“OK, nothing more”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Manchester, United Kingdom
“OK, nothing more”
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Stayed for one night as I was working in the area. On the negative side, the room I was given was very small and a little tired decor-wise. The best thing about the hotel was the gym which was very handy (and included in the price).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
May I first of all say how sorry I am to hear that you felt the room you stayed in was a little small. All bedrooms are priced accordingly with an entry level room being 18 square metres. We do have a continuing plan of redecoration we runs 52 weeks of the year.

Glad that you enjoyed the facilities in the health club and do hope that you return one day as a leisure customer to experience all that the Crown has to offer

Thanks again for the feedback as we do read all customer comments and act upon them accordingly.

David Chambers Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (764)
  • Polish first
Seaham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Stopped on a Friday night in September for a treat for my 40th birthday (1 night away from the children). Got there about 2 and tried to book in but was told room not available till 3, got free parking outside I would not have been happy paying extra to park in car park. Room was clean, lovely bathroom bed was comfortable. Went down to spa but there was lots of children in pool having swimming lessons and it was very noisy, decided to come back in the morning but were told children were allowed in the spa in the morning so as we had to check out by 11 a.m. decided to stop. Spa was ok but was very busy as no adults were using the pool because of the very loud children so was not a relaxing experience. Public areas, toilets etc were clean, staff friendly. Breakfast was ok but don’t think you should have to pay extra for a cooked breakfast. I enjoyed my night away but for £130 (for 20 hours in the hotel) it was nothing “special” and we have had better stays in hotels paying less than this. I would return but not at that price, my 40th birthday night away was nice but nothing special & left feeling a little disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laudan
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
May I first of all say how sorry I am to hear that you felt your stay at the Crown was nothing special, it is always our goal to have our customers leaving and wanting to rush to return.

We do have restricted times in which children can use the pool but do offer a seperate relaxation area including sauna, steam room and foot spas where children are not allowed.I am sure you will understand we do try to cater for all clients needs including families.

Friday is often a busy day for departures which explains the wait till three for check in however early check in is available to be pre-booked.

We do have a vast continental breakfast menu and also offer a hot dish of the day at no extra charge to customers not wanting to spend an additional £5 for a full English breakfast.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Booked the previous day and got bed and breakfast for £90 in a 4* hotel. Attentive staff; good bar food; adequate swimming pool; comfortable room; recently refurbished bathroom. A pity that the Scarbourough weather did not match up!!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

David Chambers Operations Manager

I am absolutely delighted that you had an enjoyable stay at The Crown and I speak on behalf of myself and the team when I say thank you so much for your comments.

Over the winter months there will be some great bargains to be had on our website so please do keep a look out for another great break. Oh and you did pick the only rainy day we have had this year !!!

Thanks again and it goes without saying that I will pass on your kind words to the staff; we endeavour to make our guests stay a pleasurable one. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Holmfirth
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Just returned from a weekend break at the Crown Spa with partner and teenage daughter. On a positive note, the swimming pool/spa facilities were good (although the pool is on the small side) and the staff were friendly. But the 'junior suite' we stayed in was in need of serious updating and had all the charm (and décor) of a small 1930s council flat (the bathroom had been updated and was fine). It may well be that the standard of rooms varies, but for the rate we were paying I would have expected much better.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
May I first of all say how sorry I am to hear that you felt the room you stayed in was a little small I do need to state that the room is sold as a mini suite not a junior suite and mini does describe the size of the room. The smallest suite of the four we have is 30 square metres and to date neither the size or décor has been brought to me as an issue.

I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities in the health club but feel that the size of the pool is not normally an issue to customers wanting to swim lengths or just relax.

East Midlands
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We wanted a few days away, by the sea, and after recommendations we booked at Crown Spa. Went mad and booked room with sea view and balcony - what a great choice. Room 114 had it all, three piece leather suite, dining table and four chairs, large TV on wall and great views of the South Bay including the harbour. Great weather for September added to the holiday.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2010
Delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay with us, we're very proud of the feature rooms like 114 and really do appreciate hearing the great comments made.

The weather in September has been particularly good and does help to show the best that Scarborough has to offer. The winter months with the wild seas and brisk sea air can also be a pleasure to experience so keep your eye on the internet for some great deals over the coming months.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

scunthorpe
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Stayed at the crown spa, on a few occasions, never had any problems, till the last stay in August !. Because i smoke and left a empty packet in the bin in the room, which i had left in my wifes bag !, and she was clearing out her bag. We were telephoned AFTER we had left the hotel, and told they had found a empty packet in the bin and ash on the window sill !!!!, I always went to the front of the hotel outside to smoke and NEVER in the room, as we had the children with us. They asked if the hotel could take £ 70 of our credit card !, we which we repled NO, and was rudley told, WELL WE ARE !!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
May I first of all say how disappointed I am that you feel the Crown committed fraud but can assure both yourself and other customers that this was not the case.

The Crown operates a strict no smoking policy which is clearly noted with door signs bedroom signs and a full information pack that clearly explains what will happen in the event of the room being smoked in. All customers do have their credit cards swiped and enter into an agreement not to damage the room in anyway, this is clarified on the registration form. When it has been found that a customer has smoked in a bedroom there are no charges made until I personally check the room and being a non smoker it is often easy to tell and I can assure you the bedroom had clearly been smoked in.

We do at all times try to work with customers but when curtains and soft furnishings have to be laundered and carpets cleaned we do administer the charge of £70 I can assure you that at no time would any member of staff has tell a customer “ Well we are”.

I do hope that this note helps to clarify for future customers that under no circumstances would a member of staff take money from a customers card fraudulently.

County Durham
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We travel to Scarborough quite often and have stayed in many hotels and b & b's but after staying at the Crown Spa this will be our only future choice. From check in to check out everything was perfect, the beautiful room on the 5th floor, the service, the staff, this is the best hotel we have stayed in anywhere. We are hoping to return soon, we also paid less than we have paid at some of the poorer accomodation in Scarborough.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

It goes without saying that I will pass on your kind words to the staff; we endeavour to make our guests stay a pleasurable one. Over the coming months there will be some grat deals out on the internet so lets hope we see you again in the not too distant future.