“Never again!”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend and I'm pleased to say it will be our last visit! Arrived at about 12.30 to a very surly receptionist who just kept repeating that check in was at 3.00pm. We eventually got our keys at 2.58. We were in a room on the so called penthouse floor which to be fair is lovely but the room was absolutely tiny for the £224.00 we were paying for it and like walking into an oven. The ceiling fans do nothing but blow hot air around the room and windows have been done so they open no more than an inch; it's without doubt the worst night I've ever spent in a hotel. We were still awake at 3.00am due to the heat. I thought I was either going to have a panic attack or pass out! In the morning, my other half went to reception to enquire about moving and they put us on the first floor in what they call a feature room - thankfully much better!!! They told my partner that they were aware of the problems with the heat - so why put anyone in the rooms in the height of summer then..?

We thought breakfast was good, but shamefully for a hotel by the sea, no kippers or haddock for breakfast. When I told the waiter this was a bit ridiculous for a place at the seaside, he said " yeah, we didn't have any last week either!". To make it worse, we were double charged for our two day breakfasts after returning home.

Then there are the teddy bears... On arrival you are given a piece of paper telling you about a bear in your room. It states that if the bear is not there when you go into the room, please inform the hotel or you will be charged for it upon checking out. So, nothing to do with the staff not checking it is there when they service the room and then hand it over to you, you must have nicked it!! How can that be good customer relations?

This hotel has the makings of being very nice; lovely location, nice reception area and outside garden space and all the housekeeping staff I encountered were polite and friendly but they still have a along way to go to getting it right. We won't be back!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ouisel1705
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
May I first of all say how disappointed I am that you did not take me up on the offer that was made in my response to your email.

The room that you were in was on the fourth floor and throughout August has had an occupancy of approximately 95% demanding a rate not dissimilar to the one you have paid, yours is the first and probably most extreme complaint that I have received.

We accept that the room is warm as was the weather during your stay, we do have blinds and curtains in all of these rooms which can in most cases assist in the cooling of the room when the sun is belting through the windows all day.

We did upgrade you to a feature room at a reduced rate for your second night and were left to believe that on checkout all was well and the rest of your stay had been enjoyable. I am extremely sorry that this was not the case and very disappointed that you will not be returning in the future.

David Chambers / Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (764)
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Good quality rooms, good service and excellent spa facilities! Seems a little bit pricey at first at £150 a night but the spa facilities definately make it good value for money. We ate in the hotel restaurant and had the set meal- 4 courses for £30 and the food was really good, also there was a large variety of food available for the full English breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for a lovely review and pointing out some of the facilities that are provided for what may initially seem a little expensive.

I will certainly pass on your kind words to our team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed for one night and would certainly go back. We had travelled up from Oxford and had to wait until 3pm to get into our room, even though we arrived at 2pm and our bags were taken straight up. The room was really nice, but over-looked a flat roof, which was a bit of a let down. Would make sure we got a view next time as the hotel looks out over the sea and book an earlier check-in.
We had a light lunch whilst we waited on our room and the food was good and the staff attentive.
The room was a bit warm for us at night, so we slept with the window open, only to be wakened by the screeching of seagulls in the early morning, scavenging the bins. It is a seaside town and the gulls are a problem, but once we closed the window, you could hardly hear them. Great comfy bed and pillows though.
We didn't have time to use the spa facilities unfortunately, and it closed early at the week-end, which was disappointing. It looked fabulous though.
The breakfast was fantastic and again the staff were great.
Made use of the private car park, which was a bit of a tight squeeze with a 4x4, and be prepared for bird poo all over your car when you leave, as its close to the bins that the gulls raid. Had to head straight to a car wash before travelling up to Scotland !!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a very positive review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and do hope we are the choice for future trips to Scarborough. The seagulls are somewhat of a nuisance and we do have deterrents fitted to the hotel roof to discourage them from nesting.

I would really recommend booking a sea view on a future visit as the views from the front of the hotel are amazing.

Leamington Spa
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed here for three nights whilst on business. The initial welcome at Reception was a bit cool - not really what you want after a three hour journey. Directions to my room weren't given, but I found it easily enough - room 507 on the top floor. I didn't have a sea view, but the room was very nice, overlooking the moors. Lovely mood lighting in the bathroom was a nice touch, as was the tv over the bath. Lovely complimentary toiletries which were restocked every day. The ceiling fan was very welcome as the first night was very hot. I ate each evening in the Taste Bar. The food was very good (light bites menu - I had chicken ceasar salad, the house burger and the salmon salad) but the service was very slow every evening. There seemed to be several waiters/waitresses milling around, but attention was not really being paid to guests who wanted to order quickly (like me!). Breakfast was also good (continental) with lots of choice. However only expect semi skimmed milk! I did ask for skimmed milk, but it's not available. I also had to ask for tea each morning - again, there were several waiters around, but they seemed more concerned clearing tables than looking to see if guests required their attention.

Back to my room - the bed was extremely comfortable, and the evening turn down service is a lovely touch (chocolates left on the pillows - nice!) and the tea/coffee box replenished.

Parking can be difficult, but this is mentioned on the website, so I was prepared for this. The situation of the hotel is fantastic, with lovely views over towards the harbour and castle. All-in-all it was a lovely, relaxing stay. Just what you need when travelling on business. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

If you have any special requests in the future such as skimmed milk please inform reception on booking as we will be more than happy to purchase this for during your stay.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Very familiar with scarborough and chose the crown to stay for two nights for a family wedding we booked on a so called discounted structure and were offered a family room which comprised a rickety metal framed bed put you up bed,which came equipped with the thinnest mattres and totally unacceptable for two boys aged 8 + 10 the only way to get in was to clamber over each other the room was overcrowded and excessively hot no air condtioning so we were offered some fans add to this the toilet was smaller than could be described in that you had to enter stand/hang over the bath to allow the door to be shut and make it to the wc the cheap bathroom was equipped with tacky pink mood lighting,the bedroom was fitted with a wall mounted flat screen which can not be viewd from the bed ,wardrobe was a painted white cupboard with a rail limited shelf space and safe a totally unacceptable standard for a family room that bad we checked out and whilst in recetion look up at the big black cobwebs totally ruined our visit to scarborough for a special occassion

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Tyrerfamily
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
May I first of all say how disappointed I am that the room we allocated you didn’t suit your needs. We unfortunately didn’t have any other rooms that would have suited so were happy to give you a full refund.

Our sales manager did call to apologise the next day but you had already made arrangements so the offer of the hotels suite was at that stage turned down.

On depart I was delighted that the rest of the wedding party had enjoyed both the rooms and the hotel.

Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I booked the Crown Spa Hotel for a overnight stay for my husband's 50th. He particularly wanted a room with a view and was not disapointed!! We had the penthouse suite with the best view of Scarborough and a telescope which was a lovely added touch! The spacious room was not to be faulted. Large flat screen tv, king sized bed, plenty of white towels and bath robes. A tv in the bathroom was a novelty as well. There was a large ceiling fan which was appreciated with the hot nights and a portable fan was an added bonus.

All the staff at the Crown Spa were polite smartly dressed and accomodating. Breakfast was included and i appreciated the choice other than a full English - scrambled eggs and smoked salmon were beautiful. We didnt have chance to try the Taste restaurant but we will when we return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you very much for such a lovely review and belated birthday greeting to your husband. We have had some very warm weather over the past couple of weeks but temperature can be controlled in the bedrooms with a little planning and patience.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We booked at the last minute and thought we might be in a broom cupboard! The room was well proportioned and recently decorated. The decor throughout the hotel was excellent. Service was cheerful and efficient. We really enjoyed our short stay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your short but positive review. I am delighted that you were happy with the room and service that the Crown provides.