“Pleasantly surprised”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I booked the crown spa as a last minute night away via booking.com Upon our arrival the reception staff were very friendly and helpful and set a good feel for our stay. We arrived a little early so the room was not ready, but the lounge area is a very comfortable area to wait. When we went to our room it was clean and we'll maintained with a modern bathroom. We were at the rear of the hotel (119) which looked out onto a wall, but this has been shielded by some shutters that are adequate. For a single night stay it was not an issue as we were not in the room for long, however I would not recommend a long stay if time is being spent in the room .... We spent time using the spa facilities which were excellent and thoroughly enjoyed.
Overall, I can say our first stay at the Crown spa was excellent and thoroughly enjoyed.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
crownspahotel, Customer Services. at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

May I firstly thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. I highly recommend booking a Sea View room when you stay with us, the views are stunning and simply worth it. You also receive the use of a telescope to explore further and if booking a Balcony room you may choose to enjoy your breakfast whilst watching the sunrise ahead of you.

We do hope that you return to the hotel as we would look forward to welcoming you back. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from the Advantage Package. This includes unlimited wifi, a noon checkout, 10% discount from your food, treatments and more. I would advise pre-booking any spa treatments as the therapists are popular and this will avoid any disappointment.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is important to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests.

With Kind Regards,
Cherry Knaggs-Shaw / Customer Services.

There are newer reviews for The Crown Spa Hotel

Reviewed August 25, 2014

Stopped here for one night as a special treat for me and my girlfriend. I advised I was going to propose to her and as a result they kindly gave me a free upgrade on the room. Staff were very polite at check in and check out and very chatty.
Rooms very clean, modern, nice plasma tv , comfy king size bed and four pillows.
Free use of the spa and leisure facilities, the lady kindly looked after my room card, and again was very professional and polite, nothing was of too much trouble for this middle aged lady working in the leisure suites. Lovely romantic Jacuzzi pool, swimming pool a little small but what do you expect as it is only a hotel pool. Nice foot spa facility left my feet feeling awesome, and I looked the Turkish steam room and sauna;.
I would stay here again, it is a little pricy at £96 for one night room only but as a treat I enjoyed my stay and would return,.
my only negatives, more niggles than anything would be;
£7.90 for a pint of lager and pint of coke in hotel bar. Bar staff never spoke a single word to any of the customers in the hour I spent there.
I got quoted £10 each for continental breakfast and if I wanted a cooked breakfast it would be £15 each. This is very pricey and I dare say a lot of people may venture a few hundred yards over the bridge to one of the cafes. I would of paid maybe £8 tops each for a cooked breakfast, lets face it they are a cheap meal too cook and I think the hotel is losing out here, whilst I am not a tight wad the price quoted was a little over the top for bacon sausage and egg.
Having said that all the other staff and hotel I was very very pleased with and I would return, I also am a very light sleeper and the noise level was very very quiet and with the comfy bed I slept like a log..

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra, simply stunning views
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank richard9999_12

May I firstly thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your girlfriend have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. The hotel is the oldest purpose built hotel and the only Four Star Hotel in our coastal resort. Many of the original architectural features are still in their prime, offering both traditional and modern facilities. The Taste Restaurant is a place to indulge yourself, where the food is pure delight and where quality and attention keep us awake at night, not you! May I advise that in addition to the Full sized breakfast we also offer an Express option. Full English being £8.00 and Continental being £6.00.

We do hope that you return to the hotel as we would look forward to welcoming you back. I would recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from the advantage offer. This includes unlimited wifi, a late checkout time, 10% discount from your food and more. Please also feel free to view our Romance packages, including various special touches, the Romance packages ensure that your experience is extra special.

With Kind Regards,
Cherry Knaggs-Shaw / Customer Services.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

Stayed at the crown spa on the 17th august for my nanas 80th was fantastic the hotel was immaculate and clean staff couldn't do enough for us! We had a separate dining area for our meal with candles balloons name cards all for my nana!! The staff also brough my son out some bread while his meal was coming to keep him occupied as he's only 11 months!!
The bedrooms were lovely and In my nanas room she had chocolates waiting for her on her bed she was well impressed!! Would def stay hear again :) thank you for a great time :)

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Vicky S
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review, I am delighted that your Nana had a wonderful birthday and enjoyed the treats we had placed in the room. I do hope that you bring her back to the Crown for her future birthdays.

Once again thank you for taking the time to leave a review and I do hope that you return to the Crown on your next visit to Scarborough as nothing pleases us more than seeing a guest return.

David Chambers / Operations Manager

Reviewed August 24, 2014

Went for a short, midweek break with the kids. The service was excellent, the food lovely and the rooms were a fairly high standard for a hotel of this age. The only thing that went wrong with our stay was that the smoke alarm went off at 2am, scaring the children to death. I realise that things happen in life, but no apology from any member of staff??? Strange and let the experience down.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review, I am always delighted when a customer leaves the hotel having enjoyed their stay.

I am extremely sorry that you were inconvenienced with the fire alarm but delighted that it is fully working, unfortunately once inconsiderate guest smoking in his bedroom created a disturbance for the rest of our customers. We did place a notice on reception and in the restaurant apologising for the disturbance.

David Chambers / Operations Manager

Reviewed August 24, 2014

We stayed Monday to Thursday this week and didn't mind the steep walk down to the front but could be very difficult for some. We didn't have breakfast as it seemed very expensive for one adult and one child nearly £23.
We were given a double room to share witch was ok as my daughter only 7 but wouldn't have wanted to do it for any longer than 3 nights. I was frozen the first night as only 2 thin sheets on bed (I know its supposed to be summer) . I looked in wardrobe but didn't find any spare sheets to add to the bed, I asked the next day and was given an extra well needed blanket. We didn't have a fantastic view just a roof top of the hotel which was a little disappointing.
We used the pool witch was really nice but very dated and children aren't aloud to use many of the facilities even within time restrictions.
We ate at the restaurant twice on a night and even though the staff very friendly the first night had to ask for my bill twice and the 2nd night 3 times as it was incorrect!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle C
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I am always disappointed when any aspect of a customer’s stay is not as they may have expected.

The hotel was built in 1845 and when we designed the pool area we decided to use a Victorian theme with Victorian reproduction tiles so I will agree that that it does look dated but this was intentional. Due to health and safety restriction children the age of your daughter unfortunately are unable to use the saunas and steam rooms.

My sincere apologies for the issues with regards to the wait and errors on your bill, the hotel is extremely busy over the summer months but the bill should have been correct.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review as we do read and respond to all reviews to enable us to improve the hotels experience for future guests.

Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

A very well positioned hotel in Scarborough. The public areas are very nice and the restaurant is good and family friendly, the service is professional but perhaps a little slow at times. The English breakfast is superb and the cafeterias of coffee are nice touch.

Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a short but positive review that I feel ticks all the boxes for any future guests wishing to visit the Crown.

I do hope that any future visit to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown as nothing pleases us more than seeing a guest return.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

You can't beat the location of the Crown Spa Hotel. There is a nice view of the harbor from here and you are right across the street from the garden walk leading down to the beach and old spa building. It is also walking distance to many restaurants. The staff was friendly and helpful. There are a few tables on a patio outside the bar, which is nicer than sitting in the lobby area. Parking is a bit of a challenge as the hotel's lot is small and cramped, but we always had luck finding a spot nearby on the street. If you ask for a quiet room, you won't have a view of the sea, but you also won't hear traffic or the coming and going of people at the main entrance. This is important to note because the lack of air conditioning means you'll want to leave your windows open in warm weather. The breakfast routine is unnecessarily confusing as there are three options and you are supposed to sit in the area assigned to the option you choose - which is odd if everyone in your party doesn't choose the same option. Instead of having the options printed out on a sign or menu, the hostess or server explains it verbally to everyone everyday, which is cumbersome and slow. It took us three days to make sense of it. Our room was clean and internet access was good, but the carpets in the hallway need a good cleaning. I was shocked one day when the elevator opened to find two housekeepers loaded down with clean linens which they unfortunately dropped on the floor. Instead of picking them up, the woman still in the elevator shoved them with her feet until they cleared the door, then the woman in the hall proceeded to toss them on the hall floor in several piles. So much for clean bed sheets! They were obviously scrambling so as not to delay me, but I wasn't pressuring them and would have felt better if they took the time to pick up the sheets and walk them down to the nearby cart so that all but the bottom one would still be clean. Also, when we reserved our room through booking.com, I asked for an early check-in. The receptionist had no record of this request but did make an effort to get us into our room as quickly as possible which was nice since we were operating on about 4 hours of sleep. We ended up leaving a day early due to a change of plans and the hotel said we had to request a refund through booking.com, which turns out isn't true. Booking.com is being very responsive so I am hopeful that we will indeed get a refund for one night.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. You won't have a view of the sea but I think the rooms on the street side...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Candace C

May I first of all thank you for taking the time to write a mixed review which does have some positive comments. We are always disappointed when any of our customers are not happy with any part of their stay.

I have spoken to the Head Housekeeper and can assure you that the incident you described with the linen is not the normal procedure and that they had been dropped and were not actually used. With regards to the carpets on the corridors there are areas where the carpet has wear marks but all corridors are cleaned on regular basis as are the carpets in the bedrooms.

I do apologise that you found the options for breakfast a little confusing, we have various options so that anyone that wants a lighter option is able to do so with ease and in no way are our intentions to confuse anyone.

Had your reservation been made directly with the hotel we could have cancelled it here when you decided to leave a day early unfortunately as it was with booking.com you do have to cancel through them as we pay them a commission and they would have still requested it had you not done this. Booking direct would have also given you the option to receive our advantages package which includes a discount on food along with various other benefits.