“the royal hotel scaborough”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife and I have just spent a week at the royal , we were part of a glenton coach party.I can honestly say we had a great time, the room we got was spotless, the bathroom was also spotless , the staff were extremely helpfull ,a special mention must go to jackie who worked in the dining area an absolute gem.All in all a great week we would without doubt stay at this great hotel again JOHN AND PEGGY BARKER , FIFE

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank John B
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Simon Powell

Write a ReviewReviews (2,515)

Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is the 2nd time we have stayed at the Royal and it is our favourite UK hotel. We stayed in The Sitwell Suite over Easter. It was light, airy, very comfortable and the views over the harbour are amazing. The hotel is situated on the clifftop with easy access to the beach. The staff are friendly and very helpful, even the breakfast chef greets you with a big smile!
The food was excellent.
It is a lovely hotel full of character. The foyer is a delight and it is a pleasure walking up the spectacular staircase.
We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Chose a suite with a seaview
2  Thank tolicoco

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We arrived without booking a room over the bank holiday weekend. The lady on reception was friendly and very helpful, allowing us to view the room before committing to booking. The last family room available had a spectacular view of the sea (528) and was very spacious. It was slightly dated but we weren't bothered as it was basically somewhere to sleep for the night!

Breakfast was fine, staff lovely and helpful especially since we had our 9 month old son!

Definitely recommend this hotel and would love to stay here again, longer than 1 night next time too. :-)

1  Thank Lissa F
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

My sister, niece and I arrived on Easter Saturday and were greeted by lovely staff who told us where best to park for the night. NB - you can get a scratch card £3 for road parking for day and night near the Grand or on the crescent. We did this the next day and left our car there until 1.30pm on Monday.

We were in a suite (502) which was lovely and clean, tea and coffee facilities, big screen tv's, hairdryer, ironing board, iron and had great views over the harbour. The bathroom was bright and airy, had a shower which was red hot, heated towel rail, complimentary shower gels and shampoos and also very clean.

We drank in the bar and ate in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner, also enjoying the entertainment at night.

There is a lovely sitting room - the Prince Regent room - upstairs which leads to an outside sheltered terrace area (no covered part for smokers if raining though!) overlooking Scarborough sea front and the tramway station - beautiful views. We enjoyed drinks on here which we bought in the bar downstairs and sat soaking in the sun.

We didn't use the spa as the weather was so nice outside, but imagine this will be in line for a complete overhaul.

The location is ideal for the nightlife in Scarborough, the shops and the seafront.

After seeing the hotel last year, I can see improvements and refurbishment being done as a matter of course. I read in the room guide that Brittania only acquired it in 2012 and realise that it takes a while for a grand hotel of this size to be at its best, but I can see the differences from a short visit in September last year.

The history embedded in The Royal can be seen all around from the reception grand staircases (which I imagined all the Victorian ladies in their fine frocks gliding down!) to the seating areas and suites.

I cannot wait to visit again and see more sympathetic renovations that are been carried out and how it is looking, but once it is at its 5 star prime and all the rooms have been refurbished, the prices will no doubt reflect this and fall outside our affordability! But I will be fortunate enough to say in the future....'I've stayed there and loved it!'

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Denise J

Reviewed April 22, 2014

My partner,teenage son, pet Basset Hound and myself stayed the 1st weekend in April.

We were given the Penthouse on the 5th floor, it was in need of refurbishment but plenty of space.
we used the Restaurant for evening meal and breakfast, all very tasty good food..The toaster was a problem but the buffet breakfast more than compensated with a massive selection to choose from.
The Reception and entrance area was opulent and judging by the work being carried out the hotel was being restored to its former glory. The staff all were friendly and hard working which made for a very pleasant stay, thank you !!

2  Thank TheFergussons
GM-Britannia, Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Travelled with friends for easter sunday, Grand old hotel very spectecular reception, very ornate, check in was very smooth and rooms ready for 3pm,. We stayed in room 402 which looked like it had been recently refurbished and was very nice and comfortable however our friends were in 247 and said was a bit dated so under impression rooms may be getting updated gradually, the bar area was very comfortable and relaxing, breakfast was ample and lots of choice, only critism I would have for this hotel was the spa and pool i would have thought if you was a hotel resident the pool would have been free with the hotel.however you had to pay and also had to pay for use of the towels, one member of staff on reception of the spa and she very forthcoming and was quite miserable this was commented by a few people in the spa area. All in all was a very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in 402 was a very nicely decorated room, top floor but lifts available
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank samdaz1408

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed here on September 6, 2013 for one night. I had a room on the fourth floor. My bed was infested with bed bugs (it was not just one or two). There were blood stains on the bed linen. I went to the reception to complain, and they did not allow me back in my room. I slept in another room (no bed bugs in that room), and the next morning complained to the manager. They told me this was the first time they'd heard of bed bugs in their hotel (they lied, because there are other bed bug reports for this hotel here on trip advisor). They said they'd contact me, which they didn't.
I have now decided to put this review here, because I had to throw away most of my belongings in order not to bring bed bugs back home.

Room Tip: Rooms have bed bugs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank João T

Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.