“Xmas weekend party night”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Xmas weekend party night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights this weekend.It is a lovely hotel nicely situated.The staff were lovely and the party night was great with wonderful food .
The only negative was whoever cleaned ou room did not replace the dirty towels and we had to ring for clean ones.

1 Thank ellen e
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a mostly positive review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your weekend but will apologise for what must have been an oversight on the housekeepers side with regards to the towels.

David Chambers / Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Polish first
Lanarkshire, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Location: located right on the sea front, the hotel is in a wonderful location. There is a bit of a walk down the hill to the beach so a little bit of fitness needed.

The reception staff were very welcoming and provided us with a parking voucher for on street parking as the hotel car park is tiny. Parking outside the hotel is really busy, even in November, but we got parked just round the corner.

Room: The room was quite small but immaculate with a really comfy bed. The en suite looked recently refurbished, with robes and beautiful mood lighting. The shower was great but the bath was a bit 'all show' without being practical as it had steep slopes at each side. Got turn down service but on second night, bed was left in a mess with only a mint on each pillow to indicate that someone had actually been in the room. Bit disappointed at that. Had a good night's sleep with little noise in the hotel, which was good.

Spa Facilities: Nice pool, though quite small if you want a swim. Nice jacuzzi, though could have been warmer. Good saunas. Restricted times access to pool for children, which worked really well for those who had left them behind.

Breakfast: This was continental, although there was a sausage hotpot option. you could pay extra for the full english breakfast, which was a bit of a surprise on arrival as there had been no mention of this when booked on the hotels.com website. You did not need the full english to be honest at the continental breakfact was really good, with croissants, pastries, cereal (wide range of gluton free cereals and breads too). There were also cold meats, cheeses, yogurt and fruits toppings, as well as breads to make toast n- beware, the smoke alarm went off while we were there, due to the toaster.

Recommendation: I would definitely recommend this hotel to others visiting scarborough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a mostly positive review. The baths are double ended which does leave them sloped on both sides and more often than not do get us some positive feedback, I am sorry that they were not to your taste.

Once again thank you for all of the positive comments which I will pass on to the management and staff in our next meeting.I do hope that you return to the Crown and hope than any issues however small will be brought to the attention of the management.

Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have just returned from two nights at the Crown Spa with old schoolfriends. We had two superior sea-view rooms and ate in Taste each evening. We had a lovely time. The staff could not have been pleasanter or more helpful. The rooms ( 216 and 218 ) were very comfortable - the beds and pillows were excellent - and we loved the pink-lit bathrooms! The view over the bay is wonderful.

Two of us used the spa facilities and found the water chilly - but it was snowing outside!

The Taste bar menu was good and reasonably priced and the food delicious, and finishing the meal sitting by the fire with an excellent coffee was the bees knees!

I now want to take my husband so that he, too, can enjoy the cosy ambience and friendly atmosphere. ( Any excuse for me to go back! )

Room Tip: If you want the boutique rooms on the top floor ask if it has a clear view as the one we looked at h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable weekend and that you are looking forward to returning with your husband.

We do have two rooms on the penthouse floor that do have partial sea views as the apex of the building does cover about a quarter of the view but does still leave some amazing views of the coast.

Once again thank you for all of the positive comments which I will pass on to the management and staff in our next meeting. I do hope that you return to the Crown and hope than any issues however small will be brought to the attention of the management.

Mansfield, Notts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed two nights with my wife in a room with disabled facilities and a fantastic sea view. Don't stay here if you like the hustle and bustle of all night traffic going past, or the songs of late night revellers in the street: there just aren't any! What we were disturbed by, was the sound of the sea breaking gently and rythmically on the shore below our bedroom and the faint cry of seabirds in the distance as we awoke to a beautiful sunrise - even in December! Our kingsize bed was very comfortable and with quality bedding, made it even better. The large bathroom, lit with spotlights over the bath, and a wetroom type shower and two washbasins one lower than the other presumably for a wheelchair user was sheer luxury. The large bedroom had enormous amount of storage space, a sofa and a reclining easy chair positioned close to the tall windows which gave a view of the sea even from the bed. The decor of the room whilst clean was perhaps a little bland and slightly faded but served its purpose.
But the great thing about this hotel is its staff. This is the second time we have stayed here this year and on both occasions I have to say the staff do go out of their way to be helpful and actually look as though they really mean it.
I really enjoyed the wonderful cooked breakfast, the sausages were particularly good. The continental breakfast is buffet style with the cooked breakfast being cooked to order. We didn't try any of the health leisure club facilities but we did eat in the restaurant. Unfortunately my wife was off colour and was unable to complete her meal in the restaurant but did have it taken to our room. For a nice change my steak was cooked how I had ordered it and the accompanying home made battered onion rings were a delight. I realise that is a strange thing to comment on but they really did impress me. What finally capped it for me was when we were leaving and a blizzard blowing outside, a staff member helped me to my car in the snow to make sure neither me nor my stick, slipped. Then he proceeded to scrape the snow and ice from my car windows before loading our luggage into the car. That is exceptional service!!
Criticisms, very few. Our room was very warm and some may find that uncomfortable. I couldn't work out how to turn down the heating. The sash windows don't open very far, presumably for security reasons which I understand, but it did mean that pics of the marvellous view can be taken only through the glass. The bill at the end of our stay was a summary so I couldn't work out some of the charges. However these are niggles which do not detract from a lovely experience we both had.
We will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor with a sea view have balconies
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rondawes
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable and look forward to you returning in the not too distant future.

If you do return please don’t hesitate to ask for the child locks to be removed from the windows as it only takes a couple of minutes. We are currently well into our programme of winter refurbishment and room 202 has already been redecorated.

We are very proud to use local suppliers and our sausages do come from a local butcher who only uses meat that he has personally bred.

Once again thank you for all of the positive comments which I will pass on to the management and staff in our next meeting. I do hope that you return to the Crown.

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our son treated us to a night at the Crown Spa Hotel,he had booked us a sea view room which was upgraded to suite..The staff were very friendly on arrival and we were able to book in at 12pm.The room was fabulous large queen size bed,2 armchairs,large bathroom,and a lovely balcony with table and chairs to admire the scarborough sea front(especially nice at night)
Didnt eat in the hotel as our son had booked his favourite restaurant,Cogonis.Breakfast was lovely and the staff really helpful.Didnt have time to use the spa but would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review, I do hope that you do return in the future and have the time to use all of the facilities we have to offer including the restaurant. Cogonis is a lovely restaurant and I’m sure you will have had a lovely meal.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

fantastic place, hotel itself is wonderful, but what made it for me was the staff. Very friendly and seemed to have a good working relationship between them, this gives a very nice atmosphere.
Would be very happy to stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review and can I say I fully agree with you in your comments regarding the staff. We do have a wonderful team at the Crown who are dedicated and do enjoy their job.

Once again thank you for all of the positive comments which I will pass on to the management and staff in our next meeting. I do hope that you return to the Crown sooner rather than later.

Castleford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed in Mini King suite with superb views across South Bay. Food superb both in restaurant and bar menu. You have to try their afternoon tea with champagne.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Reading some of the negative reviews can't understand them but some folks will try anything to negotiate a refund!!!

A word to the management. Your current website doesn't do the hotel justice. You need to review it.

Didn't use spa so haven't commented on it

Room Tip: Book 3rd floor for view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive and honest review. I must say how nice it is when a customer reads tripadvisor and can clearly see the reason behind some of the negative reviews and agree whole heartedly.

Myself and the directors are in full agreement about your comments regarding the web site which is being redesigned as I type and hope that the changes will be seen in the not too distant future.