshire
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Grease”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Didn't know what to expect with it being a YMCA amateur production but we were pleasantly surprised.
The cast of youngsters performed their hearts out, sure some of the singing & acting was at times dubious but they made up for it with their enthusiasm.
Performance of the night was Rizzo's "There Are Worse Things I Can Do"

The cast came down to the foyer for a chat as we were leaving which was nice.

The theatre itself was clean and comfortable although I could have done with a bit more legroom.
All in all a good nights entertainment and we will be back.

YMCATheatre, Manager at YMCA Theatre, responded to this review, June 22, 2015
Davecl35 - thanks very much for your kind words about our production of Grease. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Awesome to see children having chance to perform

YMCATheatre, Manager at YMCA Theatre, responded to this review, June 22, 2015
Hi Mrexplosiveboobie - thanks very much.
“Letdown”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Went to see this performance and had to leave halfway through. I know they were kids on stage but the acting was horrendous. The songs were ok in parts but mostly out of time and tune. The only half decent performance was from rizzo, but even she could have done more with the role. There was little energy and sandy in particular was just awful. I am shocked by all the good reviews on this site. The best thing about it was the costume and set.
And to charge £9 a ticket is daylight robbery. If I'd have paid £2 a ticket maybe it wouldn't have been as bad.
Sorry to leave such a bitter review but I had to give my honest opinion.

YMCATheatre, Manager at YMCA Theatre, responded to this review, June 22, 2015
Hi Danwilk91 - I'm really sorry to read that you did not enjoy our performance of Grease. I do hope that you've given the YMCA another chance and been to see another one of our productions. We really pride ourselves in the work we do with the young people, and can only hope that the performance on the night reflects the positive experience that the young people have had through the arts. Thanks again.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Grease Show”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

the young people who acted in this were fantastic! they had put a lot of time in to perfecting the characters and were very much in role. an excellent show!

YMCATheatre, Manager at YMCA Theatre, responded to this review, June 22, 2015
Hi deborah d - many thanks for your lovely feedback about our production of Grease. I hope you've had the opportunity to visit us again since then to see another of our shows.