“Not as bad as the reviews say”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Derby
“Not as bad as the reviews say”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Very good location and the hotel has lots of character, many hotels similar to this do need some TLC but the economic times mean they can't afford to due to the competition. Apart from that very enjoyable stay, okay the seagulls keep you awake at night, but you are at the seaside what do you expect, this isn't the hotels fault !!. Our bedroom apart from a few areas needing a touch up was spacious and comfortable. There was plenty of entertainment at night and you could also go to the Grand Hotel around the corner to enjoy their entertainment. There was a good choice at breakfast and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Simon Powell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 17, 2014

My partner and I both work in a hotel so we can quickly pick up on customer service skills etc!

We both found reception unfriendly and not very helpful.

The room was basic... in fairness ours was 'Ok' compared to many of the reviews i've read on here, but still the wallpaper was peeling off and cabinate doors were dropping.

Location was fab.

Car parking... you have to pay £10.00 in a multistory car park 5 mins down the road & breakfast was.. cheap.. but that was expected!

We also used the pool facilities. Think we paid £7.00 in total for entry and 2 towels. Jacuzzi was closed... the area was grubby and you just felt dirty.

Such a shame.. as you can tell that once upon a time the building was Grand and very Royal like but seems it has been neglected over many years which is how it has ended up how it is.

Room Tip: Clean one if your lucky!
1 Thank Livvydancer
Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Simon Powell

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Was no doubt rather grand in its time but that was clearly many years ago! We had a nosey around & some rooms have clearly been updated - our had not!!

We stayed in a standard double room (number 246) which we found on a web site for £120. For our money we got: a view of the back of the hotel which was very dirty, a wonky floor, a toilet that needed help flushing, a TV with a broken aerial that only had 1 working channel if we didn't move around too much, a hole in the wall & it was far too warm for Summer.

Too unacceptable!!

Room Tip: Go stay at another hotel!!
2 Thank Rachel M

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I've taken loads of photos and will be putting them on the social websites . awful . Awful.the wardrobe as soon as walk in goes on a 36 degree slant.the TV can't get signal because of the indoor aerial. No wifi connection when it says it has.shower head leaking.bath towel still with the last residents hair.do not , I repeat do not come to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank smartcore

Huddersfield
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Tired shabby hotel, short staffed ar breakfast, extra charge for use of the pool, £50 per night deposit, non of wich was on the web site information.
Would I recomend this hotel !!!!! don't thinkso.
I did stay here several time 20 yrs ago oh how the mighty have fallen.

Room Tip: Don't bother
3 Thank blencoron
I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We last stayed at this hotel 2 years ago when Britannia Hotels had just taken over the Royal, and at that time it was looking very tired and in urgent need of some refurbishment. We have just returned from a return visit c/o Groupon which was definitely value for money. However the hotel is still looking very 'tired' and in need of refurbishment in certain areas. The main public rooms and the wonderful foyer are as majestic as ever, but some of the bedrooms were still as drab as 2 years ago and in urgent need of refurbishment. Our bedroom had been recently decorated but the fittings were very old indeed - the shower head was disgusting (see attached photo). On the positive side the hotel staff are very friendly and helpful, the buffet breakfast was very good, with a good choice and well cooked food, and the location of the hotel and views from some of the public rooms was excellent. The negative side are some of the bedrooms, and although ours was a standard double and fairly spacious, I would not have liked to pay the full standard rate for it. Using a Groupon Deal we felt we did have value for money. Please Britannia Hotel inject some money into this wonderful building!

Room Tip: Perhaps pay the 'extra' for a better room?
1 Thank Maggs36

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We have just returned from a couple of days at the Royal.It is a sad old lady that is in need of a full refit.The grand staircase gives a false impression of grandure.We booked a superior sea view room which was on the fifth floor,the first problem is trying to get the lift which is very busy and is also used as a goods lift,so you share the lift with workmen taking up furniture etc.
Our room had a bed room which was nicely furnished and a lounge with shabby,grubby sofa and chairs.Once on the sofa it was hard to get out as the spring had given up the ghost.
As for the sea view,we could see some sea but mostly we could see the back of the Grand Hotel,that's if you didn't mind viewing through very dirty windows.If you were sitting down you could only see the sky thanks to the wall that ran along the outside of the window.
When we went for our first breakfast we waited some time to be seated as there were no staff to be seen.eventually somebody came and said "good morning"I jokingly said "good afternoon"to which he replied "oh you've only been waiting 5 minutes.Couldn't believe this. The breakfast wasn't bad but the cold section was poor.
After a day out returning at about 16.45 we went to our room to find the bed had not been made other than my tidying,when we were going out I mentioned this to the receptionist,Ed,and he said "they don't always make the beds."This is unbelievable,I have never come across this in any hotel in any country before.I don't want to recount the reasons at this time but this young man,Ed, is in the wrong profession he should not be dealing with the public he is rude and unbelievably nastie.My experience has left me unlikely to use a Britania Hotel again.
Just to finish may I advise you not to buy the parking vouchers as they don't tell you it does not guarantee a space,it is just on certain roads that every one tries to park on.After 18.00 it is free to park anyway till 9am.

3 Thank turk0file