“Affordable Luxury”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We decided on another pre-Christmas break at Scarborough's Crown Spa Hotel, based on two previous very happy stays. We weren't disappointed. We arrived a little early for check in, and were offered complimentary coffee in the lounge while we waited. Check in was quick and straightforward, and we were upgraded to a penthouse sea view room, which was perfect. We were also given a free parking voucher which lasted the duration of our stay. We had a courtesy call from reception after an hour or so to check if we were happy with the room. The bed was very comfortable, the room was toasty warm, the en-suite was impressive with its integral TV at the end of the bath, and the included wi-fi was faster than anything I ever experience at home! We made full and daily use of the pool & spa facilities, which were well maintained and a pleasure to experience.

Continental breakfast was included in our deal, and this was very substantial, keeping us going well through the day. We used the Taste Bar restaurant on our second evening, and this was the only slightly negative experience - an elderly couple came in after us, but before we had given our order. It appeared to us that the staff were very keen to 'look after' this couple, and, indeed, their order was taken before ours, and a great deal of fuss was made of them. My partner had a word, and our order was taken shortly afterwards. The food, when it came, was very good. I mentioned our experience on checking out, and received an apology. This might seem a minor matter, but the point is surely that our money is as good as anyone else's, and if you are paying for four star service, you should get it.

Overall, we once again enjoyed our stay very much, and hope to be back before next Christmas.

Room Tip: go for a sea view if you can!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you once again for visiting the Crown over the festive period and taking the time to write such a positive and honest review. The only thing that pleases me more than a satisfied guest is a returning satisfied guest.

There are newer reviews for The Crown Spa Hotel

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just had a 2 night break at the crown spa, lucky to find a free parking spot nearby. Our room was upgraded, really warm and comfy even had a small fridge. from the back windows you could see the castle. the bathroom was a surprise with t.v at end of bath! Staff friendly and helpfull, only a short walk over the bridge into town. Will look at another break there in the spring. forgot to mention the spa, tried the sauna, foot spa and jacuzzie.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive and honest review. I will certainly pass on your kind words to our team at our next management meeting who I know will be delighted that we have another satisfied customer.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Just returned from a 4 day stay at the Crown Spa. Can't wait to return. We can't find any negative thing to report only positive ones. From the welcome at reception, to our room(albeit at the back of the hotel) which had beautiful views over Scarborough town, to the wow factor when entering the bathroom. The bed was so comfortable that we didn't want to get up. The food offered in the Taste restaurant, the continental breakfast - why would anyone want a cooked breakfast, when presented with such an array of choices. The staff are so friendly and helpful. I did treat myself to an afternoon with a swim and use of the leisure facilities and later had a spot of pampering, wonderful. Thank you to everyone at Crown Spa, we will certainly sing your praises and recommend you to all our friends. We will definately return.

Room Tip: Our room was classed as a king size and was brilliant. Room 357.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing and honest review. As with most hotels we do have rear facing room but as you state there are wonderful views across the town and countryside.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Had a lovely overnight stay between Christmas and new year. Lovely rooms on fifth floor with comfy beds, lovely wood furniture, coloured lights in bathroom to add ambience and a tv and radio system in the bath!, breakfast was a delight lovely fresh food, perfect poached eggs and lots of choice. All staff very friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: Fifth floor was great but other rooms looked lovely too.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a short but positive review, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay over the christmas period and do hope that a return trip to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

just spent christmas at the crown spa in scarborough,it was fantastic.the staff could'nt do
enough for you everyone was so helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
the food was fantastic and so much choice.all in all a great christmas.

2  Thank drewery

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Over the Christmas period Scarborough was hit with extremely high winds which were heard throughout the hotel, this unfortunately is somewhat of an issue when you are perched on a cliff 100 yards from the north sea.

I can assure you that the price you paid for the room was a great deal cheaper than it was on late rooms and in no way where we trying to squeeze an extra £40 out of you.

We did advertise on the internet and also informed all customers that we had a reduced menu over the festive period. I am sorry that these issues spoilt what should have been an enjoyable stay and extremely disappointed that you will be looking elsewhere for a wedding venue.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I booked a romantic break via late rooms as I was intending to propose to my partner. I booked a junior suite £97. After reading the many excellent reviews I thought I would change booking for an executive room as everyone raved bout the standard of the bath room and the tv's. I looked on late rooms and these rooms were still available at the same price. Rather than cancel first booking and book again I emailed the hotel directly and asked if they could change my reservation. I had to wait a day for a response but they said I could change booking directly with them and I could upgrade for £20 per night, happy days or so I thought. Checked in and found room 556 to be tucked away at the back facing the town, a room I could have booked via late rooms and saved the £40. As the room is next to the fire escape don't expect much sleep if it's windy as the metal parts of the railings clang and bang all night. Room service menu was reduced to a few burgers and it would have been nice if someone had let us know this when we checked in as we planned Saturday on the basis of having romantic meal in room at night, no chance if afternoon teas either which was a great shame as many reviews mention how nice it is. Room finished to very high standard and very comfortable. On the whole staff are very attentive and helpful although a couple of the bar staff looked liked they would rather be somewhere else and thought it was fine to stand a the bar moaning, maybe not where guests can hear you guys next ?? We were going to look into holding our wedding here but have decided to look else where, shame attention to detail and squeezing an extra £40 out of me let you down

Stayed weekend of 28th December 2012

Room Tip: Room 556 very noisey if it is windy
2  Thank Simon W

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Over the Christmas period Scarborough was hit with extremely high winds which where heard throughout the hotel, this unfortunately is somewhat of an issue when you are perched on a cliff 100 yards from the north sea.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Excellent Christmas break at the Crown Spa Hotel. Service, cleanliness, comfort all outstanding. Our room on the fifth floor had spectacular views of the South Bay and harbour with a window seat from which to enjoy these views. Touches of luxury included a tv screen above the bath and fruit and chocolates in the room. Meals were first class - lots of variety and beautifully served. The spa facilities are excellent with pool, jacuzzi, saunas, steam room, chill out room, aroma room and foot spas.
We were about the youngest over Christmas 41 and 51 respectively. Mostly couples and mostly older end - however a very good atmosphere throughout.
Nice touches were Santa and his elves giving out gifts to all residents on Xmas morning and complimentary tea/coffee, mulled wine, kir royale at various points in the lounges throughout the Xmas break. Very much enjoyed the recitations from Charles Dickens by a member of the Malton Charles Dickens Society in Victorian costume on Xmas Eve accompanied by afternoon tea.
Only downsides - bedrooms far too hot. We had the windows open the entire time! Whilst in the Consort Suite, the air conditioninig was very fierce at times and had us shivering! The only other gripe was the lack of entertainment on Xmas Eve and Xmas Day after dinner. Would have expected more from a 4 star hotel over Xmas. Some guests, like ourselves were disappointed.
The hotel is a little walk from the centre of South Bay, being situated on the Esplanade and it is quite a climb up to it from the town centre. If you are at all unfit or unhealthy - suggest a taxi from the town centre or beach.
However on the whole this was a first class experience and the Crown is to be highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a honest and mostly positive review, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and do hope that you return in the future.

We are currently looking at reviewing the Christmas package but have found that after many years in the business that after consuming a great deal of food on Christmas day most guests are happy with a quitter night.

I will pass on your positive comments to the team who I know will be delighted with your review. I do hope that a future visit to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown as we do enjoy having guests return.