5,162 results
All reviewsmood lightingsea viewice roomceiling fanfeature roomcontinental breakfastlovely hotelsteam roomon arrivalfree upgradeleisure facilitiesexecutive roomstreet parkingshort breakfull englishtop floorlovely room
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Lovely hotel in a prime spot in Scarborough. My friend and I booked for a weekend treat so we could shop, relax in the Spa and enjoy the sea air. The hotel looks beautiful from outside and has lots of money spent on the inside. The Spa was beautiful. The location is lovely, just outside the main town area so reasonably quiet at night.

These were the good points. The staff were very efficient in the spa and on reception and housekeeping. The hotel was clean, public areas were lovely and relaxing. Rooms lovely and clean, spacious with nice bathrooms. Great TV. Bar prices reasonable and lovely fire in the lounge.

Bad points, we slept very little as there seemed to be very little sound proofing between rooms, our neighbours came in very late each night and woke us up, they had the TV on until 3.30am which meant we could hear everything that was on. I thought this was poor for a hotel of this rating. The hotel bistr was very disappointing, our food was poor to say the least. We ordered the "pie" which came with a ridiculous pastry puff pastry lid on a bowl of stew. This is not a pie. The vegetables were cold and the potatoes were foisty.

We would come here again but not eat in the hotel. The hotel seemed very busy and we decided not to complain this time, but if I visit again and the room is as noisy as it was this time I would speak to the manager.

At the risk of sounding snobby I felt a bit sad that some of the clientele at the hotel seemed a bit rough and their behaviour (whilst outside smoking) not really in keeping with a hotel of this class. Whilst I understand that the hotel cannot pick its clientele I was suprised it didn't address some of these issues.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank spanglything
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2010

May I first of all thank you for your positive comments and say how pleased I am that you will be returning.

we do have a number of interconnecting rooms were soundproofing is somewhat of an issue, if on a future visit you ask for a room that doesn’t connect or even for one of the penthouse rooms i am sure you will be delighted.

Unfortunately after the event it is very difficult for me to comment on how a meal may have been presented or tasted and do wish this had been brought to the attention of the manager on duty who i am sure would have resolved the issues. I do hope that you return to the hotel and would look forward to meeting you.

We do thank you for your comments and wish to inform you that we take all of our customer’s comments very seriously and use them to help us with future developments within the hotel.

Reviewed December 28, 2009

The room was good, bed very comfortable, spotlessly clean and serviced daily. The live entertainment on Xmas Eve and Boxing night was excellent. Dinner on 23rd Dec was very good apart from the cool soup. I'm struggling to find some more nice things to say. Oh, yes, most of the staff were very pleasant but some of the female waitresses were really scruffy with long straggly hair like a neglected hedgerow. Surely food should not be served under a flapping mop of loose hair. Buy them each a hairbrush and teach them how to use it. The silver service training (if any) had obviously escaped out the window because a number of restaurant staff hadn't a clue. A diner should not need to hail staff and ask for water with a meal nor have to ask for serving spoons for the veg. and the main course should not arrive before the soup. Indeed there is much room for improvement in the dining room service. The self service grub laid out for Xmas Eve lunch was really disgusting with little choice and all of it just blood-warm. We went into town for a snack. Xmas lunch was nothing to write home about and the Christmas pudding was absolutely horrid. I'll bet most of it went back & into the bin. The sauce wasn't too bad though. Moving on to the buffet laid out in the evening of Xmas Day. This was surely thrown together by a plumber and a blacksmith. The carved roast meat and the pork pie were nice but the prawns were slushy and still partly frozen. Tea was made fresh and it was nice and hot but the rest of what was laid out was really very poor. Even I could have done better than that.

3  Thank Stromaman
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2010

May I first of all thank you for your positive comments regarding cleanliness entertainment, staff and some of the food during your recent stay at the Crown Spa Hotel.

I have looked into the issues regarding some of the staff’s personal appearance and can assure you that we no longer have anyone looking scruffy or flapping hair.

I do wish that you had mentioned your concerns regarding food whilst you were at the hotel as I am sure it would have been amended immediately.

Reviewed December 28, 2009

We spend alternate Christmases at posh hotels and chose the Crown Spa because of its excellent Tripadvisor reports and because we hadn't been to Scarborough before. Their three day Christmas break, though understandably pricey because of the time of year, was worth the money and it's difficult to find things to mark down without appearing to be petty.

On the plus side were the location (fantastic views over the town and a quiet area), the food (lots of variety and well presented), the staff (unfailingly friendly and helpful) and the accommodation (clean, lots of space and comfortable).

The minus points aren't really ones the hotel can do much about. The clientele on Christmas and New Year breaks tends to be a bit, er not to put too fine a point on it, old. Being charitable, let's say that the third age was significantly over-represented. The hotel itself does it's best to cater for Christmas visitors but doesn't really have the right sort of communal areas we would have found at other hotels. The dining rooms (yes, plural) are dotted round the ground floor and there's a reception area with seating, a games room and a telly room but there isn't a ballroom or other large public room for general assembly. Parking in the area is, thanks to Scarborough Council, a nightmare but addressed by the issue of parking scratchcards by the hotel on arrival.

Picking up on previous Tripadvisor comments, yes the room was very warm (and this was when the temperatures outside were well below freezing) so despite their vaunted green credentials, the Crown Spa should think about balancing their heating systems a bit more evenly as well as reducing their carbon footprint even further ... but perhaps this is descending into the pettiness mentioned above.

By all means base your holiday at the Crown Spa, hold your conference there or advertise your business with them but think twice about a Christmas visit unless you have a Tripadvisor login name like mine .....!

1  Thank Goldcardholder

May I first of all thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Crown Spa Hotel.

I do agree that the Christmas holidays do bring a clientele that are often a little older but would encourage people of all ages to join us over the festive period.

Over the Christmas period we did experience high winds coming in from the sea which in turn caused us to have a few issues with the heating namely customers complain of the cold which we reacted to by turning up the heating, this unfortunately did cause some rooms to become a little warmer than needed.

Reviewed December 19, 2009

Just returned from a 1 night stay at the Crown Spa Hotel, we booked a Superior room with sea view and requested a penthouse. Couldn't fault it in any way, room was excellent, staff polite, food great. By far one of the best hotels in Scarborough. We didn't use the Spa facilities so cannot advise on those.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
CrownRep, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2009

Firstly, I would like to say a big 'Thank You' for taking the time to write this fantastic review. We are glad that you enjoyed your short time with us. It is always rewarding to here that the staff are polite. We would love for you to return and try out the health club and spa facilities which I think you would find really set this hotel apart from all the others in the area.

Secondly, thank you for posting the 4 images with your review, these will be extremely helpful to others trying to find out about the hotel. I especially like the picture looking out to sea, you have really captured the mood and emotion of the landscape.

Once again thank you for the review!

Reviewed December 14, 2009

I booked a 2 night stay with my girlfriend as a bit of a treat, unfortunately the Crown Spa didn't live up to the expectations that were set by the website.
Yes its in a great location, the staff are friendly but if you want to stay in luxury in Scarborough then maybe there are better hotels or maybe you should try somewhere else!
Why was I dissapointed? Well the room was opposite the lifts / stairs on the first floor (as all the feature rooms are). This is hinted at on the website, but no mention of the noise is made, okay it was Christmas, but there must be functions there all year. So if you want some peace and quiet in the middle of the night, don't go for a feature room.
The room was also a bit shabby round the edges, most interestingly there were power cables all over the balcony and the jacuzzi was awaiting a part. The hotel didn't seem to think that they could have mentioned this. I've stayed in better hostels than that!

All in all, for the money paid you would be better off in a good guest house

3  Thank jinbojetset
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2010

May I first of all thank you for your positive comments and say how disappointed I was to hear there were aspects of your stay you did not enjoy.

Three of our ten feature rooms are directly outside the lift the other seven been far enough away not to be affected by the noise. We have 116 rooms and approximately 12 are directly affected by lift traffic so there is always the option to move guests to a quieter part of the hotel.

Over the past 12 months the hotel has undergone major refurbishment and the finishing touches being the outside lights which were being installed during your stay this is why there were cables on the balcony. We chose to do this during December as we feel this is one of the months that customers are less likely to want to venture outside.

The Jacuzzi bath is the last one in the Hotel and is due to be removed in the spring and at this time the bathroom will be refurbished adding mood lights and double ended bath.