“fantastic hotel and staff”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Birstall, United Kingdom
“fantastic hotel and staff”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

we have been to this hotel many times and each time we have had a fantastic stay, i stayed with my patner, the hotel and staff were fantastic in every way. worth every penny, the fire and ice spa retreat was also fantastic we had a mud rasual for two again worth every penny. This holiday is a must!! left feeling totally relaxed!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review, I am delighted that you left the hotel feeling totally relaxed and the fire and ice treatment worked a treat.

We do use all feedback to improve our future guests experience. I will pass on your positive comments to the staff and management who I know will be delighted that we have another satisfied customer and do hope that a further visit to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown.

David Chambers Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (782)
  • Polish first
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I've had low expectations of the UK hospitality industry for many years now, and I never thought that I'd be proved wrong by a hotel in Scarborough: the Crown Spa Hotel is genuinely of international standard. The food is excellent, the spa itself, free to residents, is a wonderful bonus, and beautiful to the eye: very much in keeping with Scarborough in its heyday. For me, the icing on the cake was the staff, who are extremely well-trained and efficient, whilst managing to retain a relaxed air and friendly manner.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. All too often we face unjust criticism but reviews like yours make all of our hard work worthwhile. I am delighted that you left the hotel with renewed expectations of the hospitality industry.

We do use all feedback to improve our future guest’s experience. I will pass on your positive comments to the staff and management who I know will be delighted that we have another satisfied customer and do hope that a further visit to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had a nice room, lovely sea views and friendly staff. For a 4* hotel we would have expected more attention to detail; shabby towels, no caffeinated coffee and skimmed milk in the room without having to ask, bulb out in the bathroom, sweltering heat in the bedroom even on a coolish day. As we have noticed with several other reviews, the main disappointment was the extremely tasteless food in the restaurant despite sounding quite tempting. The menu is not exactly cheap, and for that price we expected far better; overall, very poor value for money. We have been coming here for years and this was the worst food experience we have had. Given the recurrence of similar comments on this site, I wonder whether anything has actually been done to change this. If you are planning on staying here, you're better off eating in the bar as that menu was fine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we do read and take all customer feedback very seriously and give all customers the opportunity to discuss any issues that they may have. We are currently reviewing our menus which we do every quarter. You are correct in saying that there have been a number of negative comments on this review site but don’t mention that there are also a great deal of positive ones.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I do hope a future visit to the Crown will have a menu that is to your taste.

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

We were upgraded as soon as we arrived. The room was great and the bed was huge! Only downside was one side of the mattress was lower than the other and the tv didn't work and the wifi signal was really weak; however the hotel was spotlessly clean from the rooms to the bar/ lounge to the breakfast room. The staff were really friendly and we got free parking. Unfortunately we didn't get to the spa because we went out both days so was disappointed I didn't try it but I have no qualms about returning.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for a lovely review, I am delighted that you had a lovely break. We are confident that any future customers will read past some of the negative comments posted on this site and take a trip to the Crown to see that we really do offer great service.

UK
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 10pm to be met by a lovely, attentive receptionist. We had parked on the street outside and were quickly given a parking permit. Our room was a comfort king at the back of the hotel, the room was comfortable and spacious with a lovely bathroom (although the workmanship in places was a tad sloppy). The bed was super comfy...no issues sleeping at all and the room remained dark well in the morning...all good on a relaxing break. Our first morning was hit by an hour long power cut...not the fault of the hotel in any way...but after giving it well over an hour after power was restored, I was most disappointed to have a cold shower (such a shame as the shower head was massive and would have been perfect if only the water had been hot). Whilst I don't blame the hotel for the power cut, I think an hour with power restored should be more than long enough for a 4star hotel to provide a hot shower!! We were out all day and returned back at 10pm...to find that both our room keys had been deactivated, reception claimed this must be because we'd stored them near our mobiles...but they'd been kept apart all day and were nowhere near our phones! Anyways...we slept well again, but were then awoken at 9am by considerable noise from the room above ours...an amorous couple you might think? Nooooooooooooooo....it was the maintenance team refurbishing the room above...cue an hour of banging, drilling, hammering as we got up and ready to leave! As we checked out I asked to speak to the manager to raise my complaints...the response was nothing if not underwhelming..."oh I'm sorry you had a cold shower, the power cut wasn't our fault but yes, I suppose you should have had a hot shower an hour later, but its not our fault...oh and I'll speak to maintenance about the noise you experienced...I'll put a note on your file and next time you come book through us (most expensive way to book by the way) and we'll upgrade your room"...my response of "erm, we won't be coming back" was met with an attitude I can only describe as unbothered. Not quite the level of service I expect from a 4* hotel and god help them if the people from the AA come and review their status when the maintenance team are in or the useless duty manager is in charge! A shame we had our experience spoiled, this place has the potential to be so good!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank LisaAndSteveUk
As I am sure you will understand if you think about the water logically, we have 115 rooms and the hotel was extremely busy with corporate guests most of them checking out before 8.30am with the electricity off they were still able to shower but unfortunately the water they used was not replaced with fresh hot water as the gas emergency cuts out with the electricity. This left us with ice cold water to heat which with two boilers that are more than capable under normal circumstances. Having been at the hotel now for twelve years I can honestly say that this is the first time that we have had a power outage for this length of time.

The AA and visit Britain are both aware of the day to day workings of the hotel and have always supported us when they know that any refurbishment is taking place, we do also reflect this in the prices that we offer and only do refurbishment projects on a Monday to Thursday.

I can also state that calling the hotel for a price will always be cheaper than that of any agent and do wish that you had taken the managers offer as recompense. I do feel that the duty manager is far from useless but that you have formed this opinion based on his offering not being to your requirement.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed for just one night and everything was spot on. The reception staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful. We had an excellent evening meal in the restaurant, where the staff were very attentive without being intrusive. The room was spacious, the bed large and comfortable - there was ground coffee and a cafetiere as well as teabags. We have booked a return visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review both myself and the staff are always extremely pleased to see returning guests as it tells us the service we provide is of a high standard.

We do take all of our customer’s comments seriously and use them to improve the experience for future guests.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed staying at this hotel as a family. We had a sea view room which had a separate room for the children so it was fun for them. The windows in the room were not clean but I appreciate the salt in the sea air can do this but it would make the view better. We particularly liked the bathroom which had pink lights and made the ambience very relaxing. The staff were so friendly and very attentive. The one downside for our stay was the quality of the food in the restaurant. It was utterly flavourless. I am not sure if the chef had a cold but they need to taste what they serve more. It had no salt flavour. Interestingly, we heard other tables asking for salt which was not a good sign. It was also rather expensive for what it was. We would stay again but next time we would not eat in the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank travelfanatic1982
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a mostly positive review. over the past week we did have some extreme weather conditions with the winds blowing in from the sea, this lasted for about 5 days and did leave the windows of the hotel extremely dirty, after three days we have now managed to clean all windows and feel they are back to the standard they should be.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the food but will be mentioning the issues brought up in your review at our next management meeting.

I do hope that a future return to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown and that you do eat in the restaurant where I am sure any issues you may have had have been resolved.