5,202 results
All reviews mood lighting sea view ice room ceiling fan feature room continental breakfast lovely hotel steam room on arrival free upgrade leisure facilities executive room street parking short break top floor full english lovely room
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed a Thursday and Friday evening, one day as 'business' and one at own expense. Had asked on phone for own expense evening to be 'basic room'.
On arrival was told that had been upgraded "Free of charge" to a superior room.
Loved the room - especially the TV at the foot of the bath :)
Food was good, although not outstanding.
However, on checkout, was told that upgrade was "Not free" for the second night, and it was "Their mistake", but as there were no other rooms available, I was not moved. After arguing, I ended up paying the full cost of the superior room.
This annoyed me, and as a result I would not stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on 5th floor are very good, and surprisingly quiet.
Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Spenceleys
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

May I first of all say thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am extremely disappointed that what started as a positive experience became a negative one. I am unsure as to why the misunderstanding occurred but can assure you that at no time is it our intention to cause any of our customers distress through what may be an error.

I do hope that you reconsider staying at the crown on a future visit Scarborough.

Once again thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to my attention.

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

I came down from Aberdeen with my wife to visit my Mum for a few days and we stayed in this fantastic Hotel. The only downside was one of the Hotel barman with a distinct beard , when I went up to order a round of drinks last Friday afternoon 1st Nov he had a horrendous , nasty and obnoxious attitude.
However this did not put me off the Hotel in the slightest as all the other staff we met were extremely helpful and couldnt do enough for you.
The Crown Spa is in a great location, its clean , the food in the restaurant was delicious , the gym and Spa downstairs were first class and we had a brilliant time.
We will definitely be back. Thanks again

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

May I first of all say thank you for taking the time to write a mostly positive review, I have spoken to John the member of bar staff with the beard and he sends his apologies as at no time did he intend to cause offence towards you, John as worked at the crown for some years now and this is the first time that I have heard a negative review against him.

I do hope that when you visit Scarborough you will return to the Crown as nothing pleases us more than a returning guest.

I will pass on your positive comments to both staff and management that we once again have another satisfied customer.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is my 5th visit to this hotel, so I obviously like this hotel. I enjoy the high standards, friendliness, good breakfast, large spacious bedrooms and bathrooms. Lovely spa area with pool, Jacuzzi and various steam rooms. Good location, just a short walk from the sea front and town centre. 2 negative points this time unfortunately - the Wi-Fi is supposed to be complimentary but only lasts for 2 hours and then you are supposed to pay, which reception wanted me to do, however I pointed out that I had pre-booked a package with complimentary Wi-Fi and at that point they backed down and gave me a code. A 4* hotel should provide free Wi-Fi for everyone. 2nd complaint was that our bedroom was quite cold (on previous visits it had been lovely and warm) - on mentioning this to reception I was provided with a fan heater - they are obviously saving money on the heating bills. Even though I had 2 minor problems I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and will be returning.

Room Tip: If you are not paying a premium for a sea-view, I always ask for an end of wing room at the back of the hotel. At least you still get some decent views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

May I first of all say thank you for taking the time to write a mostly positive review. I am pleased that two minor issues were resolved and that you will be returning to the hotel in the future. We do offer complimentary WiFi when a customer books through our advantages scheme otherwise we offer two hours free per day.

I do hope that when you visit Scarborough you continue returning to the Crown as nothing pleases us more than a returning guest.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I headed for Scarborough as a place we had never visited for our wedding anniversary weekend. Our preconceptions were that we would find a slightly faded Victorian seaside resort but quiet and with good walks. It proved to be not so faded and with a great castle.
A brief look online gave a variable impression of what to expect especially from the hotels and we swapped to the Crown Spa on the basis of these reviews. We were slightly alarmed by one review where the guest had been particularly unhappy but that was, upon closer examination a couple of years ago. We decided to take a chance, especially as the more recent reviews were so positive and it was only for a weekend - what could go wrong?
Well actually - nothing. It was really great! The room was dominated by a huge bed - as specified and the view over the bay was as ordered. We ate in the restaurant twice and apart from a slight delay on the Sunday night which was soon addressed; (and we received a complimentary drink to compensate) we enjoyed the food and the service was good and not too intrusive.
We were able to take in a play at the local theatre about local boy Charles Laughton which was excellent and were surprised to see the following morning the cast were also staying at the hotel - which must say something. I will never watch the Hunchback of Notre Dame in quite the same way again.

All in all a really enjoyable weekend, well served by an excellent hotel. We would go back and recommend this hotel as a place to stay for a special weekend. Can't guarantee that you will also see the stars of Eastenders and The Thick of It as we did!

We tried the health club and the pool which was fine if a little cramped around the fitness machines. Ours was just a casual use so this was not an issue. Parking was relatively easy although if you want to book a hotel space you probably need to book early. There is plenty of parking around although I would imagine in the summer it is quite challenging. The hotel provided a free voucher for parking during our stay.

The only negative from an otherwise excellent stay was the occasional wedging open of fire doors and the laundry shute. I understand the convenience issue but it is not good practice and I am sure a temporary lapse in an otherwise well run four star hotel.

Room Tip: Go for the front fo the hotel to get a sea view if that is what you like. The adjoining room doors may transmit a little noise where there are internal linking doors, but it was not a problem for us.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

May I first of all say thank you for taking the time to write a mostly positive review. I am delighted that you chose Scarborough and the Crown as the destination for your anniversary Scarborough is a wonderful destination right throughout the year.

I would always recommend that customers read a good selection of reviews on any site that they choose to use as often some of the negatives do come from customers that will never be pleased.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We need accommodation that is wheelchair accessible and has wheel-in/flat access shower. The Crown Spa was perfect for our needs. The staff were very helpful and provided all the bathroom aids we needed for a successful stay. Pity we couldn't use the bath - it looked amazing with the mood lighting. The hotel was lovely and clean and again the staff helped with our luggage. Lifts good enough size for the wheelchair, The room was comfortable and food delicious and again staff attentive to our needs.
Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

May I first of all say thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am delighted that the room and facilities were to a standard that enabled you to have an enjoyable stay.