5,167 results
All reviewsmood lightingsea viewice roomceiling fanfeature roomcontinental breakfastlovely hotelsteam roomon arrivalfree upgradeleisure facilitiesexecutive roomstreet parkingshort breakfull englishtop floorlovely room
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We booked a two night romantic break icluding rose petals and champagne upon arrival . We were greated with a dirty room and fake fabric cut out thread bare rose petals on our bed. The 'champagne' was a cheap Cava that could have been purchased from the local discount supermarket.

The 'famous' crown tebby bear that is left on guests bed (available to purchase for £10 should you be so inclined) was wearing an obviously dirty top. The bathroom was dirty and there was human hair on the dresser in front of the dirty mirror next to our 'champagne'. The view from the window was of the top of the lower level floor roof top that was being used quite aptly as a spa by the local seagull popluation of Scarborough. Suffice to say that our first impressions were less than good after a 5 hour car journey. When expressing our concerns about the room we were told that the hotel was fully booked and that they would send a porter to our room immediately.

We decided at this point to make a quick exit from the hotel in order to familarise ourselves with Scarborough. Upon our return we noticed that the teddy bear had indeed been changed and that the majority of the human hair had been successfully brushed off of the side and onto the floor. Our champagne was quite happily floating on the dissolved ice in our ice bucket.

It was at this point that we decided to consider our options. I wanted to have a shower and upon running the water for the afore mentioned shower in which you had to climb into that bath as there was not separate shower I discovered that the hot water was indeed cold. After referring back to our welcome pack we noticed that the advice was to wait for the water to run and that the water was at a hot setting and as such all children were to be supervised by adults. Alas thank goodness I did not have to worry about the safety of any children in the hotel at this stage. It was a this point that we decided to seek alternative accomodation.

My Partner went back to the lobby to explain our current predicament. A manager then offered us another room to view. This was surprising given our earlier coversation with a staff member who reminded us that hotel was fully booked. We went to view the new room which was superior and had a sea view, (this was not especially important to us but we were grateful for the consideration). I then asked to check the temperature of the water after worrying about the potential scaldning I may encouter only to find that alas the temperature of the water matched that of the previous room's, cold. When the nice chap who showed us this room communicated this issue with his colleagure he started the sentence with 'guess what' which sounds ominous followed by ' yeah water'. After a short while we decided that the water had reached a desired safe temperature and so we took the room. We then went back to our old room and collected our champagne and belongings and after much consideration decided to leave our 'rose petals'.

Our breakfast in bed the following morning was unimpressive. The order card did not successfully stipulate all items on offer correctly. We realsied this when we went down for breakfast on morning two and realised that there is more on offer when you go downstairs. Be careful when arranging breakfast in bed. Crumbs are the least of your worries. It is worth pointing out that room service after 9:30pm is not worthwhile unless you only want a cold sandwich.

The spa was excellent the hotel however should not have aquired it's four stars. It is a shame to see a hotel that could have potential to be so sloppy in effort and consdieration of guests. The new room was ok but the entire experience was ruined by the poor start to our break. Yorkshire was beautiful and I think a rethink to surrounding Bridlington or Whitby would be advisable.

5  Thank hippyhantraveller
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2011

May I first of all apologise for the inconveniences that you experienced during your recent stay, I am always extremely disappointed when we do not meet the expectations of our customers but do not feel that your review is a true representation of the crown or your stay. I am sure that your 5 hour journey over a bank holiday along with the room allocated has impacted your review.

After looking at the management log and your reservation it is clear that you booked a standard double room which did unfortunately have the view of a roof. On hearing your concerns the assistant manager along with the porter thoroughly cleaned the room and hoover throughout, at this stage you mentioned that there was no hot water in the room so he felt it would be easier to move rooms, not only did he move your room but allocated a room that was a superior feature with a sea view and balcony this room would have been an addition £60 per night but was given free of charge to recompense for your inconveniences. The manager did later check room 221 and found that once he had turned the taps to hot that hot water did appear.

Nowhere do we advertise that we serve champagne with our romance package, champagne is available as an upgrade at an extra charge which I have checked and was not ordered by yourself. We serve Blanc de Blanc which is a sparkling wine made from the same grape variety as champagne. The champagne was put on ice for your arrival at 12 noon and could quite easily have been replenished had this been requested. Below is the exact wording taken from our web site stating what is available with the package. Continental breakfast served in your room, scented bath oil, silk rose petals on your bed on arrival and a chilled bottle of sparkling wine. Evening turndown service, leisure club, noon check-in, noon check-out.

Once again I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations and hope that any future customer reading both your review and my comments will be able to see that we do deal with customer complaints very quickly and aim to satisfy customers at any cost.

Reviewed May 31, 2011

I've just returned from 2 nights at Crown Spa, we had a great time - despite the weather being a bit drizzly at times. Scarborough's got lots to do - restaurants, bars, the beach and we also cycled up to Robin Hoods bay on the Cinder Track which was a really good cycling track off the roads. The staff were able to recommend places to visit, help us with storing our bikes, ordering taxis for evenings out etc.

There's quite a mix of guests at the hotel and a large lounge area as you walk in, over looking the sea, where you get a nice cream tea or a gin and tonic before dinner. I wouldn't say it has the feel down here of an exclusive or boutique hotel really, but it's perfectly nice and the well stocked bar has everything you'd need. Lots of attention to detail on how we'd like our drinks serving etc.

The room we had was really lovely, one of the penthouses (not facing the sea), but with views over Scarborough and a telescope so you can have a good look at stuff. Recently decorated and kitted out we had all mod cons in the room (fridge, safe, ironing board, ipod charger, connection for laptop to TV screen etc etc), plus dressing gowns, a fantastic hairdryer with loads of power and a wall mounted TV at the end of the (double ended) bath made the bathroom a lovely place to hang out.

Room service was also very handy - A pint of coke was promptly delivered to sort out my not insignificant hangover on Sunday morning. As was the late check out option, £5 for every hour you want to stay in the room past 11am.

The hotel spa has a steam room, a cool room, two saunas, a wonderfully large jacuzzi, footspas and a pool. It's down in the bowels of the hotel, but again, perfectly nice and a great way to avoid inclement weather for a few hours.

The hotel gives street parking passes to guests, and is well located in Scarborough near the Spa Complex at the south end of the south beach, a 5 or 10 minute walk to the beach, front or the centre of town.

Very few things to improve on, but it seems the manager likes feedback ;)
- a couple of large carpet stains in our room weren't very pretty
- the breakfast experience could be a bit more polished, smooth running, calm
- providing slippers for walking down to the spa from our room would have been nice

Overall though very, very, enjoyable, lots of attention to small details and very well appointed, I think you'll see us again, and we'd recommend it to others. Big thanks to all the staff, especially the porters who helped with the bikes and bags.

2  Thank ShelovesEcudaor

Thank you so much for a very positive review and I’m pleased that you did enjoy Scarborough and the surrounding areas. I will pass on your kind words to all of the staff and especially the porters.

Slippers are available upon request from reception and we would have been more than happy to have delivered them to your room to add to your comfort.

As you do state in your review I do like feedback, however it would be great if you could send me an email to davidchambers@crownspahotel.com and let me know which was the room you were in this would enable me to sort out the issues with the carpet.

Once again thanks for a great review and we do look forward to seeing you again sometime in the not too distant future.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

I booked the Crown Spa for a special weekend by the sea.
My companion was special.
The location was special.
The room size was special.
The view was special.

The bathroom was not special-with the strange glass partition at the top it felt part of the room just fenced off.
The bar staff and waiting staff were not special- did not listen to orders because they were dealing with other things.At breakfast there were 2 people controlling table sitting -we were still shown to the wrong table.
Value for money ? £191.45 on Saturday night - I felt a little cheated .

Hotel good but not special.

1  Thank christoferLeicester

May I first of all apologise for the inconveniences that you experienced during your recent stay, I do feel that had your issues been brought to my attention during your stay this review may have said the hotel was special as I feel we can always resolve any issues that our customers may have. The glass above the bathroom in room 104 was the only way that we could incorporate a bathroom without damaging the ornate plasterwork in what is a grade 2 listed building, I am sorry it wasn’t to your taste and can assure you had you asked to be moved we would have been more than happy to have done this.

I can only assume that you were with us over the bank holiday weekend when it was extremely busy and do believe that at times the staff may have been a little rushed. I have checked the hotel log and can see no comments regarding your displeasure at the service you had received so an opportunity for us to resolve the problems was not offered.

Once again thanks you for the review and we do hope that if you return to Scarborough you will choose the Crown and give us the opportunity to show you that we can be a special hotel

Reviewed May 30, 2011

My Partner and I stayed at the Crown Spa for three nights over the bank holiday weekend we picked this hotel because of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor and yes it's a really nice hotel with very professional and polite staff in fact every member of staff we encountered were a credit to the hotel!

The pool is very small but OK for a quick dip we both enjoyed the sauna and steam rooms and had a very nice and relaxing time.

The Crown Spa website is really good it shows you all the possible room types avaliable fantastic but what if you don't posses a credit card?

I emailed the hotel twice once to try and book a particular room and once after my Partner had booked via bookings.com (as neither my Partner or myself own a credit card) to see if we could upgrade our room type to the one we wanted and did not get any response I was a little dissapointed by this lack of communication.

But that said the Crown Spa is a very good hotel and well worth it's four star status just wish I would of had some communication regarding our booking a response to an email from a customer is the least I would expect.

1  Thank Andrew H

First of all thanks for a great review. It is so nice when our customers make a booking based on what they read on trip advisor, we do receive a great deal of positive feedback on trip advisor and all reviews are responded to within a week of them appearing or after issues have been investigated, however we are often the victim of biased complaints but I do feel having the option to respond helps future customers sort out what is valid and what is not.

If you could send me an email to davidchambers@crownspahotel.com from the address that you used during your reservation I will be able to search the system and sort out what went wrong at your time of booking.

Your kind comments regarding the staff will be passed on at our weekly management meeting as well as being printed in the staff newsletter.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

This hotel is a must-stay, if your in Scarborough. It is without doubt outstanding for excellence of service, cleanliness and decor. Lovely place to relax and unwind.

Also an added bonus is the spa-treatment rooms, offering massage, mud-bath etc..
and the staff where extremely helpful

Highly recommended

Room Tip: Best offers for rooms are via the website/internet
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo

Thanks for a great review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed both the hotel and the spa therapies. I must also agree that some great deals can be found on the hotel website or booking direct with the hotel.