“Jewel on the coast”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at the Crown Spa for one night over the weekend of April 20th 2013 whilst attending Olivers Mount motorcycle races. The hotel is extremely clean, well presented and gives an impression of a good quality business. We ate in the hotel restaurant, the food was very nice, but not the last word in fine dining. No complaints realistically. The room we had was an executive double on the fifth floor. The room was beautifully presented, spacious and very comfortable. The bathroom was again, lovely and clean. The shower is a fabulous drenching type. Theres even a TV in the bath!! We had a full english breakfast next morning and all was very satisfying. Parking can be a bit awkward, as there are only so many spaces out the front of the hotel, but we found a public car park just round the corner which charges only £4.50 for 24 hour parking, so no great problem there either.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I hope that you enjoyed the races at the mount and visit again for some of the race meeting later in the year.

The bedrooms and bathrooms are fitted out to a very high spec and I can see that this was something that you took full advantage of. Thank you for pointing out the parking arrangements that are a two minute walk from the hotel its nice when something like that is pointed out for future customers to see.

I will pass on your positive comments to the staff and management and do hope that a future visit to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown.

Once again thank you for the review as we do use all feedback to improve our guest experience in the future.

David Chambers Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,987)

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed here for a short break with a group of friends and had a single room. The first point to be made is that the hotel is in an excellent position on the top of the cliff and if you have a sea view (which I was lucky enough to have), the view of the coastline and sea is absolutely fabulous!
The room was clean and also to take advantage of the view, the hotel had provided a telescope which was fixed to a tripod waiting to be used - a fantastic touch!
The bathroom was also very nice with an overhead shower head and a choice of pink lighting as well as the standard white bulbs. Definitely something the ladies would love! In addition, a hotel branded bath robe is provided for use during the stay.
The hotel's pool and spa facilities are also very good with an average sized swimming pool, however an impressively sized hot tub which could comfortably seat at least 10 people. The only complaint both myself and my friends made were that both the pool and tub were a little too cool and would have been better at least 2 - 3 degrees warmer. The main swimming pool itself was rather chilly!
There are two saunas, with either a choice of mood lighting or standard lighting, a steam room and even foot spas! The facilities in this area are definitely well above average even in this class of hotel. It would be perfect however if the pool and hot tub issues could be addressed.
The staff were also extremely helpful and are an asset to the hotel. After we came in on the first night, I realised I had left my toothbrush at home, however the hotel keeps a stock of toiletries and when I asked at reception, I was given one at no cost.
We did not book breakfast with our rooms, however the day we left we ate brunch at the hotel bar, we all had different dishes (I had a smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel) and we all commented that the food was delicious.
One piece of advice however is that if you are travelling by car, be sure to book a parking space in their car park in advance. We did not do this and the car park was full when we arrived, however in the event this happens, the hotel issues you with a pass for you to display in your vehicle's window which allows you to park on the Esplanade to the front of the hotel at no cost.
Overall, this is a very good hotel which I would strongly recommend for a visit to Scarborough.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Excellent position, wonderful views. I didn't pay so have no idea for about value for money but for a 4* hotel it was above average. We had dinner included, which was very good - either the set menu or £30 off the a la carte was available. The mussels for starters was memorable - tasted very fresh (as you would expect). The rooms varied in quality, however. My deluxe double was excellent, but some of my party were staying in standard singles and they were not. One room had dirty windows, which was mentioned to reception - a prompt upgrade to a penthouse room was a nice professional touch.

Overall, I would recommend. With a little more attention to detail (cleaning trolleys not being left unattended on corridors for example) and some money spent on some of the rooms, this would be an excellent hotel and somewhere I would consider returning to.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a mostly positive review. Unfortunately there are no other options but to leave trolleys in the corridors whilst housekeepers are attending rooms, this is normal practice in hotels.

We have a rolling plan of refurbishment for all hotels and are constantly renovating and revamping bedrooms to keep them at the highest possible standard, this winter has seen refurbishments and upgrades in over 50% of our bedrooms.

I will pass on your positive comments to the staff and management who I know will be delighted that we have another customer that would like to return to the Crown.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

stayed at The Crown for 8 nights and had wonderful time. Warm welcome although we arrived very late and room was lovely, warm & clean with beautiful sea views. The breakfasts were perfect. The restaurant in the evening was lovely & the service second to none. Food could not be faulted, especially the duck liver brulee with apple sorbet! As usual when we visit Scarborough we went to the Stephen Joseph Theatre & rather that rushing through our meal we were asked if we wished to have our desert when we arrived back after the theatre. When we arrived back, there was our desert & coffee waiting...wonderful service Can;t wait for next year when we will be returning (although will probably fit in a visit later in the year) Thanks to you all..

Room Tip: sea views lovely
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am delighted that you have once again had an enjoyable stay. Reviews like yours are what encourage future customers to ignore the negative reviews and make the choice to visit the Crown.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed for a long weekend over Easter

Fifth time family members have been to the Crown Spa. Mini suite is ideal for our needs and the views across South Bay superb as always.

Will keep returning.Thank you for that little bit of extra concern. I was able to store my disability scooter in one of the conference rooms which saved me having to continuously lift it in and out of the car

Didn't use Spa so haven't commented

Will be back soon

Room Tip: Third floor mini suites are grea
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you again for visiting the Crown and taking the time to write a review I will pass on your positive comments to the staff and management who I know will be delighted that we have another customer that loves to return to the Crown.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Arrived to a very friendly and helpful welcome and the sea-view was absolutely superb. Great room and great facilities in the right part of town. We didn't use the spa or restaurant though they did look very good. The bar-staff were helpful with drinks for the room and the reception staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review, we do use all feedback to improve our future guests experience.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

we have been to this hotel many times and each time we have had a fantastic stay, i stayed with my patner, the hotel and staff were fantastic in every way. worth every penny, the fire and ice spa retreat was also fantastic we had a mud rasual for two again worth every penny. This holiday is a must!! left feeling totally relaxed!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review, I am delighted that you left the hotel feeling totally relaxed and the fire and ice treatment worked a treat.

We do use all feedback to improve our future guests experience. I will pass on your positive comments to the staff and management who I know will be delighted that we have another satisfied customer and do hope that a further visit to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown.