“Dreadful”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Booked in advance a superior double with sea view, what we actually got was a double room with a rancid smell both in the room itself and the barhroom.
The walls and curtains were stained and had mould and damp surrounding them. The windows were damp and rotten, the carpet stained and the room was freezing as the heating was on a timer! The bathroom light only worked when it felt like it, the bath panel was peeling, the shower wouldn't work, the floor was stained, the loo roll was like sandpaper, and the towels had never experienced softner as they were so rough.As I used the loo roll, the holder came of the wall!
The room hadn't been serviced in the 2 days of our stay, and when I phoned down to reception to ask for clean towels, I was made to feel as though I shouldn't have asked.
I bought scented candles to try and disguise the smell of the room and bathroom but it never fully worked.
On wondering around the hotel, we observed a diffrent service on lower floors and realised that the higher the floor, the poorer the service. We were floor 5 and the hallways carpets and heating were terrible until you got to the lower floor where you found carpets were immaculate, the heating was on and the toilets only had Andrex loo roll, the towels were luxuriosly soft and everywhere smelt fresh and clean, it really was another world and you would never think you were in the same hotel.
I have never wrote or complained about a hotel before, but this one clearly warrrants one.
I would never stay here again, it really was dreadful and not at all nice. It that was a superior room, I dread ti think waht a standard is.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,496)

Reviewed February 19, 2011

We spent four nights at the royal from 7th to 10th February.
Before booking I read some of the rather mixed reviews here, reading many of which I would not have believed they were reviewing the same hotel. The hotel is best described as an aging but still beautiful and grand old victorian seaside hotel. The stairwell in the main entrence is quite stunning,. Some of the pictures on the walls reflect the fact that a previous owner, the brother of actor Charles Laughton who was a great collector of paintings once owned the hotel. The hotel does show its age, which without the expenditure of an awful lot of money is inevitable. That said, rooms here are available at extremely reasonable rates out of season,and the hotel is in a prime position. The food which was included in our stay was of consistently high quality and quantity, and all the staff barring one out of many (there is always one) were very affable. The owner is a most pleasant man. We will almost certainly go again next year.

1  Thank Jimbob005
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Sauna, steam room and jacuzzi not working in the so called spa. Damp and peeling paint to sauna. Poor service as the hote staff did not seem to know their own offers. I had to explain them 4 times before i got what i paid for. I will never return!

Reviewed February 15, 2011

This is the second time we have stopped at the Royal. The Hotel is well placed within the town, for shopping, sight seeing and beach. We booked a seaview room this time and it was worth the £10 extra. The food at the hotel is BRILLIANT and one of the reasons we came back again, the staff in the restaurant are very good. The drinks at the bar a very expensive but the bar man did tell us what the cost was before pouring them which was a breath of fresh air instead of giving us a shock with the cost. The rooms could do with a bit of updating and more care taking with the cleaning (cobwebs near curtains).
My husband and I are going back again in June and will make our January visit an annual one for we really enjoy the area, the hotel and food. Thank you to the Royal you have become a favorite to us.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2011

This hotel's jacuzzi is NOT WORKING and the sauna room is UNAVAILABLE because it is full of junk. We have stayed in this hotel before and really liked it so thought we would book it again because it had the jacuzzi and sauna but the jacuzzi had a notice saying not available and when my husband asked why the guy at the pool desk said it had not worked properly for ages. The sauna was full of old paint tins ect so we could not go in there either. When my husband complained at reception the the lady said she DID NOT KNOW that the jacuzzi had not been working. She gave my husband a form to complain but there was nowhere to complain on the form ! I think its a great shame about this because otherwise the hotel is lovely. I would like to know how they can advertise something they do not have or is unavailable ? Surely trading standards would not allow it ? Or do they not know ?

Reviewed February 6, 2011

We were made welcome from the moment we walked in the doors to the time of leaving.Staff and managers just great, hotel so clean bedroom with new beds & pillows all refurbished, and the meals what a choice I will have to diet now I am home.
We could not fault this Hotel and we are thinking of bringing a coach dancing party either at the end of this year or early next year.
Once again thank you to everyone for making our stay so great.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2011

My partner and I along with my mum and dad decided that we wanted a complete break from all the entertaining at home over christmas and decided to book in to the Royal and be looked after for a change.
I have mobility problems and so does my mum but we felt that for a traditional hotel,the Royal bent over backwards to cater for people who were more infirm than us.Everyone was treated equally whether young or old and it was lovely to see families of different generations spending their xmas together.
I have been in the catering trade all my life and have very high expectations as a consequence of this.We thoroughly enjoyed our meals and felt that it was fantastic value for money.Have any of the contributors to this thread,actually checked how much other hotels were charging over the Christmas period? I did my homework and feel that we did very well for what we paid.
Our men folk had a slight gripe over the cost of drinks,especially as we are not great alcohol drinkers anyway and soft drinks were very pricey.It is something that you find in hotels anyway so,my motto is,if it is too expensive,just drink less.
Although the entertainment suited me down to the ground as although I cannot dance,I love to watch others,my partner said he would have liked a bit more variety.Maybe something to make a note of management?
All in all,a very good experience.We are already saving for next Christmas

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family